Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > Reviews
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-06-2021, 12:10 PM

I have the Combo Leading edge landing/taxi light and I have had tower comment on how bright my airplane is from 10 miles away, same day another RV asked about them. They really are amazing, makes me feel much more comfortable flying at night being able to see so much further.
Old 03-01-2021, 07:48 AM

Default Choice of wire and connectors?

Successful test of the position lights and strobes so far. Next step is to buy and install wire. As long as I use the correct wire gauge, and shielded cable when required, can any highly-rated Amazon product be used? Solid wire vs. stranded? Pure copper vs. copper-clad aluminum, etc.? What’s best? And any advice on using connectors?
Old 03-01-2021, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross7A-builder View Post
Successful test of the position lights and strobes so far. Next step is to buy and install wire. As long as I use the correct wire gauge, and shielded cable when required, can any highly-rated Amazon product be used? Solid wire vs. stranded? Pure copper vs. copper-clad aluminum, etc.? What’s best? And any advice on using connectors?
My advice - buy your stuff from this site and you can be sure it will be good, and is appropriate for aviation use.

https://www.steinair.com/

Amazon stuff might be excellent, or it might be garbage - really hard to know unless you do your homework. Buying from Steinair removes the hassle of validating the components. You still have to buy the right ones, sizes, etc.
Old 03-01-2021, 08:25 AM

Default A/C Wiring

Ross, Read through some of the electrical wiring info in the AC 43.13.

Aircraft wiring is different than other because it needs to withstand vibration, temperature, fire resistance, etc. Multi-stranded tefzel wire is what you want. Use aircraft grade wiring. It's not that much more expensive (few cents/bucks), but the peace of mind is hard to value.

As for FlyLED's, I can't recommend them enough! Excellent! I've them mine in my -7 for about a year now and couldn't be happier. They represent everything that's awesome about EAA. It's a far superior product to the certified stuff at a much better price. Paul's support and communication are excellent. No affiliation, just a very happy customer.

Last edited by Chattin35 : 03-01-2021 at 08:31 AM.
Old 03-01-2021, 09:11 AM

Default FlyLed are a great product

I did have some trouble in putting mine together and Paul was outstanding in his service to help.

I have installed only one spot in each wingtip too provide taxi lights and next to one I have the Prometheus leading edge landing light. When i turn both on from about 35 feet from the hangar door the taxi ( flyled spot) is as bright or possibly even brighter than the Prometheus. I paid 400 Cdn for the Prometheus and 50 USD for the Flyled spot. You cant use the single spot for landing light I dont think but they are close in brightness that far away.

Be very vigilante while building and I am sure you will love them.

Dave
Wings complete

Dynon installed and running
Fuse closer to completion, Canopy complete
AME reviewed and repaired O-320-Lyc installed
Old 03-01-2021, 01:12 PM

I had the 2 leading edge , " Duck Works" mounted landing lights with the one 50 watt halogen bulb. They were nearly worthless. I swear, I could not tell if the landing lights were off or on until I got to my hangar and could see they were shining on the hangar across from mine. (PS I checked the aiming and it was correct!)

I bought the Fly LEDs system for 2 bulbs in each wing. I can see the numbers on the end of the runway at least a half mile out!

I have friends who have 3 or 4 in each wing; that must light up the whole airport!

I was impressed enough with getting 4 times the light for 1/3rd for the load that I replaced all of the lights: position, and strobes with Fly LEDs.

Vince sells them for the same prices as ordering them from down under!
Old 03-01-2021, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoydBirchler View Post
I had the 2 leading edge , " Duck Works" mounted landing lights with the one 50 watt halogen bulb. They were nearly worthless. I swear, I could not tell if the landing lights were off or on until I got to my hangar and could see they were shining on the hangar across from mine. (PS I checked the aiming and it was correct!)

I bought the Fly LEDs system for 2 bulbs in each wing. I can see the numbers on the end of the runway at least a half mile out!

I have friends who have 3 or 4 in each wing; that must light up the whole airport!

I was impressed enough with getting 4 times the light for 1/3rd for the load that I replaced all of the lights: position, and strobes with Fly LEDs.

I did the same thing recently and it looked a lot like this. https://www.rushesroost.com/post/rv-8-and-the-flyleds
RV-8 (Bought Flying)
Glasair Sportsman (Sold)
RV-8 Tail, QB Fuselage (Sold)
RV-4 (Bought Flying) (Sold)
RV-9 Tail
RV-12 120018 Flying (Sold)
RV-7 Tail, Wings, Started Fuse (Sold)
Old 03-01-2021, 03:38 PM

Simple two step process.

I tested the first Works kit on the RV10...........watch the video. It is all answered there. (1)

Then order them. (2)

David Brown

DYNON Authorised Dealer and Installer

The two best investments you can make, by any financial test, an EMS and APS!
Old 03-02-2021, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoydBirchler View Post

Actually, it's Blake, my son, at www.flyboyaccessories.com that sells them.

Blake is FlyLED's/Paul McVitty's U.S. rep. You can meet Paul and Blake at our Oshkosh display in the North homebuilt display area this Summer.... Covid permitting, of course.
1-888-F1AIRCRAFT (1-888-312-4727)
www.flyboyaccessories.com
RV and Rocket Accessories, Tailwheels, Tools, & More
1-888-8FLYBOY (1-888-835-9269)

F4 Raider - under construction
F1-H Rocket "Crazy Horse" - sold
RV-4 "Chief Pontiac" - sold in 1994, purchased in 2018
Old 03-02-2021, 11:08 AM

Good input, thx to all!