What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Types of paint

Sam_B

Well Known Member
Sponsor
Hello all,

My hangar neighbor here at 3T3 has a paint booth as part of his business, and he was kind enough to offer me the use of it for my -8 as I need. I?m getting to the point where I could shoot paint on some things this winter. Though I?ve painted cars back when I was in high school some 20 years ago, my guess is that aluminum is a whole different animal. I searched to find threads on what paint to use, but came up empty handed, so I?m asking those that have gone before.... what did you use, what are the advantages/disadvantages. Would you use something different if you were to do it again, etc. I?m hoping this thread serves as a good objective discussion on what type/brand paint to use for those of us cheapskates who want to shoot paint ourselves.

Best regards,
Sam

Sam,

I used DuPont automotive paint, base coat / clear coat. If I were to do it again, I would probably go with single stage as it is easier to touch up later when you have to repaint your wheel pants, gearlegs, etc.

Also, I highly recommend you stick with paint codes from production cars. That way it is much easier to match in the future.

Last edited:
Paint

I asked a old friend who is a pro aircraft painter what he would use on his own small aircraft. Told him I wanted the best balance between durability, ease of application, ease of touch up, cost, local availability ect and of course it had to look good. His choice would be PPG Concept DCC (single stage) for the exterior, PPG Shopline with a hardener on the interior and he loves JetGlo 483-505 primer for fiberglass and all metal. I certainly would agree that a stock auto color has advantages down the road. My local auto paint shop supply vendor can put custom mixed enamel in a aerosol can which is handy for touch ups.

Don Broussard
RV9 Rebuild in Progress
57 Pacer

A fair amount of acceptable options from both aircraft specific and automotive paints, both single stage and base/clear systems. I would slightly lean towards single stage for the novice painter. Don?t overlook proper prep and a primer specific to aluminum that will promote adhesion and prevent corrosion.

A fair amount of acceptable options from both aircraft specific and automotive paints, both single stage and base/clear systems. I would slightly lean towards single stage for the novice painter. Don?t overlook proper prep and a primer specific to aluminum that will promote adhesion and prevent corrosion.

While I believe Single stage is a good option for weight reduction and chip resistance, I wouldn't recommend it for a beginner. Runs are a reality for novice painters and SS is basicly clear coat in that regard. The problem is that most SS paints don't use urethame pigments and only a very thin layer of pigment free clear rises to the surface. If you have to sand anything before buffing, you will break into the pigments and will see color and sheen variations there. Southern polyurethanes sells nice SS paint with urethane pigments that will not have this issue. However, they have only a few colors to choose from.

Larry

While I believe Single stage is a good option for weight reduction and chip resistance, I wouldn't recommend it for a beginner. Runs are a reality for novice painters and SS is basicly clear coat in that regard. The problem is that most SS paints don't use urethame pigments and only a very thin layer of pigment free clear rises to the surface. If you have to sand anything before buffing, you will break into the pigments and will see color and sheen variations there. Southern polyurethanes sells nice SS paint with urethane pigments that will not have this issue. However, they have only a few colors to choose from.

Larry

Fair point, single stage paint doesn?t lend itself well to cut and polish. Although if one is going to produce runs spraying single stage color they probably will spraying clear as well. Successfully sanding out and polishing imperfections is tedious, time consuming procedure in itself with risk of paint damage.

I'm very much a novice painter but I've had great success with PPG Concept both single and 2 stage (DBC & DCU). The base coat for metallics lays down very smooth and I never have had an issue with streaking or color variations like single stage metallics. I also like their K35 high build primer. Expensive stuff but worth it to me.

Fair point, single stage paint doesn’t lend itself well to cut and polish. Although if one is going to produce runs spraying single stage color they probably will spraying clear as well. Successfully sanding out and polishing imperfections is tedious, time consuming procedure in itself with risk of paint damage.

Agreed, SS is no more likely to run than clear. However, clear coat is easily repairable, especially compared to SS. Therefore a better choice for a novice. Hence my recommendation. If a novice isn't prepared for the tedious work of repair and cut and buff, they would be wise to skip the attempt. I simply can't see a first time painter doing somethinkg like a full plane and some of the complex to spray parts without numerous runs. No way a first time painter lays down nice slick clear that doesn't need a cut and buff.

Larry

Last edited:
Thanks!

Thanks everyone! This was exactly the type of discussion I was looking for.

Best regards,

Sam

As a datapoint, I've painted several projects including my RV-6 with PPG Concept single stage. I've always considered single stage (non-metallic) to be an excellent choice for a novice painter. Each of my projects needed some cutting and buffing and they all responding nicely to the extra finishing.

The RV-6 is twenty years old now and still receives compliments on how well the paint has held up. From the archives of the previous century (millennium):

A Novice Painter Shoots an RV-6

Back