What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-4 Rollover Escape Methods

airduct

Hi All,

What is the escape procedure in the event of a rollover on the ground?

Does anyone have any interesting add-ons to enhance survivability and ease of escape?

My worry is you'd be pinned and stuck in the plane if you flipped it.

A crazy thought - could you have a jack post behind the pilot that shoots up using C02 or mechanical cranking?

Know anyone who has rolled it over and escaped?

Thanks again!

I've had to extricate people from a flipped 6A and had a pretty deep cut on my arm from doing so. My best advise is carry an axe (not one of those so-called canopy breakers) because there's a possibility that you might have to chop away the airframe to get out, and be in good physical shape to where you are flexible, can crawl readily, and can deal with a high-stress situation.

I have first hand knowledge from getting someone out of an RV-4. You won't have any room to swing an axe in an RV-4. Stick with some sort of canopy breaker or large STRONG knife. A small shovel might be extremely useful to move dirt away and make an exit tunnel.

After this experience, I gave this RV-4 scenario much thought. If your seat back is held with hinge pins, you MIGHT be able to worm around upside-down and remove the seat back. Doing so MIGHT allow you to crawl out more easily through the aft portion of the canopy, which will likely be higher. The front of the canopy will likely be very, very close to the ground based on the rather mild, flipover that I witnessed and helped with.

Not a good feeling

So, is it correct to assume you'd need someone on the outside to get the solo pilot out then?

If that is the case I don't like those odds, especially with injury or fire at hand...

I am going to try and come up with some kind of jack post or the like that you could punch up to open up the ground to frame space a bit...

Any file photos showing how it crumples too?

Purely from the engineering side, it would be interesting to see what various RV-4 wrecks look like. Are there pics anywhere of such?

You could hook it on your belt loop and just eject yourself before the airplane hit the ground. That sounds lghtweight, simple and safe!

So, is it correct to assume you'd need someone on the outside to get the solo pilot out then?

If that is the case I don't like those odds, especially with injury or fire at hand...

I am going to try and come up with some kind of jack post or the like that you could punch up to open up the ground to frame space a bit...

Roll over escape

SOG sells an entreching shovel which takes about the same amount of room as a stack of paper plates, mount it infront of the spar The shovel can be adjusted at 0, 90 and 180 degrees for digging also it incorporates a saw on the side of the blade, It will cut wood, should cut aluminum, plexi also can be used as a hacking tool canopy buster. They also have a great line of
knives used by our best

Tailwinds
Ken

I also know someone who rolled his RV-4 over on a soft field landing. He needed help to get out of the plane. Fortunately his buddy saw it happen and ran to help him get out of the plane.

Shape charge and earplugs

But if you don't carry that around everyday.... That sog tool is a great choice! I love the IR beacon and the eprb. Sat phones are pretty cool but won't work if you can't reach it. Pre think what you could reach if you are upside down and squished.... Reaching in your pockets is impossible while you are hooked in. Think about where your hands will be. If you are wearing a vest, things on your chest are pretty to reach. Anywhere else can be very difficult. Look for a pony bottle if you are going over water.

Wow this thread has really got me thinking...almost wondering if the risks of a low wing plane with no doors is worth the risk. I remember when Charlie Hillard lost his life when his Sea Fury flipped over on landing. Landing in a cornfield is more than likely going to flip you over. How about ditching! Can the canopy be opened under water or will the forces be too great. On land I would worry most about a post crash fire and no way to escape. Can the canopy be jettisoned prior to touchdown? If so, will the strike the tail? Lots of new things for an aspiring RV owner to think about.....
Dom

Unlatch canopy on touchdown?

It's SOP in many aircraft to pop the door open on short final in an emergency landing. I wonder if unlatching the canopy on or just before touchdown would be helpful. You could hold the latch open (while holding the canopy closed) with your left hand after you're done pulling power. If it seems a nose-over is imminent, you could toss the canopy open.

Its doubtful you'd remember to do it when your mind turns to mush in a real emergency, but it might be a reasonable item to include on an emergency checklist. If you have a passenger, unlatching the canopy might be a good task to offload to them.

