What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fly Boy super tracks canopy extension

Has anyone installed FlyBoy super tracks on their RV-7? Did you have any trouble installing the tracks? Were you happy with the outcome? And would you know anyone in the Long Island/New York area willing to install them?

yes

I installed during my build. It took me a few days to get everything perfect. I ordered the longer RV-8 slider rail and spacer from Vans to avoid having a break in the track. I make a jig to get the proper curve and used Armstrong to bend the aluminum to the proper shape. Working carefully and thoughtfully, it went together well and I am very happy with the results. If you want to also add the "Almost a 14" mod to recline the seats a little more, I would do it first. I did not add that mod thou. Although I am building a 9, the 7 is the same in this area.

This is a great after-market product. I installed it on my -7A after the canopy was fitted but before first flight. The side rail installation was straight forward, and the company provided a jig/block to aid in installation. On my installation, I had to relocate my ELT antenna because of the extra track installation and additional aft movement of the canopy.

My track extension is not the smoothest, but works ok, and should smooth out over time as the delrin block erodes a little.

Pretty easy install. I had to cut/sand the rear most 1" at about a 45 degree angle so they wouldn't be making contact with the skin. Besides that its just about taking your time and lining things up.

Pic

I too had to trim the back. Here is a pic showing the tdim of the supertracks.

Attachments

• BB4B6451-0BB0-44B0-8DCB-E4D2162B38CC.jpg
    BB4B6451-0BB0-44B0-8DCB-E4D2162B38CC.jpg
    256.2 KB · Views: 248
Great product

Tony, I installed this in my flying 7A several years ago - No issues with install, I’m very happy and recommend it. Easier to - get in/out of the plane, get baggage in/out, get my body into the baggage area to remove the bulkhead during inspections, etc.

Supertracks

I installed during the build. Slightly different.
I didn't use the RV8 track. I ordered the raw materials from Vans and fabricated tracks matching the 7 but longer. I also had the parts powdercoated. They fit and work perfectly.
Lots of photos on my blog.

I installed near the end of the build. I’m slow and it took longer than I anticipated but that’s the story of everything on my plane. They are great and I couldn’t imagine baggage access without them.

I added them to my flying 9. Took a little longer than Blake said it would. But we got it about as perfect as it could be. Canopy slides smoothly. Excellent and highly recommended mod.

Gamechanger

This mod is a game changer. Everytime you go to put stuff in the back when traveling you will be glad you did it.

Flyboy super tracks

I have had the fly boy super tracks installed on my RV7. The job was completed by Eds Aircraft @HWV 516 885 5077. He did a terrific job I could not be happier,all the parts were painted before installing.The canopy works great and the additional access is a real plus .A great mod.

Back