What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Quick Build or Standard Build Kit??

GeneralT001

Very much interested in getting the RV 14A and having it shipped to Nanaimo BC, Canada - where I live.

Was wondering if it makes more sense to have the quick build done or the standard kit and do most of the work myself? This is the first plane I would be attempting to build.

Thoughts from those that know better :)

Whether you go quickbuild or standard, you’ll have to build the “slow-build” empennage kit. Order it first, and if you enjoy the experience and want to save some money, go with the standard kit. If you don’t enjoy building the empennage and have some extra cash, order the quickbuild kit.

One thing I found is that the skills I learned on my 9A empennage made the standard 9A wing and fuselage kits much more enjoyable to work on. But building the wings, fuselage and finish kit are big tasks! If you’re in a hurry to finish your project, you’ll save hundreds of hours going with a quickbuild kit.

I decided to go with the QB mostly because most of the rest of the build can be done solo. I found that there are very few areas that 2 people are required with the QB.
There is a little bit of riveting that requires 2 people in the empennage, joining the empennage to the forward fuselage, and the bottom wing skin with the QB.

Very much interested in getting the RV 14A and having it shipped to Nanaimo BC, Canada - where I live.

Was wondering if it makes more sense to have the quick build done or the standard kit and do most of the work myself? This is the first plane I would be attempting to build.

Thoughts from those that know better :)

Go with the QB, you won't regret it. The additional cost for the QB will increase the value of the aircraft when you sell it and you will still learn all of the required skills to build your second (or third) airplane. Also, the fewer shipments you need to cross the border, the more money you will save.

V

Last edited:
I have done both and in some areas, I think I have done a better job with the standard then my QB. But as others have said, there are more needs of helper for riveting with the standard build and with the current lead time, I am not sure if it will be faster for the QB.

If still in doubt, you might want to have the wings as QB to avoid the tank portion.

Save time

Save time and get the QB kits. There is a lot of work building a QB Kit
It comes to you half done.

Thanks all.

Sounds like the best route to follow is do the empennage as a standard build and QB the rest.

Thats what I will plan.

Thanks Again.

I'm doing SB but I have tons of free time and I want to drive every rivet myself. I really haven't found anything difficult... yet. Although when I pull out my empennage parts and look at them I kind of want to do them over again because my riveting skills are so much better now.

Back