I don't know - it might be a dumb idea, but its something to think about.

M

I am building a -4 and I have been thinking about this really hard. I have looked at installing explosive bolts and also the explosive Actuators under the canopy rail that could be used to "blow" the canopy off quickly in an emergency. I don't even know where I could get such hardware and I have been looking into other options.

Before you commit a lot of effort to (safely) installing explosive bolts, canopy pushers, and ejection seats, you might ask the question "just how many folks have died BECAUSE they couldn't get out of an RV-4 after a flip?" Finding out the actual risk involved with a potential problem is the first step in comparing that risk to OTHER risks that you might be buying in to with a fix.

No, I haven't done that research, but I can't recall hearing of such a case in the past ten years that I have been involved in RV's....

Very true, the fire risk seems to be the biggest threat. I will be flying with my wife and don't want Her stuck inside. I will be Installing a fire suppression system. It's extra weight, but it's cheap life Insurance.. Last thing i want is to burn alive because Im stuck in a canopy that may be in soft dirt or mud.

Be findable (my new word for the day)

I also know someone who rolled his RV-4 over on a soft field landing. He needed help to get out of the plane. Fortunately his buddy saw it happen and ran to help him get out of the plane.

One thing that my primary instructor taught me 25 years ago and I share with all of my students....don't crash any further from the farmhouse than you want to crawl with a broken leg or two. Similar strategy on this issue....try to make sure someone finds you ASAP.

I've thought about this a lot. Here in Kansas everyone says "look at all the places you can go if the engine fails". True, but in the RV I seriously worry about ending up in a field, upside down, with the roll bar buried part way. It makes dodging power lines and mailboxes on country roads look like a very reasonable option. Not to mention someone will find you pretty soon on a road. In a field, maybe not.

Risk???

Ironflight is right...... how many accidents have resulted in an upside down 4 with the person trapped inside?

Yes, of course its possible, but before stir up a lot of fear, do the research and establish if there is a problem...... I would be interested in the results. I think its much more likely in an A model with a nose flip. What tends to happen with 4's is the gear collapses under the wing if its banged in.

While the flip over in the 9 is a cause for concern for me, I have never worried about this in a 4. The brakes are not powerful enough to induce this.

Steve, not so sure about the RV4 brakes not being strong enough. Was flying my -4 into Kern County ap. first in a gaggle of about 10 rv's. Misjudged the speed and floated too far, really didn't want to miss that first turn off and force the guys behind me to go around (who wants to be that guy!). At just above a normal taxi speed i put the brakes on hard and the tail came right up and fast! An -4 will go on its nose with overally agressive braking.

As you know the rv4 canopy is attached with soft pop rivets to allow it to be jetttisoned. I'm thinking about re-designing my canopy hold-open bar as it is pretty strong, as most I have seen are, and might defeat the purpose of the soft rivets. i want the option of jettisoning the canopy, and have it come off cleanly.

Warren Moore
RV4
hooks - houston.

"just how many folks have died BECAUSE they couldn't get out of an RV-4 after a flip?"

I don't want to be the first to find out.

I had a friend who has since passed flipped an RV-6 in an off-airport landing due to a mechanical malfunction. No fire but he had to dig his way out and cut his hands up on the way out. In a muddy plowed field the airplane sank to where he had about a foot of space to crawl through.

Just ordered a Gerber E-Tool Folding Shovel which should fit nicely in one of the compartments the Rocket has within easy reach. Seems to be a good idea.

Some Vans RV Accident Pic Links I found

3 of these are rollovers. Some recommend the canopy breaker and also a small shovel to dig the dirt away so you can tunnel out a bit from the front.

