What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

SDS CPI-2 Ignition

Badia358

Just wanted to provide an update. I installed the SDS CPI-2 in my RV-6A (Lycoming O-360). Installation went well and all testing went very well. Engine is running great.

I also like to say a big THNAK YOU to Ross and Barry for their help during the selection and the installation process. Excellent customer support.

Thank you...

:)

I second that. I’ve been flying a CPi2 for a year now on an H2, and it’s been great. Great support, although I’ve not needed any past my initial install.

My experience is similar. Been running the dual CPI-2 for just over a year now. Very happy with the performance. The low RPM idle is smooth. Starts easily when hot.

Ross and Barry are awesome.

Waiting to hear back from Ross - had to leave a VM today. I know he'll call, but here's my question:

Out flying the -10 today and realized I hadn't punched the Gauge button to bring up the timing advance display. I rarely look at it in flight, not really much to see. After I called up Gauge 1, I glimpsed a very brief flicker of the red FAULT LED. The engine never skipped a beat. That caught my attention, and I spent some time eyes-inside in cruise just looking at the SDS display to see if the FAULT light appeared again. Well, it did. Every 5-30 seconds randomly, it would flicker on for a brief flash, and I realized too that the SOURCE BATT red LED would illuminate for the same brief instant.

Since I wasn't sure if this was "normal" behavior that I had just never noted before (the SDS control panel is mounted very low in my panel and out of my scan), I set course for home and landed. I managed to get some cell phone video of the behavior. I noted it on the ground at idle just as in flight. The engine ran smoothly regardless. '

I checked the FAULT screen to see if it had logged anything, and it was null.

I wonder if this behavior has anything to do with the charging of the backup battery in flight. I have the latest software/firmware, as my system was factory-replaced a few months ago chasing an intermittent that ended up being a Hall sensor too far from the flywheel magnets. It is performing great, but this has spooked me just a little. Anyone else seeing a little pulsing of the FAULT LED on their CPi2?

What is this filter you speak of?

Their website is not the easiest to navigate - give me the skinny if you please.

No experience with the -2, but a buddy had an intermittent flickering fault light on one of his legacy CPI units and it turned out to be a faulty toggle switch... Nothing wrong with the ignition at all - just unreliable power delivery.

Not sure what your system architecture looks like, but maybe consider a temporary hard wire around any CB, fuse or switch to see if the problem goes away, and of course check all grounds.

One of my first thoughts as well. If this is a power interruption, it's so brief I doubt anything but a 'scope would register it. No way my DVM would react that fast. I suppose I can first see if the fault occurs/registers when there is no RPM. If so, pretty simple to turn it on and start wiggling connectors until the behavior is replicated. If the engine has to be running to observe the issue, then trouble shooting just got an order of magnitude more difficult.

Still interested in this filter... suggests an issue may exist independent of my wiring, which I honestly think was done to airworthy standards. (I understand that physics cares nothing for what I believe about my wiring skills versus what really is) :)

One of my first thoughts as well. If this is a power interruption, it's so brief I doubt anything but a 'scope would register it. No way my DVM would react that fast. I suppose I can first see if the fault occurs/registers when there is no RPM. If so, pretty simple to turn it on and start wiggling connectors until the behavior is replicated. If the engine has to be running to observe the issue, then trouble shooting just got an order of magnitude more difficult.

Still interested in this filter... suggests an issue may exist independent of my wiring, which I honestly think was done to airworthy standards. (I understand that physics cares nothing for what I believe about my wiring skills versus what really is) :)

Bill,

I bought one of the first CPI2. I think serial number 3. SDS supplied me with a small exterior filter circuit that connected four wires (two black, two red) using available pins in their connector. As I recall the filter circuit helps with noise generated by the aircrafts charging system. IIRC That noise can trigger the more sensitive older CPI2 to throw a fault or blinking LEDS if the noise is loud enough and consistent enough. I have a photograph of the filter in my phone. It is identified as, “1000UF/50V Filter”. The filter is a small black plastic box with four wires. If your interested in seeing it send me a pm with your email and I will forward it.

When speaking with Barry about this last year I think he indicated newer systems would have the filter build into the unit. Mine is outside and piggybacks on the CPI2. Works great.

Last edited:
get the filter

I had a similar issue with fault indications at random times. Barry sent me the filter and that took care of it.

