What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rotax care

hamblin10

Any pro or con to adding Rotax care on the engine order? Normally I shy away from extended coverage, but this is my first aircraft engine and was not sure if it was worth it. Thanks!

I ordered my powerplant about six months into the wait for my first kit, and decided to hedge the risk of having my engine sitting for a long time by upgrading to Rotax Care when they started offering it. I talked with owners of two ELSA and one flight-school SLSA -12iS's; they didn't have horror stories of problems that would've been covered, but since I knew I'd be buying a Bose headset, that offer (which still exists, according to flyrotax.com) made it $1000 cheaper, and I decided it was worth the peace of mind.

Sure enough, my powerplant kit arrived several months ago, and I won't be starting it for many months yet (I'm probably 10% done with the fuse kit now). So though I have no experience with warranty claims yet, I'm glad I got it.

I've never been one for extended warranties but did get it just for the peace of mind not worrying about it running out before 1st flight. I'm sure you know the warranty clock begins when the motor is delivered.
For me the "free" Bose headset was the deciding factor.

Bose

I have ordered my engine and extended warranty through Vans. When are you eligible to receive the Bose headset? How does all of this work?

My headset was inside the engine crate.

Mine too. Also, since I’d wondered before mine got here: it was an A20 with Bluetooth. It came in a Rotax-labeled box, so I’m guessing they got a bunch, and since flyrotax.com’s warranty page still says “A20,” you won’t be getting an A30 on this deal.

Back