- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 03-12-2020, 07:07 AM

Greg, may I offer a suggestion?

Much seems to be driven by the need to enforce FAA extended safety areas and airspace closures. I submit the "airshow" side of the operation has simply gotten out of control.

Consider this simple fact...vendors participate to sell stuff. They have no reason to be on the grounds other than to talk face to face. The same is true for forums, safety presentations, journalists, etc. In recent times there are big chunks of the day during which every conversation is interrupted repeatedly by a passing jet. And not just during an expected airshow period. Some demand practice time...which also closes airspace to arrivals and departures.

I love the Blue Angels. I love the Thunderbirds. I think the Snowbirds are fabulous. But hey, I can visit a military base during an open house to see them...an appropriate venue. They have no business at S&F.

Now to the airshow itself. I just looked at the NOTAM for closure times. It's an old, sore subject with a lot of us. The field is closed....

Tuesday 4 hours
Wednesday 4 hours
Thursday 4.5 hours
Friday 4.5 hours
Saturday 5 hours
Sunday 5 hours

Yes, I want to see an airshow. I want to see the best, and for me, Lakeland has delivered many times. However, four to five hours is way too much. It's not fair to the vendors, or the pilots who wish to come and go. After a day or two, even pilots who love airshows find it tiresome. So we leave...if we can.

Let's address the elephant in the room. The military teams and the extended show appear to be there to attract a gate crowd. It's about ticket sales, even if it screws the vendors and the pilots who fly in. So, some are voting with their feet. I didn't go last year, and would not have attended the several previous had I not been covering a magazine commitment.

Please note I understand your commitment to aerospace education, and as a business owner, I know how decisions are driven by a financial statement. My feeling is that the die is cast, and fundamental change is no longer possible; S&F has become responsible for funding the educational commitment. The motorhome areas are full, and the ticket gates are humming, so frankly, I don't expect the fly-in aspect to change much. That said, I hope to be proved wrong, because I had a lot of good times there in the old days.

Last edited by DanH : 03-12-2020 at 09:08 AM.
Old 03-12-2020, 09:12 AM

Dan, that's about as straight and to the point as one could ask for. I agree 100% and I'm voting "feet" this year.

What would really be nice if someone or group saw the need for a "real" Fly -in in Florida regional or otherwise and willing to work toward that. The Fla venue in the spring is great but , Wx can be unpredictable but when its good the venue and event can be great. I think you would find the Homebuilt group as well as others could support such an event and have supported that well in the past.

With that the S N F can have their grand scale airshows with gate sales, public and etc with the homebuilders gathering at a later date or maybe even earlier. I also like South Carolina!
Old 03-12-2020, 01:17 PM

Default S & F

I agree completely with Dan's excellent post.
I want to take this a step further. I believe that Lakeland Airport does not have the "real estate" required for a jet aerobatic waiver. This was much discussed in thee late 70's early 80's, that S&F would never have a military jet team show.
I further believe that the FAA has relaxed their own waiver requirements to accommodate jet aerobatic shows at Lakeland and Oshkosh.
These events used to be called Fly ins. That concept is long gone. It is all about selling tickets.
The military jet shows should be restricted to military bases.
Old 03-12-2020, 01:42 PM

Default Sun and Fun

https://www.floridatoday.com/story/n...te/5031654002/

NHRA just cancelled this weekends GatorNationals in Gainesville, FL based on Florida Governor Desantis recommendation of limiting large gatherings. Stay tuned.
RANS S-6ES N75798
Taylorcraft L-2 N55049
Old 03-12-2020, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisRhodes View Post
Dan, that's about as straight and to the point as one could ask for. I agree 100% and I'm voting "feet" this year.
You may not have a choice this year in light of the recent current events. It sure looks like it will take an executive order, but that may not be far off.

-Marc

Last edited by Plummit : 03-13-2020 at 12:38 AM.
Old 03-12-2020, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swoda View Post
https://www.floridatoday.com/story/n...te/5031654002/

NHRA just cancelled this weekends GatorNationals in Gainesville, FL based on Florida Governor Desantis recommendation of limiting large gatherings. Stay tuned.
The Players Championship is UNDER WAY here in the Jax area and just cancelled spectators rest of the week. Gates closed at noon today. March Madness fully cancelled. Hard to see how SnF will happen.

RV-14A built/sold N14VB
RV-12iS in progress as of October 2020
Old 03-12-2020, 02:59 PM

Yah, I?m waiting for that shoe to drop. In my state (OH), all schools will close on Monday for 3 weeks, our St Patrick?s day parade is canceled, opening day (MLB-Reds) is canceled, and this morning they banned gatherings of 100 or more people everywhere. Lots of seniors (I?m one of them) wondering around the grounds at SNF, kids too...... and then there?s those port-a-potties.....
Is this whole thing overblown? Compared to the swine flu, and H1N1, it sure seems like it is, but what are you going to do?
RV4/bought 2016/sold/2017
RV8/2018 built/Sold(sadly)
RV4/bought 2019 Flying
Cincinnati, OH/KHAO
JAN2021
Old 03-12-2020, 04:02 PM

Default RV 4 ME

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyLucas View Post
Cool, and welcome! So which RV are you going to build?
Man, I've been thinking about it! I like aerobatics, so an RV-8 would be my pick!
Old 03-12-2020, 04:07 PM

Dan,

Great input, and I agree on several levels, not so much on others. I think thinning the airshow back is needed, and as the guy who does the whole thing let me tell you, it would be a welcome break! But you're right, it does draw a crowd. What I have noticed is that people who are there for what you guys love pretty much ignore the show. What if we just had a few really hot acts on Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday for say, 2.5 hours, and saved the big stuff for the "stroller derby" on the weekend? Half the week for the true aviators, and the other half for the casual enthusiasts that have the kids we want to engage? Interested in the group's opinion.
Old 03-12-2020, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisRhodes View Post

What would really be nice if someone or group saw the need for a "real" Fly -in in Florida regional or otherwise and willing to work toward that. The Fla venue in the spring is great but , Wx can be unpredictable but when its good the venue and event can be great. I think you would find the Homebuilt group as well as others could support such an event and have supported that well in the past.

With that the S N F can have their grand scale airshows with gate sales, public and etc with the homebuilders gathering at a later date or maybe even earlier. I also like South Carolina!
What if we did just a homebuilt fly-in at the SUN 'n FUN Expo site? No airshow, use our air conditioned hangar for exhibits, had some great food, music, and some workshops? Big dinner, live band, awards... what do you guys think? would you come? We host over 90 other events at our grounds during the year. Why not one for you?