What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

18 to 14mm adapter service

Cth6

Well Known Member
Should you routinely remove the plug adapter each time you replace your 14mm spark plugs or just leave them in?

Why would you need to take it out. ONLY if it is damaged.

Remove only the plug to service the plug. If you need to remove the adapter, install a plug first before removing the adapter to keep from the adapter failing.

I installed mine once, 15 years ago.

Last edited:
Should you routinely remove the plug adapter each time you replace your 14mm spark plugs or just leave them in?
If the adaptors all remain in the cylinder head you should a) do a happy dance and b) buy a lottery ticket

Last edited:
If the adaptors all reman in the cylinder head you should a) do a happy dance and b) buy a lottery ticket

+1

Every friggin one them things came out with my plugs! Getting them off of the plugs wasn't fun either. Had to soak them in penetrant first.

Thanks all. Wasn’t sure if it was common practice to ensure they don’t seize over time. Sounds like leave them in unless they come out on their own.

Why would you need to take it out. ONLY if it is damaged.

Remove only the plug to service the plug. If you need to remove the adapter, install a plug first before removing the adapter to keep from the adapter failing.

I installed mine once, 15 years ago.

May adapters are the original from LSI, and installed I.A.W. his instructions at that time.

How to keep the adapters in

Any way to safely "encourage" the adapter to stay in? I was 8 for 8 with the adapters coming out. (I even purchased the 14 mm extensions kits for my compression tester and never used) The plugs where not easy to extract out of the adapters.

Any way to safely "encourage" the adapter to stay in? I was 8 for 8 with the adapters coming out. (I even purchased the 14 mm extensions kits for my compression tester and never used) The plugs where not easy to extract out of the adapters.

I don’t mind them coming out. I get to inspect them. I just put the adapter in the vice and sung it on the flats. I use a auto plug wrench to extract the plug from the adapters. Just my .02.

Pretty stuck

Mine were pretty well stuck to the point I was concerned I was going to damage the adapter (Now have 2 spares on hand) when I extracted the plug using a vise on the adapter. I followed the manufactures recommendation on installing and torqueing. Ended up soaking over night and trying again in the morning. Also followed the plug producers recommendation for the use of anti-seize.

Back