What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

JB Weld

SeanB

Well Known Member
Hello,

I've seen some builders use JB Weld to create shims for the tip up canopy frame where the skin does not mate with the frame. I would like to do the same, but noticed most of the JB Weld products indicate, "Steel Reinforced" on the label.

Should I be concerned about disimilar metal interaction if I utilize this product? The bonded side will of course be in direct contact with the aluminum canopy frame, where the mating skin side can be primed before riveting.

Thanks,

Can't answer regarding JB Weld ...

... But I used flox, thus no concerns about bonding or compatibility.

I used it, no problem with the metal interactions. However, I had more trouble with the JB Weld shims crumbling and breaking under stress or bend. Next time I'll go with resin/flox or micro.

Last edited:
just an aside, since I saw the reference to super glue.
I use it for lots of projects..... and sprinkle baking soda on it.
It accelerates and hardens instantly... and also creates a filler, that can be sanded etc.
Can be done in stages too.... little more glue.... little more baking soda etc.
Have fun....

fwiw ,
i have assembled 2 flat pieces of metal with jb weld and t-88 and then broken them apart with measured weights to determine the strongest bond.metal/metal.
the t-88 was 7 times stronger.

just an aside, since I saw the reference to super glue.
I use it for lots of projects..... and sprinkle baking soda on it.
It accelerates and hardens instantly... and also creates a filler, that can be sanded etc.
Can be done in stages too.... little more glue.... little more baking soda etc.
Have fun....

Just a reminder?.don't use super glue around your canopy. The fumes may craze the edges.

Or just laminate 1/2 wide alum. strips of differing thicknesses. You can even taper the ends somewhat on a belt sander.

The shim only really matters where there is a rivet.

Good reminder... fumes from CA (super glue) are noxious and bad for clear canopies. Good for bringing out fingerprints though.
Also have heard cheap vinyl will outgas and bugger up a canopy too. Glare shield material should be carefully chosen... Creeping thread. Sorry. Back to JB weld now... Happy Christmas

Back