- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 08-04-2017, 03:08 PM

Default Anybody playing with a DIY HUD?

With cheap "HUDs" available for cars these days, has anyone attempted to adapt one for use in their RV? Some are as cheap as $15 that has your smart phone laying on glareshield, some around $50 that take a data feed from your cars OBD2 port with pretty canned automotive displays, and some up around $2-300 that connect up using a wifi link (like the Hudly being used by GRT shown at OSH last week).

With all the tinker-ers, diy-ers, and gadget people in the RV community, I got to think someone has been playing around. I have a couple selected on Amazon I want to get to play with but thought maybe a quick post here may net me a few ideas.
Paid dues yearly since 2007
Old 08-05-2017, 06:32 AM

Sort of. I have an iOS augmented reality app that simulates a K-14 gyroscopic gunsight. It's kind of cool, but really needs some optics to allow your eyes to focus at infinity. Havent found much that either has an sdk or would be reasonably hackable as yet.
Old 08-05-2017, 08:48 AM

Having seen the HUD that Greg at GRT is working on, I'm going to let him do the tinkering and fine tune it. Really awesome. I'm upgrading the panel in my 6A with GRT and that little puppy is definitely going to be a part of it.
Old 08-05-2017, 10:13 AM

Default HUD

A buddy sent me the following info. Evidently the developer has an RV-6 he's planning on putting it into:

https://gethudly.com
"Sure is nice to have smart friends"
2018 dues paid

Last edited by olyolson : 08-05-2017 at 10:20 AM.
Old 08-09-2017, 08:08 AM

Default Auto Huds

I've looked at them, but they are so specific to cars, they are pretty useless, and the sunlight is far harsher in an aircraft. It's a good idea and if anyone has any ideas, I hope they add them here.

It would be interesting to see if you can use a portable projector for lumens. I'm watching this thread. My next project is a good candidate.

RV-3 kit, but spar forward is totally custom/not Vans. Corvair power with a turbo-electric-hybrid-boost; I'm looking for 140hp up to 15,000'. I will completely redesign the cockpit like a glider. Highly reclined, center console, no panel. HUD would work very nicely leaving the center console just for switches.

-Bruce

Building RV-4A 18ZM
Built/Own RV-4 254MM
First RV RV-3 3456B

VAF annual donation on autopay
Old 08-09-2017, 09:31 AM

Default Projectors...

Google 12v projectors... they're cheap and would totally work. Maybe use a teensy 3, raspberypi or a chromebit. If you run the chrome OS you could project Avare (https://apps4av.com/avare-overview). You need some kind of pointer device for that as it's obviously not touchscreen. It's open source, so you could build hotkeys on the dash too.

For the air/engine data, I made a dac board that uses an off the shelf arduino Pro Mini via USB. https://sportvfr.blogspot.com/

I still need to test it, but it's just assembling off the shelf, it will need some futzing, but there's no black magic.

Building RV-4A 18ZM
Built/Own RV-4 254MM
First RV RV-3 3456B

Old 08-09-2017, 09:39 PM

Hi Bruce,

Not to hijack this thread, but I'm apparently late to your sportvfr party. I read through the blogspot posts, & I'm wondering if there has been more development since the last post in 2016. I can build just about any electronics related hardware, but I'm dead in the water with software/firmware. Do you have something closer to a 'cookbook' that shows how to get at least the engine monitor up and running? Ideally, I'd like to see something that will work with an android phone or tablet, to avoid mounting a CarPC in my RV-4's non-existent panel space.

Feel free to refer me to another thread, or PM me, to keep from diverting this one.

Thanks,

Charlie
Old 08-09-2017, 10:49 PM

Default HUD Controllers

This is my old thread on it, I'll respond there and let this one stay about HUD.

http://www.vansairforce.com/communit...uad+controller

Building RV-4A 18ZM
Built/Own RV-4 254MM
First RV RV-3 3456B

Old 11-05-2017, 07:58 AM

Default What is this?

I want to get this thread back on track... I found this picture on google image search, but I couldn't get access to the site. Anyone know what it is?

Ok... so let's say we can make a semi-transparent display that shows nicely at night and daylight. What should really be on it?

Before I get started, I have dual G3X in my RV-4 now, it is very effective at displaying all information. So I may take a minimal approach to the HUD becauese I have a robust heads-down alternative.

That said; I don't want to waste this very important "eyes outside" space on things that don't matter. So it should be only what I want to see outside.

The most critical basics: (I'd want this in "simple mode")

- A positive horizon line for orientation whilst through obscured horizon
- AoA (when bellow 2x stall)
- "All Green" - No Master warning from ECAM

Less important (Other "stuff" which I'd like to play with to see if it adds value or just clutters)

- CDI
- COM Freq and Station
- TX signal
- Altitude
- Airspeed
- Heading

Building RV-4A 18ZM
Built/Own RV-4 254MM
First RV RV-3 3456B

Last edited by BruceMe : 11-05-2017 at 08:01 AM.
Old 11-05-2017, 08:11 AM

Thread drift... I want to know more about that throttle handle...