Barry has gotten back to me and suggests troubleshooting the power system for an intermittent breaker (I used ATO fuses instead) and toggle switches. Intermittent could be anywhere. No mention or offer was made for any filters. I assume this is just a large-value electrolytic cap. I'd be concerned it might blow a fuse by sourcing a large brief cranking current backwards through the power feed system during engine start.

Barry has gotten back to me and suggests troubleshooting the power system for an intermittent breaker (I used ATO fuses instead) and toggle switches. Intermittent could be anywhere. No mention or offer was made for any filters. I assume this is just a large-value electrolytic cap. I'd be concerned it might blow a fuse by sourcing a large brief cranking current backwards through the power feed system during engine start.
Have you gotten any further troubleshooting your Source/Fault LED flicker?

Another happy CPI-2 Install, 50plus hours and counting.

Thanks Ross and Barry for a great product.

This install is in an upgraded RV-14A.
Original engine had a prop strike so the old mags were replaced with the CPI2.

Armor-plated Dual Hall Sensor install,
AM-JKLX8dcgnmi-cdSd81pM8WwoyEg5uBPoA6sZ7SDtvLuID8hg5RYT6rXhQOT82_uVEfd5Gf0kkJ7aDgpDx8WgBQkSVtsQZ0g5qOqDAkWTLM47hOczgC5JO_17uPuuF_VwMZEj_V3JTJbyCsTY0QyHb9tlE5g=w678-h903

Extra abrasion protection across the top of the engine for sensor wires and high quality MSD 8.5mm Ignition wires with stainless plug connections,

AM-JKLWvVTMIjov_aHfk8_L2WlEcO4btFJZ4F0AUK3hQd63ZArO26FgQWGMimT5207nIaeUdpcO-D7thYl0y61zo6NSkxK_MFpbpFvFPCwV-0Rzs-wIvc6aAGlK8JVd0_VaA1ci86ptwh8qjP2X9ig1dEnezcw=w1204-h903

New 5"oil cooler baffle and upgraded oil cooler to Airflow Systems 2006X,
AM-JKLWmB5XI-xBVxrzNP6a3o3MmlJo39Chw1glu6tg8ns8kYfzNu4257JXxce-MICCQ3JOEffTK67DBFLFbsAKyttZZjbQB-RZf-Vm1t98wrvOzX6OZTB_4haFV4_0GXw1pNxkBpdsA-Ar_-1K46EofFUZL8A=w1204-h903

CPI Dual ECU and back up battery easily mounts behind the R/H EFIS, battery is mounted on a cross support bracket.
( photo was taken before final wiring tidy up, ie the red power wires coming from the battery has since had the adel clamp turned around and other cable clamps, insulation fitted)

AM-JKLX-Ix2Rrc3n6AD_qPBoy4gW6AtKYW-nTg2iZPIQzNIt2PcmI0iS3tj9-Zmr6tX_dJGgGWxqzgeBmu8s65heA9z2IV-G1mk4x1E8d6P5C3PImty8fmBP1hJd8HZp4IqYXT2x3hqvM68wjO81TV_Uy5N1mg=w1204-h903

Controller was mounted in the main panel.

AM-JKLUilffPiXPybGDViaZzpyfGAGrJMYOI8ruYY6_ZQNtEHQ9BrEYe_5rsGhTkYir6vQsLfxnB0AgUwr6e3YWPjF4ovyn3m83Zqt_ugUfQvR1pv5-LGONu-w0c6jzidTURzBIiqNHDwsUHl4JlezFUfJ8CEQ=w1204-h903

New airframe upgrades,
AM-JKLVltQDIvnb3PCCNHsCdRCwvzrLIu1W9Nw4X9ZNSOnk3tt46jw-5AlPRWwkppqpbqkjatwnXhl5EUH84pm_0_GFkym0ruT7i9JNAQoEU2bDhWNWyzljTnQoA8kttJv8JTvkir4RL97yJ5ukJjfAq_-Z3yg=w1204-h903

After double checking all the install info from SDS, the engine started right up with the factory installed settings and timing maps.

This aircraft is a delight to fly,

Flat out ROP 186knts @ 8500ft 2650RPM 51LPH
Cruise LOP 170knts @ 8500ft 2350RPM 41LPH
Eco Cruise LOP 165knts @ 8500ft 2350rpm 35 LPH

Thanks to all the talented engineers for making an amazing Aircraft.

