What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Bolts for temporary mating up fuselage halves?

Rick RV-4

Well Known Member
I’m at the stage where I need to temporarily mate the front and aft lower fuselage assemblies to drill the lower skin holes, and the plans say to use the NAS bolts, which I don’t believe I have yet (doing the wings next).

Has anyone used simple hardware bolts for this stage, and if so do you remember what size?

Thanks

Rick

NAS1306-58 (STEP 8)
NAS1149F0632P NAS1309-58 (STEP 6)
NAS1149F0963P I place the same ones from the wing union that bolt comes in the wing kit

Use stock bolts, I use standard nuts from Home Despot and put some bright pink mason line around the area to remind me not to leave them in :D

I just put the two halves together for the last time and I used 3/8"x5" stainless steel bolts from Home Depot. I didn't put any bolts in the larger holes. I did need 4 washers per bolt because the grip length on the 5" bolts was a little too long. I put 1 under the bolt head and 3 under the nut.

I would also recommend getting four 3/8"x6" bolts and turn them into drift pins by cutting the threads off and then tapering them a bit (I used a belt sander). Using those really helped get everything aligned, and then I was able to swap them out for the 5" bolts.

Back