What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Belly skin hole

thompsonbr87

Well Known Member
I recently replaced my fuel pump which has left me with probably a 10mm hole in the belly skin where the old Weldon pump had an overboard drain. I planned on figuring out what to do about it later, but after a couple of short test flights, I noticed I was getting a slight headache. Well, duh, it's directly aft of the exhaust! I didn't actually have any specific indications of dangerous CO levels (yes, I'll admit to still using the CO cards, but I do at least change them as recommended), but that was one of my first thoughts after connecting the two.

Anyways, I want to be sure this is sealed well and then never think about it again. What's the best way to go about this? Dollop of RTV? Plug? Skin patch?

Rubber plug from the local auto store, quick and easy
Skin patch with proseal to stop any leaks would be the preferred permanent fix and is probably the best way to go

Cheers

Screw and nut appropriate size for the hole diameter with a very light coating of sealant to prevent oil on the belly from seeping in.

Hole

He said it was about 10mm,
That would be to big for a
Pilot relief hole. At least in
My experience.

Metal hole plug

Metal hole plugs with the little tabs push right in and can be installed with proseal or RTV . They come in lots of sizes at the big box home stores. I use them all the time..clean,simple and cheap.

Back