AM-JKLVpxhjoJdXi1ewnPwc6K4OnTGFChpKrkVyGAGvArjedDzdH4D-knvbIN6h-eTqLL1Fc52R9M-pTxqaxqSNrnDH4nJhdmWzJlYYC09Lbs2V_IxZV9npCvn-8s2wo7Lr1Wy7lcZe3dzyW8aNUSROM-oICTQ=w1204-h903

AM-JKLU4mN4jc5hCKPCvxdm9aybXx_BNkicSut-cJfVJWLVpRch05MGxZgJjFXgyMazMb06_ed5xaLPXaTP_MZXInrKJuuvS5mWyoHfITC_FlXhqDvczFvY3IJ2Aan4RFLdAQaPn7qrGyyz3gqm631t72kiyzQ=w1131-h696

Last edited:
Upgraded Intake and Fuel Control Unit

The new IO-390C upgrade also includes the FM200C and a new Snorkel intake.

AM-JKLW9qrbEsfVapfb4BqnRHfALxuzvFGwcME_C-sG36gcYrFWLmjo5Zp7t5j_n6q96Cy9bUnvyE1KB92mrGtdPEzhxSJSNJhcEw-wTI6rJwBaKiYMj_hI4IX5Y6jXjvMNbihCok_oHjr_hCBxVh6uyKqLd8g=w1204-h903

You can also see how the FM200C is clocked with a custom adapter plate so the exhaust will clear the Fuel Control unit.
AM-JKLVTG1_QDXjE546h0C59kX_XCOFEvTsgI-biMotF76q0tp_8hWlm-mtjphJQyMSxMgf1B9goqIDIE9Yhag6HqmuihRoerii4hmgXqo0tkVJZojW0qtim3sOb3Fi3VpBaNGXPivWC2m4ArTwJkkaN6swNFw=w678-h903

Drilling the flywheel for the timing magnets was a none event with the supplied drill and drill guide,
AM-JKLXNGroChIL6WdpnIvp5jwDcfvKliAg51terlLXX6E4OzYB2KfSehNcNnAQAG2zV82GbZEOuNu4JaJHkPIdGLaYpDEBsce5ohfJ0xlNCFG0nMqqx8_kVeopWS48dR4AeTg4QX1b8-lNTKzUu4gB6cqxmQQ=w678-h903

The SDS CPI2 was a clean install. Thanks Ross!

Thank you to the Van's Engineering Team for a well thought out engine upgrade for the RV-14.

200Hrs since CPI2 Install, Plug change

It is now 200hrs since the CPI2 Install on my RV-14A with the IO-390 EXP and time for a plug change. The aircraft has not missed a beat and the engine runs smooth and clean.

With the waste spark system it is normal to see different wear patterns on the electrodes based on the polarity. I'll upgrade my maintenance to change the polarity every 100hrs to get a more consistent erosion of the electrodes.

https://ngksparkplugs.com/en/resources/waste-spark-ignitions

AMWts8DrRAw7Mkr055BhkjyFO_24GF_cTIMoFq-vFso4rvtYXRYH3OUXQPSV81B_RE4qgtDkt-_LBMBfhMAGEOqeECXhrBdyd5ZcyRBDcpF3Fl1EUS6kpGR0kAiiUOniNbGfCTjGP_kwdu5lLDnUvjFpzdcURw=w1134-h638

AMWts8BGe9ii0wDJY-qKVIXCiviWA167C7_FQjIbx0JF5LaP_z4QQqD8s83qPsleZkvZMptylm9RkYoS4Lh_4FqHJK32Ttik2q0gV70VmlaT5vjNAZPSmknnVOwqeMfaA2vVrnIfsSu1ULG3J0lHSPXUgEEp1w=w1134-h638

AMWts8D52Lk6On_5CEsNoHAEp1eVFLmLuxei1fS_vYyVKVDLNEBUYPh9oluCjqhfKqzZBbMA_BkM4EZ9BucxrOImKZ_xLU0rIel-1aQGhLdWy8VdHWWidKOhW4DBvb0Ti7fgIHd4gPRnaGbPYkAwceJUxPNaTQ=w1134-h638

The aircraft has exceeded my goals and delights all that fly her.

Back