What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

New Cylinders....which ones?

About to pull the pin on 4 new cylinders for my narrow deck O-320.
I had my mind made up about a month ago on which ones to buy, and now I'm waffling.
I won't tell you now which ones I had decided on, but will tell when this thread peters out....

I don't fly it alot, 25hrs/year, but it is in a dry climate and hangared.

ECI
Superior
Lycoming

Which of these would you choose, and why?

I chose Lycoming cylinders for my rebuild over 900 hrs ago. No regrets.

I have had all three brands in service among our fleet. Don't have enough hours on the Superior's to comment on them, but haven't had any issues (and this was a ten year old "new" engien that had been in desert storage). The ECI Cerminils I had for 1400 hours had a ring delamination problem, and frankly never had very good oil consumption - about 6 hours to the quart. Shortly before I replaced them, I broke in the all-Lycoming engine on our RV-3, equipped with stock Nitrided cylinders. They broke in at the two hour mark, and have run about 25 - 30 hours to the quart ever since (580 hours). So....when I needed new jugs for the Val (the one with the Cerminils), I ordered four standard Lycomings from A.E.R.O. And have been very happy with them.

Quite a turn-around for Lyclming since the late 90's when they had huge (bad) quality issues on their jugs. I thank the competition from ECI and Superior for brining Lyc back into the quality fold.

Paul

On my third full set of ECI recall cyls in 500 hours...... Never again!!

Even if they give them to me again. They did break in in just a few hours, and use less than a quart of Phillips in over 30 hours.

My Millenium cylinders by Superior have performed flawlessly from day 1. Oil consumption is absolutely consistent at 1qt per 31 hrs. I'd get them again in a heartbeat.

My Millenium cylinders by Superior have performed flawlessly from day 1. Oil consumption is absolutely consistent at 1qt per 31 hrs. I'd get them again in a heartbeat.

Just curious what generation of cylinders these are? Thanks, Larry

I have flown engines with new ECI, Superior and Lycoming with great results on all of them. Our RV-10 had ECI's with wonderful results for 1300+ hours.

Right now, I think I would go with Lycomings, but it's a hard choice.

I have flown engines with new ECI, Superior and Lycoming with great results on all of them. Our RV-10 had ECI's with wonderful results for 1300+ hours.

Right now, I think I would go with Lycomings, but it's a hard choice.

Just curious, hard choice? And to argue with a few hundred that got screwed by ECi.......? weird.

Last edited:
Just curious, hard choice? And to argue with a few hundred that got screwed by ECi.......? weird.

If you read the AvWeb articles on ECI's cylinders, it sounds like those recalls were a raw deal, given that other manufacturers have had similar failure rates without incurring AD's.

For what it's worth, I was told by Lycon that stock Lycoming cylinders flow as well as Superior cylinders that have been ported. He did not mention ECI.

Was told that the Lycoming ones have much more potential after porting.

I have had good luck with all three brands. I know people that have problems with all three brands.

Since I live in Pennsylvania, I would tend to buy the local cylinders from the company (Lycoming) in Pennsylvania even if they are a little more money. Since Lycoming does not sell direct, I would tend to buy from a VAF advertiser that also has a facility in Pennsylvania. (A.E.R.O.) BTW, A.E.R.O. will sell you two of the tree brand of cylinders that you are comparing. Ask them why the do not sell the other brand.

Just curious what generation of cylinders these are? Thanks, Larry

I'm not sure, Larry. I purchased the engine from Aerosport Power in fall of 2009 ... it was in the batch of complete engines they purchased from Superior, who was changing ownership at that time (at least that's my understanding.)

Just for kicks, you could go with 2 Lycomings and one each Superior and ECI.
:) :)

You could have one reworked Chrome Lycoming, a new Lycoming, a Superior, and an ECI on your 4-cylinder engine.

I personally like 4 that are all the same make and age if at all possible. When a problem develops during the 1st run of a set of cylinders, my goal is to have the replacement(s) last for at least what I expect the others will go without service.

just another silly opinion

.....so you are in/near Edmonchuk, I'd be tempted to go with a supplier....someone within a days drive ( Like AeroSport in Kamloops) and use whatever cylinder they are recommending and standing behind.

again, just a thought!

