What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Deletions from fuselage order

Good day all. I have been in contact with a couple builders who are ahead of me on my build and wanted a bigger polling pool. I'm ready to order the fuselage and want to delete the items I'm not going to need and replace with "better" aftermarket items. I have a list of parts from an awesome builder that have me deleting the windows, fuel selector, flap motor, and some rudder peddle items. Do any of you have a list of parts you had omitted from your fuselage order. It's going to save money and prevent me from doing things twice. I saw one guy use braided fuel lines but I don't remember where that was. They were all cut to size and seem to work great. Thanks for any input.

It is all a matter of opinion. I didn't replace any of those things and am very satisfied with how my completed fuselage turned out.

...maybe

"...I have a list of parts from an awesome builder that have me deleting the windows, fuel selector, flap motor, and some rudder peddle items..."

I had the stock windows delivered with the kit; ended up with Cee Bailey windows. The Cee Bailey windows took FAR less time to fit and didn't have the bubble on the lower right edge of the windscreen. Decide now because once the stock windows are delivered, shipping them anywhere else will be cost prohibitive.

Fuel selector - I have EFII and needed a duplex valve so deleting it was a no brainer. The Andair valve is a thing of beauty, the stock valve is something you might find on a lawn mower or gas grill.

The PH Aviation fall actuator is wonderful; well built, quiet, and it has the position sensor built into it. Highly recommended.

I really wanted the Control Approach rudder pedals...unfortunately, Paul was not making them at the time I needed them, and a decision was required. I have the stock pedals. They work fine but Pauls are much more refined.

Also realize that the when you send parts back to Vans, you will be credited with the "kit price" of those parts and NOT the retail price listed on the website store. The return credit is typically much less than the retail price...

Good day all. I have been in contact with a couple builders who are ahead of me on my build and wanted a bigger polling pool. I'm ready to order the fuselage and want to delete the items I'm not going to need and replace with "better" aftermarket items. I have a list of parts from an awesome builder that have me deleting the windows, fuel selector, flap motor, and some rudder peddle items. Do any of you have a list of parts you had omitted from your fuselage order. It's going to save money and prevent me from doing things twice. I saw one guy use braided fuel lines but I don't remember where that was. They were all cut to size and seem to work great. Thanks for any input.

Dave,

Congrats on your choice for your first build. The -10 is an incredible airplane.

If you are looking for the braided stainless conductive teflon fuel and/or brake lines for your aircraft, Tom and I would appreciate the opportunity to work with you.

http://aircraftspecialty.com/rv10products.html

The link above shows some of the different configurations we offer for the RV-10.

If you're going to be at Oshkosh, come see us at booth 948 on the south end of the field.

Steve

Here is what I changed (mine should have gone to crating yesterday):

ADD:
- SB-00002 rudder hinge kit
- 1ea. ACCESS PANEL KIT - ACCESS HATCH INSTL FOR RV7/9/10/14
- 1ea. 10 ADAHRS BRACKET KIT - RV-10 ADAHRS bracket kit

REMOVE:
- ES 85615-10 FLAP MOTOR

If you have your center section already, be sure the revision kit is included for the new gear weldments. Van's should have contacted you already but you don't want it lost in the shuffle.

I went back and forth on the PHAviation motor (hence the motor delete) but it seems like a worthwhile upgrade (this is a safety-critical item). I'm not sure if I'll move the stock mount or follow the retrofit instructions. I really don't like that the retrofit notches the stock mount. And I don't like a couple of the built up brackets I've seen on build logs. I may machine up a retrofit bracket.

I almost deleted the fuel valve kit but decided against it. If nothing else I can reuse some fittings and brackets if I go with Andair and/or EFI.

Dave,

Congrats on your choice for your first build. The -10 is an incredible airplane.

If you are looking for the braided stainless conductive teflon fuel and/or brake lines for your aircraft, Tom and I would appreciate the opportunity to work with you.

http://aircraftspecialty.com/rv10products.html

The link above shows some of the different configurations we offer for the RV-10.

If you're going to be at Oshkosh, come see us at booth 948 on the south end of the field.

Steve

I will be there and will find 948.

"...I have a list of parts from an awesome builder that have me deleting the windows, fuel selector, flap motor, and some rudder peddle items..."

Also realize that the when you send parts back to Vans, you will be credited with the "kit price" of those parts and NOT the retail price listed on the website store. The return credit is typically much less than the retail price...

I have deleted those part from the order so I don't have to worry about trying to pay to ship it back. Thank you for your input.

It is all a matter of opinion. I didn't replace any of those things and am very satisfied with how my completed fuselage turned out.

Same here. Happy with the stock items.

I think the only thing I changed was braided brakes lines on the gear legs from bottom of fuselage to the brakes. The solid lines did not seem right to me given the gear leg movement relative to the fuselage. I also added return springs to the brake pedals as it was difficult to sense if I was inadvertently dragging the brakes.

Back