-Advertise in here!
- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 03-03-2021, 06:34 AM

Struggling with the engine or avionics first question now. My thought is that the avionics would be much easier to install without the plane on the gear (taildragger).

Thoughts?
Wings complete (including fiberglass)
Fuse Complete
Working on Finishing Kit
Old 03-03-2021, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsm8 View Post
I had a very similar question with respect to installing the cowl prior to hanging the engine. I agree with all the advice given, delay the purchase of the avionics and complete the engine installation unless you can complete the project over the next couple of months.

If financing is an issue talk to your bank about the timing of the purchase and the issues. I have found that institutions such as Pilot Bank will work with the builder and the kit company to make things work out.
Donnie - I had send you a DM and an email about this. I was curious about your contact at Pilot Bank that was helpful. I ran into a brick wall there right from the start and would appreciate any info you might offer.
Old 03-03-2021, 03:37 PM

This thread seems to be attracting a lot of replies from people who aren't familiar with the RV-12is and kit packaging per E-LSA.

What I have heard from most people who have built a -12is is that the avionics first works best. You don't have the guess work on routing things because it's documented, you don't have wiggle room on avionics choices and chasing the hot new thing because it's bundled and documented as well. I suppose there is always an argument for the possibility of updates, but again as I understand things both FF and avionics kits go pretty fast on a 12is. I guess you could assume avionics will update and engine won't and roll the dice on deciding your order is better than what Van's suggests because something might change.

I don't know any of this from my own experience, I'm waiting on my finishing kit and have yet to order either one. I intend to order both at the same time if not within a few months of each other.
Old 03-03-2021, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N8DAV8R View Post
This thread seems to be attracting a lot of replies from people who aren't familiar with the RV-12is and kit packaging per E-LSA.

What I have heard from most people who have built a -12is is that the avionics first works best. You don't have the guess work on routing things because it's documented, you don't have wiggle room on avionics choices and chasing the hot new thing because it's bundled and documented as well. I suppose there is always an argument for the possibility of updates, but again as I understand things both FF and avionics kits go pretty fast on a 12is. I guess you could assume avionics will update and engine won't and roll the dice on deciding your order is better than what Van's suggests because something might change.

I don't know any of this from my own experience, I'm waiting on my finishing kit and have yet to order either one. I intend to order both at the same time if not within a few months of each other.
I ordered both at the same time and worked on what came first. Which was the avionics package. No issue at all doing that first
Tail 99% done
Wings 99% done
12IS fuse kit 99% done
Finish kit 95% done
Avionics kit 1% done
Dues paid 2020
Old 03-06-2021, 03:54 AM

I put in MGL (Experimental) screens and radio's and stuff.
Therefore I had to wire myself. For that reason I put in the avionics first, needing the space in front of the avionics bay to walk and work.
Never considered wanting to have the latest version though: it's just like homecomputers, once you buy 'm there outdated -but hey, do they do what they're bought for? I hope my plane will last some years, and for sure the avionics WILL be outdated. No problem for me. Yet.
Project bought & flying RV12 #120742
Donation 2021 paid