What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Brantel RV-12IS Build Thread

Brantel

Well Known Member
Well....I went ahead and did a thing. :eek:

RV-12IS Emp/TailCone kit has been ordered!

Guess I need to clean out the garage!

In you neighborhood

Congratulations! I’m right up the road in Marshall, NC. We’re going to form our own local RV-12 flying club soon. There’s at least 5 nearby that I’m aware of. :)

Brian

Hi Brian - most fantastic!! That builder bug never really goes away!! My neighbor is also building a 12. You will be amazed at how easy and quick the build is. Enjoy!!

Congrats Brian,

Welcome to the -7, -10, -12 build club. Can't wait for the 6 seat RV-16!

Last edited:
So due to the lead times on kits, I just went ahead and ordered the wings and fuselage in addition to the tail cone/empennage.

Not like I will see them anytime soon but might as well get in line....

Got the email requesting final payment on my tailcone/emp kit. This was a surprise to me as I was not expecting that till sometime in April. Guess we will see if they beat the original guestimate.

First Kit Shipped!

Emp/Tailcone kit has shipped.

They beat the original estimate by a month. WOHOO!

My primer shipped yesterday as well so it should be here just at the right time.
Already got my tools that I did not have like a HF rivet puller and more 1/8" clecos.

Well….things must be improving at the factory because I have not even inventoried my emp kit yet and I just got a request today for final payment of my wing kit. I have got to get on the ball!!!

Hi Brian,
You will be pulling rivets very soon!!!
You mentioned you have your primer on order. Assuming this is for the inside; would you describe the process you are using and the brand names? The paint/protective coating industry has changed and I'm trying to get up to speed as to what is currently best practice.
Thanks!

Hi Brian,
You will be pulling rivets very soon!!!
You mentioned you have your primer on order. Assuming this is for the inside; would you describe the process you are using and the brand names? The paint/protective coating industry has changed and I'm trying to get up to speed as to what is currently best practice.
Thanks!

I went with Stewart Systems Waterborne EkoPoxy primer in zinc chromate green. On my last project I sold, I was using AKZO and always felt like this stuff was too dangerous for amateurs to be using without a full pressurized suit and a paint booth. The Ekopoxy is more or less non hazardous as long as you use basic protection. Water clean up is a plus! The package arrived last weekend.

My process will be to scrub the interior of the skins and inside parts with Stewart's EkoEtch and maroon Scotchbrite pads, rinse, dry and prime. No alodine step.

I will also be using rattle can self etching primer for random small parts in between spray gun priming sessions. The Dupli-Color variant of this stuff is my favorite and should match the EkoPoxy close enough. I usually batch up a bunch of parts so I can prime them all at once.

N number reserved!

Reserved my N number today. I went with N912BC and found it was available. All the other cool ideas I had were taken....:(

"912" is obvious a nod to the engine as well as the "12" and "BC" for Brian Chesteen.

It seems to flow off this hillbilly's tongue pretty good and sort of reminds me of 310 Pilot's tail number.

Last edited:
Question for the IS builders….. Is it possible to fit the cowl without the engine mounted? I would have assumed no till today when I saw a YT video where they did. Not sure how it turned out in the end.

Congratulations on getting your kits rolling in so quickly! I ordered my Emp, Fuse, Wing and Finish kits all at OSH 2021. Then a month later I ordered the Powerplant kit and the following month I ordered the Avionics kit. A year after ordering the kits at OSH the first kit to arrive showed up on my doorstep... the avionics kit! All in all my kits arrived in reverse order from normal with the emp being last! It took almost 15 months to get all of the kits and another couple months to get the backorders filled.

But, all is well, everything has arrived including all of the backordered items which were many and the airplane is nearing completion. I still have about half of the fiberglass work left, The prop and spinner still needs mounted and the brakes need to be juiced up. Oh I almost forgot the main gear needs to be shimmed to eliminate a slight toe out.

Looking forward to seeing your progress... Have fun!

I just noticed your last post.

Without the spinner rear bulkhead in place what would you fit the cowel to?

The original ULS plans (as I recall) had you cut the cowl to the scribe lines and fit it before the engine, but I don't think many did. I certainly didn't want to risk it and installed the engine before doing the cowls, and was glad I did.

