Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > RV Firewall Forward Section > Propellers
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-02-2021, 06:11 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong.

The 2 blade up sticks out from the spinner, and the 3 blade hubs stay inside.....
Old 03-03-2021, 07:04 AM

@Whirlwind Propellers. Help us out here. My build and others will probably fall into a product black hole. The new 300 series stated performance looks great. It will probably be too lightweight for many four cylinder tandem seat aircraft even after moving as much other equipment forward as possible. For the four cylinder HC and/or stroker crowd in the 210 HP range, there appears to be a product hole between 300 series and HRTs. If you can share any insight here, it would be appreciated by many. Thanks.
Old 03-03-2021, 07:07 AM
VAF Moderator / Line Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freemasm View Post
@Whirlwind Propellers. Help us out here. My build and others will probably fall into a product black hole. The new 300 series stated performance looks great. It will probably be too lightweight for many four cylinder tandem seat aircraft even after moving as much other equipment forward as possible. For the four cylinder HC and/or stroker crowd in the 210 HP range, there appears to be a product hole between 300 series and HRTs. If you can share any insight here, it would be appreciated by many. Thanks.
Just FYI - the -300 WW I have on my RV-8 right now (O-360-A1A) with aft-mounted battery) is a perfect combination - rememebr that the original design engine for the RV-8 was the O-320, so everything has moved in the direction of nose-heaviness since then. A lighter prop really makes things feel better!
RV-6 (By Marriage) - N164MS - "Mikey"
RV-3B - N13PL - "Tsamsiyu"
A&P, EAA Tech Counselor/Flight Advisor
Dayton Valley Airpark (A34)
http://Ironflight.com
Old 03-03-2021, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emsvitil View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong.

The 2 blade up sticks out from the spinner, and the 3 blade hubs stay inside.....
No, sorry, the photos attached were from the old style spinners. The new spinners come in a 13" or 14" diameter. Both sizes will completely enclose the ferrule of the 330-2B.
The 330-3B will slightly show the ferrules with a 13" spinner, but the 14" will enclose the ferrules for the 3-blade.

edit: replaced the picture in the other post and added spinner pic here

Last edited by Whirl Wind Propellers : 03-03-2021 at 01:25 PM. Reason: spinner pic
Old 03-03-2021, 11:04 AM

Quote:
The 330-3B 73" propeller is well suited for that application on engines with or without counterweighted crankshafts. The 330-2B 72" propeller is also a good option offering slightly faster top speed and slightly lower takeoff/climb performance (2-blade limited to engines with counterweighted crankshafts).

**Edit: this was in response to Freemasm asking about the aggressive engines in range of 210hp (angle valve -360's and IO-370/375's). If you have a parallel valve IO-360 with stock compression for example you do not need a counterweighted crankshaft to run our 2-blade propeller. Updates are still being made, but all the recommended engine combinations will be listed for each propeller on the website: whirlwindaviation.com

Last edited by Whirl Wind Propellers : 03-04-2021 at 10:51 AM. Reason: clarify engines
Old 03-03-2021, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whirl Wind Propellers View Post
The 330-3B 73" propeller is well suited for that application on engines with or without counterweighted crankshafts. The 330-2B 72" propeller is also a good option offering slightly faster top speed and slightly lower takeoff/climb performance (2-blade limited to engines with counterweighted crankshafts).
Still probably won't work from a W&B standpoint for Rocket Lites (four banger Rockets). Hopefully I'll be surprised.
Old 03-03-2021, 11:50 AM

Freemasm,

Are you looking for more weight up front or less? My 330-3B 73" weighted in at 52lbs with spinner. Based on what I read, your needing more weight up front not less but I could be getting that backwards. I'm pretty sure the 330-2B weights less just based on number of blades. Not sure I helped you or just confused you more but I knew the 330 @52lbs would work for my W/B since I began with a 56lb Hartzell.
Flying RV-7/N74RV
Flying Cessna 140
Dues Paid
Old 03-03-2021, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogman208 View Post
Freemasm,

Are you looking for more weight up front or less? My 330-3B 73" weighted in at 52lbs with spinner. Based on what I read, your needing more weight up front not less but I could be getting that backwards. I'm pretty sure the 330-2B weights less just based on number of blades. Not sure I helped you or just confused you more but I knew the 330 @52lbs would work for my W/B since I began with a 56lb Hartzell.
More but of course won't know until it's almost completely done. Published weight for a 300-3B/A-72 is 36#s. That's a big delta at that station. There is no 330xxx on the WW website. This may be teh root of any confusion.

I like the performance #s quoted and like it when new(er) players can impact a market. Obviously I want the best application possible.

(A different) Scott

Last edited by Freemasm : 03-03-2021 at 12:17 PM.
Old 03-03-2021, 12:57 PM

Quote:
More but of course won't know until it's almost completely done. Published weight for a 300-3B/A-72 is 36#s. That's a big delta at that station. There is no 330xxx on the WW website. This may be teh root of any confusion.

I like the performance #s quoted and like it when new(er) players can impact a market. Obviously I want the best application possible.

(A different) Scott
Yep you are right, the 300 series weights 36Lbs but I can confirm the 330 series both 2 and 3 blades weigh in around 46-52Lbs due to hub design and thicker blades (I dont know the weight of the 2 blade but its around the 46's lb range). I know Whirlwind is working on the website so hopefully when that is up it will help answer your questions. I know the 330 series was purposely developed for your power range. I absolutely love the 330 series and keep pushing the envelope more and more but still within Lycoming recommended power settings.
Flying RV-7/N74RV
Flying Cessna 140
Dues Paid
Old 03-03-2021, 01:41 PM

330-2B 72H-72" weighs 40 lb standard ($12,400) and 44 lb counterweighted ($13,000)
330-3B 72H-73" weighs 53 lb standard ($14,355) and 60 lb counterweighted ($15,255)

website updates in progress. Prices subject to change.