What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

New optional kit: ACCESS PANEL KIT for 7/9/10/14

greghughespdx

Well Known Member
Advertiser
Hi All ?

There?s a new optional kit available to order form the Van's web store as of last night. We have several in stock now. It's called "ACCESS PANEL KIT" and is designed for use on the RV-7/9/10/14. It can be used during new construction, or as a retrofit installation (in which case you'll drill out two applicable rivets so you can fit the template).

The kit sells for $19.00, so let's face it, it?s a freakin? bargain. Try that, certified world!

https://shop.vansaircraft.com/cgi-bin/shop.cgi?browse=new&product=AccessPanelsKit

This particular kit was initially the work of our friend Joe Blank, who worked in technical support here at Van's and unfortunately passed away a few years ago. We were able to pick up his work and finish it off so we can share it with you.

This kit was created in response to customer desires/requests over the years. Our engineering team has worked recently to select and deliver a handful of these smaller enhancement requests when they can find a few cycles (and that doesn't happen often - did I mention we are hiring engineers?) with the goal of delivering options that people can choose from if they wish. Other recent examples include this kit, the cowl louvers kit, the AHARS mounting bracket kit, RV-12 step plugs and optional style throttle handle, etc. You'll find those on our web store in the "New Products" section.

What this kit does: Allows the builder to put a couple of access panels in the skin ahead of the windscreen, which can be removed in the event there's a need to get into the area between the firewall and the subpanel located at the back of the avionics bay. Some builders want this so they can get access without having to contort themselves upside down under the instrument panel while doing maintenance. You do need to use a sealant when installing the panels, so the primary tradeoffs here are easier access vs. the potential for leaks if not properly sealed when closed up.

The instructions page (OP-43) is linked from the kit?s web store page, and that document should answer any questions you have about how one applies this kit and how the parts fit, etc. There are template instructions for each of the airplanes it applies to, all explained in the OP-43 document.

Again, this kit is designed for and includes templates for the RV-7/7A, RV-9/9A, RV-10, and RV-14/14A.

cat-med_AccessPanelsKit.jpg

Good job! I had to make my own and was really wishing then that something like this was available.

Awesome!!!

Greg,

Thanks to you and Vans for this, it's really great to see the response to a need for access in this area!

Some of us - well, me at least - could better use access on the curved sides of that Forward Fuse Top skin (in my case, an RV-7). If engineering bandwidth allows in the future, it would be nice to know that this kit could be adapted to create side access panels.

Just a suggestion for future consideration...I'm very happy that Van's is doing things like this.

Many thanks -

Dave

Last edited:
Greg, the instructions have these access plates on the two inboard sections of the forward bay. Is there any reason why we couldn't use them on the outboard sections where the curve is more pronounced? That location would be far more useful to my current configuration.

Lucky for me Vans relegated the -6 to the dustbin of history once more, lest I?d buy one set :p

Well, lookie there! Very nice. I've been enjoying mine for the last 13yrs.

This is a great deal. My friend Chuck helped me with the template and making them for my 9. Well, he did most of it!

The one thing to understand is if you just put the template on the top to mark the rivet holes, they will not line up because of the bend in the foreskin when you place the shelf piece under. At least that was what I experienced.

I have access panels on each side and it has saved climbing back into the womb of the plane to work on the panel!

Some of us - well, me at least - could better use access on the curved sides of that Forward Fuse Top skin (in my case, an RV-7). If engineering bandwidth allows in the future, it would be nice to know that this kit could be adapted to create side access panels.

There is a good possibility that there would be some slight misalignment screw holes in the cover because of the differing radii that the doubler and cover would be installed at, but it might be slight enough that it wouldn't be an issue.

As insurance the doublers could be riveted in place before before installing the nutplates on them. That would allow for match drilling a custom cover if it was necessary.
If installed on the curved sides, I would recommend pre-curving the covers so they match the skin shape to avoid puckering and a higher difficulty in getting them sealed well.

12 years ago I made a set of these and put them in. In the time since, I can't imagine maintaining the airplane without the access they provide. A definite thumbs up.

I'm wondering if these can be located more aft of the firewall than what the plans indicate. I have a 7 tipper and am considering the benefits of these on the curved section, but a little more aft so I can get to wiring and Garmin boxes in those areas.

There is a good possibility that there would be some slight misalignment screw holes in the cover because of the differing radii that the doubler and cover would be installed at, but it might be slight enough that it wouldn't be an issue.

As insurance the doublers could be riveted in place before before installing the nutplates on them. That would allow for match drilling a custom cover if it was necessary.
If installed on the curved sides, I would recommend pre-curving the covers so they match the skin shape to avoid puckering and a higher difficulty in getting them sealed well.

Good stuff, thanks Scott!

Dave

... snip ...

This particular kit was initially the work of our friend Joe Blank, who worked in technical support here at Van's and unfortunately passed away a few years ago. We were able to pick up his work and finish it off so we can share it with you.

... snip ...

Thanks Joe for making this possible. Miss you a lot and think about you often.

I think one of our friends that helped you with Formation Flying may have put this idea in your head.