For the 12iS, the cowling is installed in Section 37. On the first page of the section there’s a note that says “Complete this section after the engine is installed in Section 46."

Finished my Emp kit inventory this evening. Missing one rudder rib. Not bad I guess! :p

I have been lucky in the past as all prior kits were complete.

Now to get at it!

VS Rear Spar Prep

Started working on the VS rear spar prep. Gonna do all the work less rivets for the entire VS so I can prime everything in one go.

2.5 hours later and I have the rear spar all drilled and ready to deburr as well as the hinge assemblies ready to prime. Felt weird getting back in the rhythm but once I did, I made some good progress!

All the deets are in my blog.

Started working on the VS rear spar prep. Gonna do all the work less rivets for the entire VS so I can prime everything in one go.

2.5 hours later and I have the rear spar all drilled and ready to deburr as well as the hinge assemblies ready to prime. Felt weird getting back in the rhythm but once I did, I made some good progress!

All the deets are in my blog.

Thanks for the detailed blog Brian! I'm a first time builder and had to shelve the project last fall to remodel my shop. Just dug it back out yesterday and am working on the VS spar as well. I appreciate the detailed photos!
Jeff

Just an FYI, be careful ordering multiple kits based on the near past lead times and the estimated packing dates listed on Van’s website. I ordered emp, wings and fuse based on this thinking it was gonna be accurate or worse. The reality is the factory is doing much better than they were and you may be caught needing funds earlier than you had planned. Lucky for me, I have it covered but it was not how I had it planned.

Week off for a mini vacation

Took last week off as the family went on a "local" camping trip in the 5th wheel. They got to enjoy the campground all week while I traveled to work each day and returned in the evenings. :eek:

Back to work yesterday on the VS prep for priming. Almost ready to start scuffing/etching parts and mixing up some primer! Will be fun to rivet this puppy together!

Details here!

Thanks for the detailed blog Brian! I'm a first time builder and had to shelve the project last fall to remodel my shop. Just dug it back out yesterday and am working on the VS spar as well. I appreciate the detailed photos!
Jeff

Your welcome Jeff. Glad to know someone is looking!

Marking a weird amount of material to remove from the top end of the bottom spar cap strips. Have no idea why they leave this to the builder.

This material is left because the press brake couldn't form the last bit of the spar otherwise.

A better question is "why remove it in the first place?"

I figure this is maybe 2 grams per side.

This material is left because the press brake couldn't form the last bit of the spar otherwise.

A better question is "why remove it in the first place?"

I figure this is maybe 2 grams per side.

Yeah, makes sense on the brake. The tooling needs something to work against.

They could go ahead and shear it off for us spoiled builders after they form it. :p

Just kidding….:D

VS complete

I now have an assembly that looks like it belongs on an airplane!
Rudder will hopefully be completed tomorrow!

Attachments

• 6DB3240B-96F4-44AE-BAE6-980A5579192E.jpg
    6DB3240B-96F4-44AE-BAE6-980A5579192E.jpg
    359.4 KB · Views: 209
  • 4B762F09-D530-42B3-BB04-C6B6DAC37C02.jpg
    4B762F09-D530-42B3-BB04-C6B6DAC37C02.jpg
    415.5 KB · Views: 184
Like eating an Elephant

One bite at a time.
Persistence to do something every day is what got Miss Sandy built.
Keep at it Brian as I know this isn't your first rodeo.

Rudder complete

And just like that I have a rudder. 6.8 man hours and that includes etching and priming.

The fit of these parts is nothing short of amazing!

Attachments

• 55B9D19C-FFD8-4065-B45A-B73982C909C0.jpg
    55B9D19C-FFD8-4065-B45A-B73982C909C0.jpg
    455.4 KB · Views: 159
Anti-Servo tabs

Finished up the anti-servo tabs last evening.

On to the stabilator!

Attachments

• IMG_3629.jpg
    IMG_3629.jpg
    338.2 KB · Views: 119
Built this creature this weekend….

Definitely the most complicated assembly yet for the build.

I should have a finished stabilator sometime this week.

Attachments

• IMG_3744.jpg
    IMG_3744.jpg
    595.8 KB · Views: 207
Back