What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Control cable torque?

vmirv8bldr

Well Known Member
According to my chart, the proper torque value for the nuts that secure the mixture/throttle/prop control cables should be torqued in the 500 in-lb range. That value is understandable for a solid bolt/nut, but for a hollow tube? This seems high. I am curious if there is a different torque method for these nuts, or if this is correct. I am concerned about damaging the cables torquing to this value.

I was unable to find anything with a search, so I tend to think I'm missing something obvious. Any hints?

I'm sure there is a torque value somewhere (Gil will find it) but I've never seen one. I'm sure that if you torque it to 500 in lbs it will snap long before that :eek:

Treat it more like an AN tube fitting and you should be ok, to me it's one of those "goodntight" torques :D

Checked with A&P

I stopped in a checked with the A&P at the airport today. He said these nuts are kept tight by the internal tooth lockwasher, and all we're shooting for is to get the lock washer to bite a bit, but not crush the teeth of the washer. So, as a rule of thumb, get it snug, and then a quarter to half turn and you're done.

Back