So it can be done

I put these in my plane in 2006 and there were a few people on here telling everyone “oh, you can’t do that, your plane will fall out of the sky!” Well, I guess you actually can do that! Mine has been flying just fine with them :)

Last edited:
Joe Blank was such a cool cat that I think the part should be named after him :)

I remember quite well going on a beer run in an airport car with him.

Great timing... I was planning on riveting on the upper forward fuselage of my RV-10 this weekend..... now hoping to get parts so I can rivet it all together next weekend!

Try as I might, I can find no dimensions for this panel. What are the dimensions for the opening and the frame?

Does the kit come with one or two access panels?

George

How about four panels??

This is a nice addition. I tried to keep as much avionics stuff on the sub panels so I could access them by removing an EFIS panel. However, some stuff still ended up on the aft side of the firewall and forward of the sub panels. I was thinking, could we add a total of four access panels across the front? That would give you access to just about anything in that area.

It should would be nice to be able to access everything across the front!!

Kit Received

Just received my kit. These are somewhat larger than I expected. Cover plate is 7? across. Mounting plate is 8? across, with 1? width. Should be enough of an opening to access these areas pretty well. Quality is what you would expect from Van?s...top notch. Great deal for the low price, especially because hardware is included.

I thought I would give everybody a peek at what these look like installed on the side bays of an RV-10. I like this location much better for my situation.
Thanks Darin, I'm thinking of the same location. When you curved the cover plates to fit, did the prepunched screw holes line up ok with the doublers?

Dave

Last edited:
Yes, you can reach the middle bays but the ribs do limit your visibility to that location. I intentionally minimized the amount of "stuff" I installed in those inner bays because it is such a bugger to get to...especially with that tunnel and center console. When I did this on my 9A slider I used the inboard bays and I find that I can't reach outboard very easily... part of the reason why I decided to install these panels outboard. Besides, when the engine gets installed this is a much more accessible location.

Regarding the hole lineup. I think they are pretty darn close. I drilled the backing ring mount holes by doing the two middle ones that are not affected by the curve and then moving the backing ring to the inside and back drilling from inside. The screw holes were very close, probably no more than .005" off. I match drilled them with a #21 bit and then used my #19 reamer to finish them off. As you can see the screws all fit rather well. I'm pretty happy with the way it turned out.

Nice to see a factory option! Placed my order for one as it looks to maybe ease some of the issues on placing EFI components; it's on backorder expected around 3/11 but not a concern--I have plenty to do building my engine in the meantime...

I thought I would give everybody a peek at what these look like installed on the side bays of an RV-10. I like this location much better for my situation....

EDIT: Oooops...already answered :rolleyes:

Darin...did you encounter any misalignment of the top panel due to the added radius like Scott was referring to in post #11?

Last edited:
Darin...did you encounter any misalignment of the top panel due to the added radius like Scott was referring to in post #11?

Not really, there is a slight misalignment but not enough that it caused any issues with installing the cover. I'm installing the left side now and I will report if I find anything different.

How watertight do these kind of panels end up being? With the avionics there I?d be a little worried about water ingress.

I've never had a leak in the panels I cut into my 9A. I do keep it in a hangar, and when it sits outside it is covered with a canopy cover. No leaking after flying through some pretty heavy rain getting into Oshkosh 2018 either. I use some stuff an AP friend of mine calls butterscotch tape as a sealant. He tells me that stuff is used to waterproof access panels on some of the big guys.

That said, there are no avionics close to the opening I pictured above (RV-10) so I'm not worried about drips even if there is a small leak.

I use silicone grease for sealing the panels I made

I have them open often enough for inspections and tweaking that I would not want to use anything like proseal.

Ron

Rubber seal

Create a rubber seal.

Use permatex black silicone to form a seal. Put a good coat of mold release on the airframe, I use maguires mold release, but any good wax will do the job. Then place a thick bead of the RTV on the cover and smear the entire seating surface, ensuring you coat well around the screw dimples, and then install. Wait for the rtv to cure, remove any excess and booyah, you have a seal that is water tight.

You will be able to remove the cover and reinstall no problem.

Per Vans Instructions

A gasket can be created between the VA-258A Access Rings and VA-258B Access Panels using a thin application of tank sealant. Apply a small bead of sealant along the top side of the access ring close to the edge of the F-771, F-7106, or F-1071 FWD Fuse Tip Skin. Cover the opening and sealant with an oversized piece of plastic wrap and press the access panel into position. Screw the access panel in place and allow for the tank sealant to cure completely. Remove the access panel and carefully peel off the plastic wrap. Replace the access panel and screw into place.

Haven't done this yet though myself.

Above would likely work as well.

I am guessing a lot of RV builders are not aware of some of the lessons learned over the years regarding these types of features on aircraft.

Example - The early generation Mooneys had a large access cover on the fwd upper fuselage just ahead of the base of the windscreen, to provide access to the firewall side of the instrument panel. As these airplanes got older, water intrusion and the damage and corrosion it caused, became a serous problem and there have been constant challenges in keeping them sealed water tight.

For this reason, I would never install access panels without wet sealing the covers when installing them.
Particularly when one of the the prime reasons for installing the covers was to provide easy access to expensive electronics equipment.

Back