What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Sikaflex prep question

tomhanaway

Well Known Member
Ready to bond canopy to frame.
Have cleaner, primer and sika.

Should the canopy be roughed up where the Sika will go on the inside of the canopy against the rails or do the various Sika compounds work fine on smooth plexi/acryllic?

Thanks,
Tom H.

I did rough it up and create an adhesion profile for the adhesion promoter to seep into. It doesn't say in the directions that you have to, but I certainly would do it again. I hope this helps!

:) CJ

Do two test pieces and try it for yourself. I didn't scuff up the plexiglass and the bond is extremely tenacious.

EDIT: I checked my build log and sure enough I scuffed the plexiglass and aluminum. Pretty sure I used a maroon scotchbrite pad for the scuffing.

Last edited:
Check out the product instructions on-line. Pretty sure SIKA says to roughen up the surface...

Roughen it up, why take the chance. I roughened it up and seem to recall reading directions to do so although I can't put my hands on them now.

I used Scotchbrite. The areas that were not scuffed and had primer as "over shot" or otherwise where it didnt belong could be peeled away without much effort. Scuffing is a must.

Back