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Van's-RV-4/1245007/L/

http://www.aviationinspector.com/?p=11591 (has video at bottom too)

http://www.shepherdsfire.com/news/fullstory/newsid/176220

http://www.sundaysun.co.uk/news/north-east-news/2008/08/31/miracle-as-pensioner-pilots-escape-plane-crash-79310-21642758/

http://saweatherobserver.blogspot.ca/2010/04/aircraft-makes-emergency-landing-on.html

http://jacksonville.com/community/nassau/2012-07-20/story/nassau-county-man-dies-plane-crash-georgia

http://www.news9.com/story/14632359/ntsb-pilot-partly-to-blame-for-crash-that-killed-him-and-his-mother

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=13039&page=7 (scan down the page for the pic)

Then I went looking for canopy breaker info...

http://www.aircraftspruce.ca/catalog/pspages/canopybreaker.php

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/145756-jet-pilot-egress-knifecanopy-breaker-tool/

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ORIGINAL-USAF-F-4-AIRCRAFT-CANOPY-BREAKER-TOOL-BRACKET-MAKER-MARKED-/300810878640?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4609b9beb0&ssPageName=RSS:B:SHOP:US:101

http://www.flyboyaccessories.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=438

http://www.flyboyaccessories.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=439

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4a8cntPdRtk

Here is a good video demo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRvQxGl4kt4

Brakes

The only aspect of RV performance I have found to be poor is the braking. I had all RV4 gear in my Tailwind, and in all the RV's I have flown they are the same.

Having said that I guess a 4 could be provoked into going onto its nose with heavy braking with the tail up, or not in the 3 point attitude.

I can squat 300lbs so have exerted a lot of pressure on the brakes on occasions. Once I bent the brake levers on a KIS, trying to get some braking out of it. The owner never told me that the brakes had air in the system before he asked me to taxi it???

But, weakish brakes are a good thing from the not nosing over point of view. More likely you would go over in a rut or something and for this to happen you would be having a very bad day in the office!!

The reason why I chimed in is because the way this thread was going it sounded like there was a real problem with 4's ending upside down. I am not saying its impossible but as I said the least of my worries in a 4..... the 9 on grass thats a different story.

Eject the canopy

The RV-4 canopy is designed to be ejected is it comes open in flight. If you find yourself in a situation requiring an off airport landing you can eject the canopy. I have talked to numerous people that forgot to latch the canopy and had it depart the aircraft. If you do eject it don't let your hand get caught on the handle. The canopy departs instantaneously. The aircraft flies ok without the canopy but it sure makes you eyes water. I have yet to find anyone who forgot to latch it twice ( myself included ).

Amen Brother!

The RV-4 canopy is designed to be ejected is it comes open in flight. If you find yourself in a situation requiring an off airport landing you can eject the canopy. I have talked to numerous people that forgot to latch the canopy and had it depart the aircraft. If you do eject it don't let your hand get caught on the handle. The canopy departs instantaneously. The aircraft flies ok without the canopy but it sure makes you eyes water. I have yet to find anyone who forgot to latch it twice ( myself included ).

Install the canopy as per Vans plans and IT WILL SEPARATE FROM YOUR AIRCRAFT PRONTO ZIPPO GONE ADIOS AMEGO!!!! I have first hand experience. Explosive bolts are NOT necessary. Indeed, get your hand out of the way & have your eyes squinted because you are going to experience an immediate environmental change. I could be wrong; but my experience seemed like it took approximately 0.00002 nano microseconds (is there such a time measurement??:D) for canopy to depart & completely clear the aircraft. Getting the canopy OFF my flying -4 is now the LEAST of my concerns.

Cheers & wishing everyone safe & happy flying,

Only problem with the ejecting canopy theory is that in many rollovers, the pilot doesn't know for sure that the plane is gonna nose over until well into the ground rollout, then there is not enough airflow over the fuselage to rip the canopy off, and at that point the pilot probably already is preoccupied with other issues.

Only problem with the ejecting canopy theory is that in many rollovers, the pilot doesn't know for sure that the plane is gonna nose over until well into the ground rollout, then there is not enough airflow over the fuselage to rip the canopy off, and at that point the pilot probably already is preoccupied with other issues.

My point exactly.. This is where having another option besides soft rivets that allow the canopy to exit IN flight.

