Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-9/9A
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-01-2021, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Install the rudder stops then adjust then adjust the rod ends.
Guys the rudder stops are fitted and the issue is just that on full deflection the front top of the rudder just rubs on the trailing edge skin of the vertical stabiliser. Itís very slight and I was initially thing that I could simply tweak the VS skin trailing edge fractionally to stop it rubbing but apparently not though I donít fully understand why. Looking like a file is needed. Unless anyone knows a better way. Adjusting the eyes out didnít work.
Old 03-01-2021, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillL View Post
File - or just get new skins.
If his skins are too long, and they are touching the rudder at full deflection, getting new skins and reskinning the VS is NOT going to change a thing, heíll end up with the same interference.

Wings Started.. 11-2020
Old 03-01-2021, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportquattro View Post
Guys the rudder stops are fitted and the issue is just that on full deflection the front top of the rudder just rubs on the trailing edge skin of the vertical stabiliser. Itís very slight and I was initially thing that I could simply tweak the VS skin trailing edge fractionally to stop it rubbing but apparently not though I donít fully understand why. Looking like a file is needed. Unless anyone knows a better way. Adjusting the eyes out didnít work.
If you bend the skins out, you will have an aerodynamic ďstepĒ like a speedbrake on the VS thatís always extended. Just trim it if you canít adjust the bearings..

Wings Started.. 11-2020
Old 03-01-2021, 11:10 AM

If the rudder skins forward edges aren't rolled to a round enough shape, this can can cause the interference described.
Old 03-01-2021, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltruda View Post
If you bend the skins out, you will have an aerodynamic ďstepĒ like a speedbrake on the VS thatís always extended. Just trim it if you canít adjust the bearings..
Thatís interesting I wouldnít have imagined bending the skins out a fraction (circa 1/32Ē Iíd estimate maximum needed ) would have has a measurable effect.
Old 03-01-2021, 11:46 AM

I believe you should take a good look at the measurements for all three bearing bolts, See note one, R2 on DWG 7, Rudder, RV-7-9. If any of them are off it could cause the problem you are having.
Old 03-01-2021, 03:41 PM

Default Use Vixen File

After assuring yourself you have correct adjustment on bearings, just trim the ends of the vertical stabilizer skin with a Vixen file. Nice long strokes. If it only touches at full deflection you shouldn't need much off.
Wendell VAF#1832
RV-6A 3/4 done...N48JE Reserved
Build site: www.mykitlog.com/weneng
Donated to VAF in 2021