What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

does anyone provide escrow for kits?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’d suggest you try to find a bank in the seller’s home town, that will, for a fee, do the following:
Accept and hold a wire transfer from you to your partner.
Give your partner cash (may need a branch open on a Saturday), Or,
Return the wire to you.

Might be tough in a small town, but a good suggestion. I can try.

I might be able to wire the money to my partners account, and they go together to the branch and the guy gets whatever he wa ts, they're open 9-12 on Sat but they're .5-.75 hour away

Edit: I just checked, it's an hour each way, I'm not sure we have 2 hours to burn and still get it loaded and where we need it. Maybe it isn't meant to be.

Last edited:
Firstly, I'd want to view and inspect and verify the condition of the kit before buying. That's just due diligence.
Vans may be able to confirm the identity of the original purchaser.

Firstly, I'd want to view and inspect and verify the condition of the kit before buying. That's just due diligence.
Vans may be able to confirm the identity of the original purchaser.

That's kind of the rub. We need to inspect and pay on Saturday in a manner everyone is comfortable with. Wiring the money Friday, sight unseen isn't a happenning thing.
I don't remember if I mentioned I offered to get the check today and send him a picture so he could call my bank and verify that it's authentic, but he didn't like that.

I can't get cash, he won't take a bank check, I am unwilling to wire the funds Friday, other than an escrow I don't see another path forward, and I'm probably not paying $700 to escrow on top of an already not smoking deal. It's too bad, it was very nearly a lucky perfect opportunity

Last edited:
If its too good to be true, it probably is?

**"It's too bad, it was very nearly a lucky perfect" ** Caveat Emptor! Too much emotion involved in this one. You may feel a lot better off later to say: Gee I missed a Great Deal back then! Instead of saying Darn I fell into an expensive SCAM my emotions got to me again!" (I still keep re-learning this lesson too often.) :eek:

I used Aerospace to buy a kit - the hardest part was consistent communication about the nature of the purchase. Because no FAA bill of sale was needed, it led to some confusion, but otherwise went very well. Normal fees, split between buyer and seller.

I doubt they could turn around in your timeline though.

Last edited:
Something is fishy with a seller that won't take a certified check and is not even willing to verify it a day or two before hand with your bank. Sometimes it's hard to walk away from a "good deal" or at least what you hope is a true good deal, but the only time I've been scammed or there were attempts to scam me is when the seller demanded cash. . . just sayin.

Yes, this sounds just fishy enough to tap the brakes. And if tapping the brakes puts the kibosh on the whole deal, then it wasn't meant to be.

Any time you have a potential sale that requires A) cash only, and B) right freaking now timing, that's a bad deal waiting to happen.

When I sold my RV-10, the buyer was from another state and unknown to me. No way I would accept any kind of a check with fraud so prevalent in today’s world. When I spoke to my bank about this and my concerns of possible fraud, I was told it takes days for a check to get through the process to clear and transfer the funds. The buyer had came with his AP to do the pre-buy and wanted to fly the plane home the next day. He had his bank do an immediate wire transfer to my account that morning and flew his new plane home an hour later. My buddy, looking for an RV-9A, had a plane he was making arrangements to fly out to look at, but the seller wanted a sight unseen deposit to hold it for him so he knew he was a serious buyer. He walked from that deal.
When I sold my C-152, the buyer worked with an established and reputable airplane broker that handled the escrow.
Fraud is too easy to do and difficult to catch if you aren’t up to speed on current techniques. Be careful out there!

I used escrow.com for funds transfer on a Ferrari I sold to a buyer in Taiwan. It is a simple process with procedures that both both parties must comply with before funds are dispersed.

Thanks for all the input. Sounds like we're inching forward with aerospace reports

You gotta be careful with people using fake escrow accounts too and I've worked with them before. Escrow.com is probably a better idea but aerospace reports is super established

When I sold my RV-10, the buyer was from another state and unknown to me. No way I would accept any kind of a check with fraud so prevalent in today’s world. When I spoke to my bank about this and my concerns of possible fraud, I was told it takes days for a check to get through the process to clear and transfer the funds. The buyer had came with his AP to do the pre-buy and wanted to fly the plane home the next day. He had his bank do an immediate wire transfer to my account that morning and flew his new plane home an hour later. My buddy, looking for an RV-9A, had a plane he was making arrangements to fly out to look at, but the seller wanted a sight unseen deposit to hold it for him so he knew he was a serious buyer. He walked from that deal.
When I sold my C-152, the buyer worked with an established and reputable airplane broker that handled the escrow.
Fraud is too easy to do and difficult to catch if you aren’t up to speed on current techniques. Be careful out there!

When we bought the 172, we opened a checking account at the same bank as the seller and put our money in there. After inspecting and test-flying the airplane, we went to the bank and the teller transferred funds from our account to his, no muss no fuss and everybody happy.

escrow.com

I've also used escrow.com for some transactions and it was fine. As others have said, please take care - the scammers are really smart, please do your homework. They have been known to sell things that are not even theirs to sell, even after showing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back