Seems like one must be disciplined (somehow) to mitigate the risk of being alone and upside-down. I guess reduce the fun factor by deciding to flight plan along populated routes to be able to land on a road, or in a built-up area dodging the hazards as best as possible. Must be able and trained to get the ELT and EPIRB working in the air, and hope they still function after the abrupt stop. Dang, what about a 12 with the built-in barbque?:eek: I fly a RANS S-19 with gas in the wings behind the spare and have been told the canopy will be a challenge to open on short final due to airflow and provides structure to absorb the impact. After that the locals need to be running in your direction. Lastly, and sad to say, a Cherokee went over in the local shoreline shallows and they couldn't get the doors open laying in the mud. Perhaps, if one can swim or float, its best to ditch farther out to have clearance for the canopy to open.

Simple thoughts

Not an expert by any means, but for the most part if you read a lot of airducts posts and then see his replies he makes to comments (if any), it appears as though he is in the decision matrix on whether or not to build an RV4. So I think on the matter of rollovers, there are some very simple yet overlooked solutions.
1. Don't purchase or build an RV4 - this is perhaps the easiest solution to preventing RV4 rollovers altogether, by not flying one.
2. If you must own one, don't rollover - again, it seems simple, and it actually is. Sacrifice on the landing to prevent a rollover.
3. Make sure the ELT is where you can reach it, and activate it. A back-up to this is a PLBor even a hand held radio. This makes sure that no matter where you land, help will be along shortly.
4. If your fear is fire, get a good system (hand pull, cylinder, whatever floats your boat).
5. If your fear is being trapped in by the plexiglass/lexan, keep something that can break, puncture, or structurally weaken it. A good .357 and a ballpeen hammer work nicely and I have extracted many pilots from downed aircraft on CSAR missions with less (a pathetic 9mm and an E-tool).
See the utter simplicity of the logic? No special contraptions needed and no complex procedures. If all else fails, just refer back to item number one.
Yes...I know the shooting gallery may open up on this posting, but hey, I am a simple redneck from the southeast who just happens to be transplanted to Kalifornia, I wouln't take advice from me either.

My point exactly.. This is where having another option besides soft rivets that allow the canopy to exit IN flight.

Well, I will argue it does not take much. I was on the ground on take off roll. I WAS NOT FLYING!! I did have WOT & was doing about 40 mph. The canopy DEPARTED FROM THE PLANE!!! I am just telling you what happened to me in my RV-4. I shut down the take off, unstrapped, stood up in the seat, turned around, saw my canopy about a hundred yards back & started screaming a bunch of expletives!!!

Last edited:
evac

Evac on RV flip:

Canopy:
Firearm= simple and effective, (fuel leaking makes firearm an EVAC no go)

Large knife= Recommend US military M9 bayonet (light; strong; back side fine saw that would work cutting aluminum; dig; penetrate hard or rocky soil; stab canopy and aluminum; build tool for shelter; lash to stick for a speer to gain food; defense from predators; cut green material to put on your rescue fire to make smoke; dig trench to route rain water around your sleep area; razor to shave so you look good at rescue :) ;can opener to open your canned survival food to eat until rescue; etc...)

Carry both if you can. Good investment for safety on two levels.

Dual purpose gear for a remote landing as EVAC equipment then survival.

Remember, not a lot of swinging room in a -4.

Firearm Evacuation technique

What is the technique that you would use a firearm to evac through a RV canopy? I would think that a single shot would create an opening but pretty small. I have shot through a car windshield in training and the 9mm hole was about 9mm.... Maybe a "connect the dots" approach would work better. I like the idea of the M-9 bayonet and have one needing a mission.

Thanks,
John

I have shot through a car windshield in training and the 9mm hole was about 9mm.... Maybe a "connect the dots" approach would work better. .

Thanks,
John

I'm sure if you got something like a short-barreled Saiga with a 20 round drum you could probably daylight the whole side of the fuselage. Or maybe a Kel-Tec KSG :)

What is the technique that you would use a firearm to evac through a RV canopy? I would think that a single shot would create an opening but pretty small. I have shot through a car windshield in training and the 9mm hole was about 9mm.... Maybe a "connect the dots" approach would work better. I like the idea of the M-9 bayonet and have one needing a mission.

