What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Aerobatic guys….

smithflys23

Well Known Member
I’m wondering what you do to minimize oil on your belly.

I have an IO-360, with a Raven full inverted system. It seems that any zero to negative pushes result in oil going out the breather, and onto the belly of my -8.

What level do you keep your oil at?
If I have between 4 and 5 quarts, the mess is reduced substantially.

Has anyone run a breather tube to the tail wheel, similar to what you’d see on an unlimited?

Are there any other tips you can offer?

Any system such as a Raven or Christen needs either positive or negative G.

It is just a big ball bearing rattling up and down that diverts oil one way or another.

If you dither around zero g, the ball bearing wanders and oil will go where it wants...... usually under your belly :D:D:D:D

Man up, or buy blue wipes and avgas

Inverted flight

I have an Aerosport IO-375 with a Raven full system install. If I add more than 6 gallons, it has a tendency to vent excess oil.
In my case, I can go ten or more aerobatic flights with minimal or no oil…and every once in a while I still get some oil on the belly.
I took an old swifter type applicator and wound an old t shirt etc around the applicator and secure it with elastic etc. spray some belly wash on it and run it underneath. I usually have more smoke oil residue flowing back that will drip down the seam to the Tailwheel.

Have a half Raven. Usually fly around 6 quart and never have to add between oil changes. My belly gets pretty dirty but I have a smoke system too which doesn’t help. I just don’t worry about it any more. Oil prevents corrosion after all … .

Oliver

Maintenance?

Just like everything else forward of your firewall the inverted oil system needs occasional maintenance. The oil shuttle valve should be disassembled once in a while to remove gunk and check the ball and ball seats for wear and to insure the ball is freely moving in within the valve.

Where is your cannister mounted? It needs to be as high as possible relative to the engine so oil can return to the sump after inverted flight.

The previous comments about oil quantity are valid. Six quarts is about right. Lycoming says the minimum is two quarts but I wouldn't try it.

Just like everything else forward of your firewall the inverted oil system needs occasional maintenance. The oil shuttle valve should be disassembled once in a while to remove gunk and check the ball and ball seats for wear and to insure the ball is freely moving in within the valve.

Ok. This is something I was thinking about. When I first got the system installed, I don’t remember having this much oil on the belly. That being said, I only have about 200 total hours on the airplane, and maybe 125 on the inverted system.

I just did an oil change and only added 6qts. I flew yesterday, and ran through the known Sportsman once. I also did a few barrels rolls, and loops with rolls on top, then called it a day. The belly was coated with fresh oil when I landed.

The canister is in the standard -8 location on the engine mount.

I’m wondering what you do to minimize oil on your belly.

I have an IO-360, with a Raven full inverted system. It seems that any zero to negative pushes result in oil going out the breather, and onto the belly of my -8.

What level do you keep your oil at?
If I have between 4 and 5 quarts, the mess is reduced substantially.

Has anyone run a breather tube to the tail wheel, similar to what you’d see on an unlimited?

Are there any other tips you can offer?

Just curious - do you have the breather catch tank with the weighted internal check ball? I have this and although don't fly aerobatics still get oil on the belly. It was not worse when a test pilot performed my phase 1 aerobatics.

Just curious - do you have the breather catch tank with the weighted internal check ball? I have this and although don't fly aerobatics still get oil on the belly. It was not worse when a test pilot performed my phase 1 aerobatics.

I have the Raven system. I’m not sure if it has that inside the pot. I believe the Christen system does though.

Ok. This is something I was thinking about. When I first got the system installed, I don’t remember having this much oil on the belly. That being said, I only have about 200 total hours on the airplane, and maybe 125 on the inverted system.

I just did an oil change and only added 6qts. I flew yesterday, and ran through the known Sportsman once. I also did a few barrels rolls, and loops with rolls on top, then called it a day. The belly was coated with fresh oil when I landed.

The canister is in the standard -8 location on the engine mount.

It's hard to say what's unusual based on descriptions like this. As said above my belly gets pretty dirty which I take as normal but its not dripping with oil which it was before I installed the 1/2 Raven. So the 1/2 Raven works really well but is not perfect. At least not in my installation.

Oliver

Back