What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Project complete

von_flyer

Well Known Member
Advertiser
Conversion project complete

Never guess where my preference lies.

Before

image_zps9k9wkm5u.jpeg

After

image_zpssvzmpev4.jpeg

Last edited:
nice paint job

She looks sweet and I wish I could get my mojo working and finish mine. This helps thanks for the photo.

How many hours to convert? Looks great. Bruce

We didn't log actual hours but I will say three of us had it on the conventional gear in one week and it was flying 4 months later... The most work intensive part turned out to be the cowl modifications. The 7 mount moved the engine about 3/4" forward. Brother Dave, friends Roy and Pat helped. Pat did the HS SB mods while we had the tail off. The goal throughout the project was to meet Gary Kremer's original build quality. He set the bar quite high. Painting was done by Danny King who did the original paint.

I would just add that anyone contemplating this mod or anyone coming across this thread in the future, there were a lot of unanticipated issues that cropped up along the way--all solvable, but it would help to contact someone who has been through this before getting started with the project. There are no Vans "plans" for this, so it pays to do the research prior to beginning. Having done this, John and his brother Dave have acquired a wealth of experience, so I would contact them for an overview if you're thinking about doing it. In John's case he was looking for the nicest possible RV-7 out there. The one he found happened to be a 7A, and I commend him for getting the nicest airplane available and then making it the way he wanted it! I think he'd be the first to tell you, however, that it was a lot more work than he had anticipated! But it was well worth it in my opinion!

I can't answer the question about the speed increase, but John did fly it alongside my RV-6 after it was done for a full-power comparison and they were pretty even, basically same engine and prop. And my -6 is pretty fast!

I went the other way on my build. There are several things you learn, but I believe it is easier to go from tail wheel to nose wheel like I did. I did not remove the tail wheel hardware that is in the tail cone. It probably adds a couple pounds in the worst spot, but I didn't want to risk messing up the skin. It may be fun to stick the tail wheel on just to get a reaction from people.

Weight and speed

The empty weight was reduced 23 lbs. The main gear mounts in the fuselage were removed for weight reduction and increased floor space (foot room). The empty CG move rearward 0.03"! Same scales were used for weighing just before conversion and just after.

Speed increase at WOT looks to be about 4 mph. Not enough data was recorded prior to the change to confirm an exact difference but there is a noticeable change.

Handles extremely well on the ground. I have over two thousand hours of taildragger time and this is one of the most tame and controllable TDs that I have flown. It tracks straight. The JD Air tailwheel is a great setup.

I also again want to thank my brother Dave for his above and beyond efforts in making this possible and Roy for his valuable experience and help as well.

Very nice job

John,
You guys did an outstanding job! It's not easy selling your pride and joy, especially after 1200 hours of wonderful trips, early morning breakfasts and everything in between.
I knew from the moment I met you and Diane N715AB would be in good hands. Still can't believe you drove 2.5 hours in the middle of winter (Michigan) to take a look even though you were really looking for a tail dragger. Looking forward to having you fly over.

Gary

N359AB Pulsar built and sold
N715AB RV7A build and sold
N325AB Highlander build and having a ball
N100JV RV10 purchased, love the x country capability

Gary - I never stop thinking how fortunate I am to be the curator of AB. The quality of your work and attention to detail has been commented on everywhere I take her. As I said, the goal of the conversion was to maintain YOUR level of craftsmanship. I can only imagine spending that effort and then letting it go into other hands. Many here on the VAF site probably can share that feeling. I have to give most of the credit to my brother Dave, a true perfectionist, who did most the work as it was in Florida at his place while I was up in Michigan except a couple weeks to help out. Dian and I have enjoyed AB and will for some time to come. Among our frequent trips to Mackinac Island and other places, I will be brushing up my IFR skills. We look forward to flying to your place where I would like for you to take me for a ride in AB!

And again, thank you for selling me your airplane.

Welcome to the club!
It's a short list of us who've made the change. But, the list is getting longer.
I'm happy to have done it and have never looked back.

I had 1 hr TW time and received my endorsement flying my new converted 7.

Here's my hybrid picture.
RV7_Hybrid.jpg

Last edited:
Back