Once at least a single hole is blown thru the plexiglass, enlarging that hole will be a much easier task to perform... especially when you're upside down, all cramped up into a small uncomfortable place, maybe also injured and probably also on the verge of panicking with claustrophobia and fear of catching on fire. Plexiglas is pretty strong and would be pretty tough to get that first hole started when your movement is so constricted.

I like the "connect the dots" idea too... also the drum-fed SBS Saiga 12 :p

If you're trapped in the cockpit with the canopy pressing against the ground and the wings blocking part of the perimeter view, how do you ensure that you're not going to hit someone when you fire that gun?

Also you probably don't want to be punching holes in your otherwise perhaps reusable fuel tanks, even if they're empty, which they might not be.

Dave

RV4 Rollover Escape Methods

Everybody knows all you need is a battery powered drill with regular drill bit as an escape tool. When you flip over start drilling holes. The canopy will crack and split at every hole you drill. At least that's the way it works when you are installing the canopy.:D

Everybody knows all you need is a battery powered drill with regular drill bit as an escape tool. When you flip over start drilling holes. The canopy will crack and split at every hole you drill. At least that's the way it works when you are installing the canopy.:D

Sounds like first hand knowledge to me? Very funny.

ROFL

David...I first have to say since I have a knack for stating the obvious....if you are worried that there are people nearby that might be hit by errant bullets (since you guys all liked my comedic approach) and those people are there after your large clearing turn made using the dirt snow angel method, just yell HELP at the top of your lungs. If they are unwilling to render assistance (the reason you have to destroy your canopy in addition to all of the other destroyed parts)....then don't worry.
Airduct...nice to hear from you finally, lol. Try igniting flames sometime using gasoline and a handgun. If all of this comic relief still has you scratching your head....go back to rule #1 again and find another airframe, maybe one with a bomber hatch. Or an R2D2 unit to flip you. Hey, I wonder if there is an R2D2 STC for my Cessna.....
By the way, the Saiga idea has a nice Expendables feel to it. Does Atchisson still make shotguns?

Flipped RV EVAC

Actually jlisler, above, makes a point with Merit. His idea of a battery powered drill could be one of the hand held lithium types that is light. An option that is simple and would likely work.

I like the efficiency of stuff that do multiple things. A small, light, lithium hand screw gun has been used on my RV an entire condition inspection, on one charge. I carry it in my plane to remove the cowl or any needed panel. I will add a drill bit with a driver attachment in case a crowd is standing around watching.

Personally, my EVAC plan is to consider the backstop, make many holes in my RV canopy with my gun, ASAP, then punch out the RV canopy and EVAC. Quick and simple, although always good having a plan B.

I have seen flipped planes that begin leaking fuel slowly upon being flipped.

Safety Note: A bullet hitting ground can make sparks. If fuel has leaked for much time, a firearm is risky. At that point I will wish I had that drill :)

Last edited:
There I was, flat on my back...

Know anyone who has rolled it over and escaped?

Having spent 1500 hours in my RV4 and another 1000 in my HR2 over the past 25 years, trust me the thought has crossed my mind.

Way back in the early 90's during my RV4 construction (before pre-punch, VAF or Forum chat), I witnessed an RV3 forced landing following an engine failure on takeoff. He did a great job, three point full stall touchdown in a plowed bean field followed rather promptly by a flip-over. The force nearly buried the canopy between the furrows rendering the hapless pilot "a captive audience". Had he possessed a .357 Magnum, Axe or blowtorch, none would have mattered. It was the five of us flipping it over and extricating him that saved the day.
I also watched my wing man force land his RV4 in a field after an oil line failed and his engine seized, 2 miles from an airport after a 10 mile glide. He wheels landed it on a narrow furrow road between soybean fields, stayed upright, climbed out and stood there waving at me. I marked his position, flew home, grabbed my truck, trailer and tools and headed to the site to dismantle and recover the 4.

Similarly I have watched another RV (A model)flip over after standing on the brakes and breaking off the nosewheel at a short strip. I was able to extricate the pilot by myself using my trusty Smith and Wesson 911 Tool I carry with me. I penetrated and sawed the canopy in two in less than 60 seconds and drug him out alongside the roll bar with about 8" of clearance. A "person of size" would still be there. Be advised, to perform the rescue requires you to go under the wing with minimal room to move around. It's dark, even in daytime and hazardous, fuel is right above you dripping out of the tanks. Time is critical. Wear gloves if you have any, shards of plexiglass go everywhere while sawing.

