What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Winterize RV-12

RV12Pilot

I’m a new owner of RV-12. What do y’all do during the winter months for/to your -12. Mine is in a hangar. TIA

Winter Ops

I just fly mine 😁. You should have some type of antifreeze/ coolant in the radiator. The sport plus oil is good to a low temperature range that rarely occurs in our part of the world. Drain the gas out, if you use mogas, if it gets over a month old. With some blockoffs on the oil cooler and radiator you can keep some cockpit heat going and oil temp up during the colder flights.

Blocking off the oil cooler and radiator doesn't have to be elaborate.
Just put some heat tape on there and adjust the amount to get the temperatures that you want.

One option is to reference Notification 17-03-01 on our web site. It describes using the Winterization Kit that is available from us (details below) which allow for quick (ground) adjustment which is helpful in changing conditions (very common from one day to the next in our part of the world)

COLD TEMP BAFFLES, N 17-03-01
12 WINTERIZATION KIT ULS
$33.00

Antifreeze Type

My coolabt level seems quite low below the band on my 2020 RV-12 iS . I have some Napa Orange Prediluted antifreeze says it meets ASTM D3306 and ASTM D4985... Is this OK for the Rotax 912 iS?

My coolabt level seems quite low below the band on my 2020 RV-12 iS . I have some Napa Orange Prediluted antifreeze says it meets ASTM D3306 and ASTM D4985... Is this OK for the Rotax 912 iS?

I believe it is fine. I think I found what you have on the NAPA website. It is "dexcool compatible".. Rotax recommends "Coolant should be a low silicate and nitrite free formula" -- that may be hard to determine based on published information from the various manufacturers. However, in their latest Service Instruction (SI-912i-001-R8), they recommend:

1. BASF® Glysantin Protect Plus/G48
  2. OMV® OMV Coolant Plus
  3. PETROL® Antifreeze Concentrate / Antifreeze G 11
  4. PRESTONE® DEX-COOL extended life
  5. PRESTONE® 50/50 pre-diluted DEX-COOL extended life
  6. SHELL® ShellZone DEX-COOL Extended life
  7. SHELL® Antifreeze Concentrate
  8. TEXACO® Havoline Extended Life Antifreeze
  9. VELVANA® FRIDEX G49
  10. YACCO® LR-35

Back