What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

IO-360 C1E6

JCSmith

Has anyone changed out their O-360 to a Lyc IO-360 C1E6 engine in their RV-6A? If so, did you have to modify your cowling to make it fit?

Isn't the -C1E6 a rear intake sump? If so, you will have to change the sump or modify it for forward horizontal intake. Others have done that. Once you do that, it should fit just like an IO-360-A1A or -A1B6. If it has a fwd prop governor, you might have to make a cowl mod to fit around that - just a bump.

I'm not sure if the angle-valve engines require a different cowl on the -6. maybe not since there is excess width. It does require a different cowl on the -8. Vans doesn't show a cowl for the -6 for the angle-valve engine. I think Vans says 180 hp max on the -6.

Yea, it was the prop governor I was considering may be an issue. Thanks.

Pretty easy to cut a hole for it, put a 1/2" thick piece of foam over the governor as a guide, then fair as needed, and glass over it.

note: the 1/2 foam suggestion is to assure that you have 1/2" clearance between the cowl and governor when you are finished shaping the bump.

IO-360-C1E6 figment issues

Negative on converting front governor case to acc.case mounted governor on the rear. There is no port from the front main to feed the rear governor adapter. Also when using the C1C/C1E6 magnesium Sump you can convert it to a forward inlet by machining the pad that?s cast into the Sump and using a block off plate for the rear inlet but this Sump will not fit the ?A? models as it interferes with the nose gear. This Sump locates #3 & #4 cylinder intake tubes further aft than the A1A/A1B6 Sump that Vans commonly uses.

Negative on converting front governor case to acc.case mounted governor on the rear. There is no port from the front main to feed the rear governor adapter. Also when using the C1C/C1E6 magnesium Sump you can convert it to a forward inlet by machining the pad that’s cast into the Sump and using a block off plate for the rear inlet but this Sump will not fit the “A” models as it interferes with the nose gear. This Sump locates #3 & #4 cylinder intake tubes further aft than the A1A/A1B6 Sump that Vans commonly uses.

Ah, that's good to know. So for an "A", the only alternative would be to fit an A1A/A1B6 sump, or some custom cold induction sump.

Is that also true of the NEW "A" mount-nose gear arrangement that is more like the -10,12,14A nose gear?

Negative on converting front governor case to acc.case mounted governor on the rear. There is no port from the front main to feed the rear governor adapter.

Actually you can. I have done it.

As already mentioned, you have to make an adapter plate that mounts in place of the gov., and has a port built into it to connect a hose routed from the output of the rear gov drive.

Thanks for the info!

Easy enough decision now, going to stick with what I have now.
Thanks for the info!

Front governor to rear governor conversion

?As already mentioned, you have to make an adapter plate that mounts in place of the gov., and has a port built into it to connect a hose routed from the output of the rear gov drive.[/QUOTE]?

Okay I?ve built both type of motors ( front and rear governor ) and see how this could be made to work but am pretty sure Lycoming wouldn?t approve of this wildcat conversion. I have done some machining and adapting myself and in the experimental world I say go for it !! I?m guessing that the OP wasn?t looking for a one off but something more standardized that Van?s might recommend.

Ah, that's good to know. So for an "A", the only alternative would be to fit an A1A/A1B6 sump, or some custom cold induction sump.

Is that also true of the NEW "A" mount-nose gear arrangement that is more like the -10,12,14A nose gear?

I honestly don?t know if the new design nose gear provides more room in that area. I?m thinking RVBuilder 2002 might know the answer to that one.

Back