What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

300HP ROCKET RV 14 Tips Please

Rocket 14 Captain

I'm New Here
RV 14 with the edge performance EPeX300Ti - 300HP Aero-engine. The engine weighs as much as a Rotax 915 so about 100LBS less than the motor that belongs in this airplane. The motor mount location was moved 22inches forward of the original location to help with CG.

Attachments

• Rocket RV14.png
    Rocket RV14.png
    59.1 KB · Views: 260
  • 14 paint.png
    14 paint.png
    50.7 KB · Views: 283
  • epex300ti-300hp-aero-engine (1).jpg
    epex300ti-300hp-aero-engine (1).jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 375
  • epex300ti-300hp-aero-engine.jpg
    epex300ti-300hp-aero-engine.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 443
You'll probably need more vertical stabilizer or a dorsal fin to counteract move the engine forward.

I'd be surprised if the turbocharger stays in place for very long. It appears to only be supported by the headers and I don't see any slip joints or bellows there to take up thermal expansion.

Gearbox looks way too small to handle 300hp for very long and with this being a 1 liter engine, I wouldn't expect it to deliver 300hp for any length of time either. Factory ratings for the late model factory engines are around 160hp which seems more realistic. Typically, most of these have been fitted to STOL aircraft where high hp is used for takeoff then throttled way down. No installation I've seen yet has a rad setup capable of dissipating the heat of 300 hp for more than a minute on a hot day at climb speeds.

What prop will be used? Turbos don't work very well at altitude with fixed pitch props.

Last edited:
-14 rocket

I love the idea of homebuilders actually designing new stuff. That is the entire purpose of EAB. With that said at 210Hp I can’t use WOT below 8000’ without entering the yellow arc and a turbo charger will likely cause Vne concerns. Additionally, moving the engine forward will help with weight and balance, but it may change the longitudinal stability. Concerns aside, I look forward to your progress.

Last edited:
- Taildragger is good
- Turbo is no good (almost no turbo RVs around), difficult to realize
- That paint scheme would be cool

Last edited:
I like the idea of people experimentalling outside of the envelope. I like it even more to see it flies or it is just another Iranian photoshop job.

Trask, it's a poor match of airframe and engine...both of which, taken individually, are pretty cool.

Really like the engine? Put the Yamaha on something slick and lightweight, like a modified fastback RV-3. HP hugely benefits climb, as does weight reduction. For a given weight, rate is directly proportional to excess power. Low drag is more effective for speed. A small, slick airframe would allow pulling the power way back for the vast majority of flight time, which mitigates a lot of the engine stress risk while still cruising near VNE. Fun part would be the climb rate.

Last edited:
I'm thinking heat would be a real issue at 300 hp. Steve Henry uses this engine but only full power for short burst due to heat. Like others have said, would be awesome in a light weight STOL aircraft.

I’ve flown that engine in Steve Henry’s plane, and it is awesome .... for that purpose. It’s a very specialized purpose, and lots of fun, but not what the -14 airframe was designed for.

I agree with those that are saying it probably won’t do what you want in a -14 airframe. I like Dan’s idea of seeing what it would do in a -3 airframe, but honestly, you’d only be able to use it in short bursts of climb, because I can easily over speed our 160 HP RV-3 with a constant speed prop at sea level in level flight already.

PT6 and reversed landing gear

Now THAT would be a rocket. However a baby PT-6 burns 15gph at idle and full beans is about 75gph. On any RV airframe, the engine will cruise just off idle, so be somewhere in the middle, maybe 35gph? Are the fuel tanks big enough? But 680hp would be so much fun for that 30 minute flight.

Now THAT would be a rocket. However a baby PT-6 burns 15gph at idle and full beans is about 75gph. On any RV airframe, the engine will cruise just off idle, so be somewhere in the middle, maybe 35gph? Are the fuel tanks big enough? But 680hp would be so much fun for that 30 minute flight.

Fly it like a ME163........

Take off and climb as high as you can and then glide in for a dead-stick landing.

RV 14 with the edge performance EPeX300Ti - 300HP Aero-engine. The engine weighs as much as a Rotax 915 so about 100LBS less than the motor that belongs in this airplane. The motor mount location was moved 22inches forward of the original location to help with CG.

Curious whether this engine/plane combo is flying?

Aft window delete and fastback?

Yeah the fastback look is pretty sick.. I always felt the -14 looks weird with the dip behind the canopy.. I was excited when I saw the title “300 hp” thinking you were going to build it with a 6 cylinder Lycoming or Continental.. like Mills Rocket Six perhaps.. thicker skins, titanium gear, extra fuel.. that would be cool!

Back