What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

stone chip MT prop

altsel

I'm New Here
I have collected a stone chip on the metal leading edge of a three blade MT composite propeller fitted to a RV6.

can anybody offer any advice regarding repair in europe?

is it a matter of traditional filling and dressing out??

thanks

Altsel

MT is in Germany of course. Perhaps contact them directly with pictures and request guidance?

Download the manual from their website - the operation & installation manual.
Usually E-124 https://www.mt-propeller.com/en/entw/serv_op.htm
It describes what repairs are allowable. Assess your prop against the manual. If repairs are allowed and you don't feel confident repairing it yourself find your local Diamond service centre who will have experience at these repairs. Where the manual says use 5 minute epoxy it means it, don't substitute a "better" product because you happen to have a longer setting epoxy to hand.
If you need to have the blade repaired I would contact Brinkley in Biggleswade.
Pete

both posts above contain good guidance.
I damaged one blade of my 3 bladed MT last year (yep, that was really stupid :eek:) and thought the prop was ruined. Said blade had the wood composite split, and the SS leading edge separated for about 3cm from the tip, and bent about 70° off. Sent MT some explanation as to what had happened, along with some picts. Lo and behold, received an email the following morning containing instructions for repair and reference to the repair manual. Considered as field repair, I was able to dress up the leading edge, and epoxy repair the cracks according the instructions. No traces of the repair visible today.

And one more reason I would recommend an MT above any other, and no, not employed nor sponsored by the brand ;)

Back