What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV12 ULS SLSA for flying club

Kmdpilot

Hi all, first off, thanks for all the great feedback and info on this forum.
The question I have now is about the RV12 used in a flying club. I know the SLSA is possible and I read an article from AOPA that the SLSA and E/AB can be leased by a flying club but weirdly the ELSA cannot. I guess the club can buy the plane itself and use it in the club since they are not renting or hiring out the plane and the members of the non profit are considered "owners" as club members. But I guess if I bought a plane, I could only lease it to the club if it is SLSA or E/AB?
But that aside, my question is about the fuel. Sure, we can us 100LL which is available at the airport. It sounds like the easiest option. The airport does not carry mogas. Plus reading here, it sounds like this time of year can be hit or miss regarding winter blend fuels vs summer blends. Right now, we can have 30 degree nights and upper 80 degree days with a DA of 6000 ft. Can imagine a winter blend might run into some vapor lock issues later in peak of the day?
That said, what are some of your thoughts on this? Stick with 100LL, find a way to get mogas? I guess the club members could just have cans they fill up and bring to the airport when they want to fly. I am pretty sure the airport would not want us storing fuel cans in the hangar.
Lets here your thoughts.
Thanks in advance.

I’ll chime in here…. I think the biggest thing with regard to multiple pilots flying an airplane is to ensure that everyone has a complete understanding, not only of the POH, but specifically the operating limitations for the RV-12 equiped with Rotax 912 engine. Everyone needs to have a complete and thorough understanding that the tightly-cowled engine is prone to Vapor Lock. I know of what I speak. Two years ago, I had Vapor Lock on climb-out. I’m lucky to be here to tell the story. See… https://vansairforce.net/community/s...ght=vapor+lock

I’m not a lawyer, but I think you misunderstand something. The owner of an EAB absolutely cannot lease it to others. (No use for compensation or hire). If the club itself owns it, and has an arrangement to make it available to its members (but not ‘held out’ to the general public), I think that’s okay. But no way you can own it and lease it out to someone else.

I’m not a lawyer, but I think you misunderstand something. The owner of an EAB absolutely cannot lease it to others. (No use for compensation or hire). If the club itself owns it, and has an arrangement to make it available to its members (but not ‘held out’ to the general public), I think that’s okay. But no way you can own it and lease it out to someone else.

https://www.aopa.org/~/media/Files/...ntal and Light Sport Aircraft in Flying Clubs

I see where my mistake was. I thought it was weird, but the club itself I guess can lease it to the members of the club? At least according to AOPA. Personally leasing a plane experimental or not to a club just seems fraught with liability.

Last edited:
https://www.aopa.org/~/media/Files/...ntal and Light Sport Aircraft in Flying Clubs

I see where my mistake was. I thought it was weird, but the club itself I guess can lease it to the members of the club? At least according to AOPA. Personally leasing a plane experimental or not to a club just seems fraught with liability.

This is another example of why I quit sending aopa money years ago. This article is simply wrong. If you are the owner of an EAB you may not use it for compensation or hire, with only one very limited exception that I know of. The owner may not lease it to a flying club (unless, of course, there is zero compensation involved!), or anyone. Now, if the club is the owner, it may have a cost sharing arrangement with its members. Don’t say ‘lease’. It may not hold itself out to the public.

Before you go too far, see if anyone will insure such an operation at an acceptable cost.

This is another example of why I quit sending aopa money years ago. This article is simply wrong. If you are the owner of an EAB you may not use it for compensation or hire, with only one very limited exception that I know of. The owner may not lease it to a flying club (unless, of course, there is zero compensation involved!), or anyone. Now, if the club is the owner, it may have a cost sharing arrangement with its members. Don’t say ‘lease’. It may not hold itself out to the public.

Yeah, I dropped AOPA after over 50 years of membership because of miss-leading information like this and doubling their dues.

Back