What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dynon functionality question - bug or feature

Just starting my acceptance testing on the Dynon Skyview and noticed if it's been on for a little wile without the A+B lanes turned on, they won't turn on (lights come on, but no response from the engine - no gauges, warning lights, nothing...), fuel pumps also won't turn on. One incident I turned it all on at start and the engine connection just stopped - all gauges got red X's (like above) which had me a little concerned this wasn't a design feature of some sort. (never actually started the engine - just the power to it)

I do see the green lights in the fuse box on the other side of the firewall though - was thinking there was some timeout on the sky view if you don't turn on the engine after a certain amount of time it disables everything (?) Making sure I'm not at risk for random engine shut down...since the fuel pumps won't come on either when this is the case.

Anyone else notice this?

Thanks,
Scott

Dynon does not control the fuel pumps.
What is the system voltage when this happens?

Just tried it again….engine and fuel pumps just shut down about 30 seconds after powering everything up. 13.3 Volts showing on the efis. Now lane lights went out, shut lanes off and back on I get sim green lights and no engine life or fuel pumps still. Turned up my charger to supply mor power and now at 13.5 V…nothing.

What is the source of power to the main bus? Is there a battery connected? The post above mentions a charger but if there is no battery then better to use a dedicated charged up 12V battery or an external power supply that can output enough e.g. 10A. 13.3V should be adequate but possibly there is not enough amps in the supply.

Yes I've got the new HIC installed. Yes, battery installed and on the charger EarthX recommends (Optimate) - the one that you can supply more power for extended operations (8 or 9 amps).

I didn't have it set on high power when I was getting those outages so I'll try ensuring it's in the high power mode and see if that resolves the issue. Works great most the time...until it shuts off. Definitely some sort of power issue.

Any other thoughts/tests are appreciated...I'll continue messing around and see if this looks to solve the issue. Is weird that it shut down when the battery was showing 13.3 V - you'd think that would be enough.

Just noticed something else when I just tested again. Battery "full" according to the charger, EFIS reports 13.3 V and so does lane A and B. After about 30 seconds, both A and B voltage drops quickly to about 7 volts and powers off...battery still at 13.3. Turning on the EMS backup battery brings both lanes back up and online at 13.3, but won't stay on if I shut down the backup battery power...drops immediately and shuts down.

Gotta think I have some bad component in there since it runs fine for a while, then tanks...that doesn't sound like bad wiring.

Powering off/on the master makes it work again.

Last edited:
Just starting my acceptance testing on the Dynon Skyview and noticed if it's been on for a little wile without the A+B lanes turned on, they won't turn on (lights come on, but no response from the engine - no gauges, warning lights, nothing...), fuel pumps also won't turn on. One incident I turned it all on at start and the engine connection just stopped - all gauges got red X's (like above) which had me a little concerned this wasn't a design feature of some sort. (never actually started the engine - just the power to it)

I do see the green lights in the fuse box on the other side of the firewall though - was thinking there was some timeout on the sky view if you don't turn on the engine after a certain amount of time it disables everything (?) Making sure I'm not at risk for random engine shut down...since the fuel pumps won't come on either when this is the case.

Anyone else notice this?

Thanks,
Scott

This is a know issue that has appeared in about a dozen aircraft after the HIC module was replaced in SB-00058. There will be a Service Letter released in the near future addressing this issue.

The fix is to replace the "Start Computer" on the AV-60007 Ignition Module with a re-programmed Start Computer. Please contact Van's Tech Support to have a new Start Computer sent to you. Until the SL is released with a replacement Start Computer part number, do not call the order desk and ask for the updated Start Computer - they will not be able to help you.

Only those aircraft that see the ECU shut off about 1 minute after the Master Switch is turned on will need to replace the Start Computer.

In the interim, you can keep the ECU and fuel pumps powered on before engine start by activating the red EMS Backup Battery Switch (BBS) switch, next to the fuel pump switches, until the engine is running, at which time you must turn the BBS switch off. After engine start, the ECU is powered by the engine driven generator and should not be powered by the aircraft battery bus. Details about the BBS switch are in the FTS and the POH.

Back