I've also chatted with a MI RV4 pilot who ditched his RV4 in Lake Michigan after an engine failure. He popped his canopy release prior to splashdown and had it fully open and unstrapped/outside in 5 seconds. It actually floated nose down for several minutes, long enough for a ski boat to pull alongside for the rescue.

My advice to survive a rollover is to try to avoid it beforehand and to plan your forced landing accordingly. If you limit your exposure to low altitude (takeoff/landing) and consider roads or waterways primarily instead of plowed fields, urban sprawl, I believe your survival chances increase and rollover decrease. I have landed my RV4 and HR2 on dirt roads with ample wing clearance. (most County roads have a 30' right of way). If that option even presents itself.

Practice makes perfect. In the F16 we practiced glides as a matter of currency, mandatory. I highly recommend it in your RV for many reasons. Carry a survival tool and have a plan.

V/R
Smokey
Dues gladly paid in Iraq...
Gladly paid to DR anyway...

Smith and Wesson 911 tool

Last edited:
It's cause I love you, honey

Really.

This is all about you and your safety, dear.

The knife, the e-tool, and the gun are all "Safety Devices."

(Don't know if I could say any of the above with a straight face; she knows me pretty well...)

Cordless Recip Saw

Small manual drill to start a hole and a Black and Decker Airplane Wrecker// cordless recip saw.....Now were talking. If were going to cut then lets get after it....However, for those who must carry their favorite 'hand cannon' and decide to start blasting away, then remember, save the last one for you, in case of ignition...just like the WWI aviators, who had no chutes and got lit up at altitude.:eek: Say, this is one for the Mythbusters, anyone want to volunteer their plane?:D

I am a bit late to this thread. In 1997 I had an engine failure with my RV4 and ended up in a soybean field. It was early in the year and the plants were small and I landed with the rows. The soil was relatively soft and when I touched down/hit, the tail came up pretty good. I had a guy in the back and I know that that was the only reason that the plane did not go all the way over. Perhaps if the guy had not been in the back our final vertical speed might not have been as high. There was a lot to think about, which field, power lines, etc, and not a lot of time. Anyways, I flew over a couple of pretty good roads mainly because my training had been focused on fields, we were taught that roads are bad, due to power lines, cars etc. That is ****, I will take a road over a field anytime and when I am on cross country flights I rarely go where there are no roads.
After that incident, the engine was toast but there was no airframe damage, I made sure to carry a break out tool with me. Here is my current model. It is a modified brick chisel that you can purchase from Home Depot. I grinded the end off and made the "saw" notches. Note the rather large hand protector on the tool. Make a big X scratch in the canopy and then reverse the tool and use the blunt end to hit the center of the X, the canopy will break.
img1256mj.jpg
[/URL]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

A tool is only good if you, and/or, your passenger can get to it. Mine is mounted in a hole in the cabin floor between myself and the passenger. It is held in place with a small bungee cord and I can reach back and get it with my right arm, while strapped in.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I also carry a rather large hunting knife in the front cockpit on the left side. It has some nice big serrations on the blade as well. It is securely mounted in a position close to me on my left side.

Early in my flying days I was speaking with an older pilot about fire extinguishers and he said that you will probably never use one on your own plane but there is a really good chance that you will use one, on the ground, with another aircraft. This makes me appreciate the knife that Smokey carries with him all the time.