Thanks to all that have replied, your imput is appreciated.
I had decided on the ECI Titan jugs as my choice, it seems that most of the ones with the failures are the big bore Continentals, and not the smaller Lycoming 320's.

With everyones input though, I will take another look at the Lycoming factory jugs....

Thanks guys....

I have a IO-320 ECI built by Titan three years ago. Love the engine, break in was quick and oil consumption is 25-30 hrs per qt.

For ten years I struggled with ECI cylinders. Delamination of rings after about 300 hours, oil consumption always high. Last spring they were rebuilt again and in 60 hours, never broke in. After 50 hours of blow by I started to make metal. 10 hours later, more metal, and we pulled a jug and found a cam bad. It had been fine previously, and I blame contamination of the oil with blow by and delaminating rings.
I used the recommended oils and breaking procedures each time.
The engine has been rebuilt, cam, bearings etc, and six brand new lycoming jugs

Break in was normal, low oil consumption, and a clean belly for the first time in ten years.

I have a IO-320 ECI built by Titan three years ago. Love the engine, break in was quick and oil consumption is 25-30 hrs per qt.

For ten years I struggled with ECI cylinders. Delamination of rings after about 300 hours, oil consumption always high. Last spring they were rebuilt again and in 60 hours, never broke in. After 50 hours of blow by I started to make metal. 10 hours later, more metal, and we pulled a jug and found a cam bad. It had been fine previously, and I blame contamination of the oil with blow by and delaminating rings.
I used the recommended oils and breaking procedures each time.
The engine has been rebuilt, cam, bearings etc, and six brand new lycoming jugs

Break in was normal, low oil consumption, and a clean belly for the first time in ten years.

Not all ECI Titan Cylinders are made the same. Here we have the ECI Titan STEEL cylinders with low oil consumption (like I have) and ECI Nickle+Carbide cylinders that use lots of oil. (or at least everyone I know that used them has had high oil consumption at some time between overhaul)

In addition to the two different cylinder barrel interior surfaces, there are also two different exterior barrels that ECI uses. Have not heard of any difference in the exterior barrel with tapered fins having issues other than the weight they save.

I am of the opinion that that the Nickle+Carbide cylinder barrels should be avoided on airplanes that are flown regularly. The only advantage may be better corrosion protection in an engine that resides in a corrosive environment and not flown regularly.

Superior, they may be

my Superior cylinders have been great from day one. break in was accomplished in the first hour, 1 qt oil used every 25-30 hours since. 380+ hours and going strong. I would definitely buy them again.

I would also be keen to know what people think of these AX50 cylinders? I think the AX50 cylinders are what ACE use on their engines. On paper they look good.

Hey welcome to VAF, I was talking to Kevin Eldridge about his setup and almost went that route before I found my engine prop setup, if I had the extra money I would have went that route, I like the design and maybe after some time on his engines get logged, I might try a set. He is making some good HP #s

Thanks to all that have replied, your imput is appreciated.
I had decided on the ECI Titan jugs as my choice, it seems that most of the ones with the failures are the big bore Continentals, and not the smaller Lycoming 320's.
With everyones input though, I will take another look at the Lycoming factory jugs....Thanks guys....

Forrest, how about posting the bottom line street prices you've been quoted in your research?

Forrest, how about posting the bottom line street prices you've been quoted in your research?

$1695 for lycoming nitrite steel cylinders
$1575 for ECI titans
never got a quote for the superiors

All in Canadian dollars...

I'm now leaning towards the lycoming jugs...but $7300 tax in shipped to my door....D@mn

I think the Lycoming comes with the piston pin too. At least that's what I've heard.

Is anyone making nickel barrels besides ECI now? It's not apparent whether Superior does, and I'm pretty sure Lycoming does not.

I hate to admit it, but I'm not sure I'll be able to fly as regularly as I like and I think something a little more corrosion resistant would be nice.

Back