What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Windscreen fairing crack

RV10Rob

Well Known Member
windscreen.jpg

I have a crack up front where my windscreen fairing meets the aluminum. Anyone ever see something like this or have advice on what to do about it? I thought I prepped the aluminum properly, but maybe not. I'm at 3 years and ~250 hours, and this happened on my coldest day flying yet (-17C at altitude).

Thanks...

-Rob

I developed two similar cracks like yours, but shorter (maybe three inches long, spaced six inches). I tried to fill with epoxy and repaint but I don't consider it finished. Could look a lot better cosmetically. I have not yet routed out the crack and refilled, and have been running like that for several years now. They have not grown, either in length or width.

Thanks, guys. I haven't done anything with it yet. I've been flying for the last 9 months with electrical tape over the crack to keep moisture out, which is really sloppy for an otherwise nice airplane.

I want to fix it soon, but don't really know how. I'm thinking I can inject some acetone-thinned proseal for a fix that's less than perfect cosmetically, but not sure that would actually work. Does anyone make electrical tape in Matterhorn White? :)

-Rob

What filler materials did you use? All epoxy/microballoons or polyester body filler (Bondo).

What was your surface prep - 80 grit?

Any reason you wouldn't just take a 2" disc and grind it down to the aluminum and build back up? (other than having to repaint)

Background - this may help. I was on tour at Vans and looking at the new 14. It has a formed aluminum fairing at the forward base of the canopy. I was asking about bonding. Sterling said there was not much force to be applied there and that it would stay if the aluminum lip was just sitting over the plexi, that it was the sides that really hold it in place. They only thing they do is sealing. I don't remember what they used . . . windshield urethane, or pro seal?. Definitely not silicone RTV. They just riveted the fairing to the forward canopy frame skin.

Last edited:
Back