Last edited:
+1 on the fire extinguisher!
I had a wet start on a Cessna, the hangar neighbor came right to me with his extinguisher!
He had his out before I could get my own extinguisher!
I bought him a new one pronto!:D

If one were to back out of the forums and go to "Articles" and then scroll down to "The Day The Imitutor fell from the Sky", there is a picture of how small was the area available to my daughter and her instructor to egress from our RV-6.
As the picture was taken while the airplane was still inverted, one could also see how the airplane rests when inverted.
I had installed a military-surplus canopy chopper under the left-side canopy rail, immediately aft of the FS-4 bulkhead.
While hanging inverted from their harnesses in instant darkness caused by sinking into the ground, my daughter removed the chopper from its bracket, passed it to the instructor and he proceeded to chop their way out.
That thin plexiglas is surprising tough and also absorbs a lot of the energy from the chopper by flexing away from the blow.
He reported that there was virtually no room to build up any kinetic energy with the chopper, it was mostly a function of its mass that did the trick.
Unfortunately but understandably, he dropped it before egressing and it was never seen again.
But the Imitutor( now resurrected as The Dog Ship with minor dents everywhere and so many canopy skirt leaks that it shrieks its way through the sky while sucking daughters' ( yes:plural) long hair out the gaps to distract the wingmen) carries a replacement chopper, same model, the kind supplied with every jet trainer and service aircraft from the F-84 at least as far as the F-104.
Oh: and the plane was barely moving when it flipped, had just enough energy to go over, doesn't take much, as Tom intimated above.

If one were to back out of the forums and go to "Articles" and then scroll down to "The Day The Imitutor fell from the Sky", there is a picture of how small was the area available to my daughter and her instructor to egress from our RV-6.
As the picture was taken while the airplane was still inverted, one could also see how the airplane rests when inverted.
I had installed a military-surplus canopy chopper under the left-side canopy rail, immediately aft of the FS-4 bulkhead.
While hanging inverted from their harnesses in instant darkness caused by sinking into the ground, my daughter removed the chopper from its bracket, passed it to the instructor and he proceeded to chop their way out.
That thin plexiglas is surprising tough and also absorbs a lot of the energy from the chopper by flexing away from the blow.
He reported that there was virtually no room to build up any kinetic energy with the chopper, it was mostly a function of its mass that did the trick.
Unfortunately but understandably, he dropped it before egressing and it was never seen again.
But the Imitutor( now resurrected as The Dog Ship with minor dents everywhere and so many canopy skirt leaks that it shrieks its way through the sky while sucking daughters' ( yes:plural) long hair out the gaps to distract the wingmen) carries a replacement chopper, same model, the kind supplied with every jet trainer and service aircraft from the F-84 at least as far as the F-104.
Oh: and the plane was barely moving when it flipped, had just enough energy to go over, doesn't take much, as Tom intimated above.

...and to think that I want my tail wheel training in Dog Ship!

Seriously, yesterday I took a reasonably massive crescent wrench, sharpened the jaw tips, bottom and ground off a bit of the top where the adjuster screw protrudes. This gives me four sharp surfaces to punch my way out, plus the jaws can be adjusted to snap the sharp edges of the plexi. Easy to grip and the mass is concentrated at the right spot. It's easy to use two hands in a punching motion, or to swing it like a hammer. The hole in the handle allows a lanyard to be attached if desired.

Better yet, it doubles as a wrench. I mounted it in a conspicuous location, accessible to the pilot and pax and secured with tie down straps. It looks odd to have a large wrench mounted in the aircraft, but it should work. I need some plexi to practice on, however.

The picture below is not the actual wrench I used, but you can see how it might be modified (e.g sharpen the pointy bits)

507467_crescent_wrench.jpg

If one were to back out of the forums and go to "Articles" and then scroll down to "The Day The Imitutor fell from the Sky", there is a picture of how small was the area available to my daughter and her instructor to egress from our RV-6...
Someone has to say it... Welcome to VAF, Scott! :p

RV4 rollover escape methods

How about some type of release mechanism on the top or bottom of the pilot seat back that would allow the pilots upper body to go back under the rollover structure and give more room to maneuver? Not sure if this would work while inverted. Something to ponder on.

Dwight, that was covered earlier in the thread. I believe it has merit. There may be considerably more room in the back seat or baggage area as long as the vertical fin isn't damaged too badly.

Also, some may want to consider an aqueous foam fire extinguisher. You can spray it all over yourself, or on your legs, etc. if fire is intruding. Not gonna help much if your trapped in a big fire, but could be useful in the air if you've got a panel fire or a hole in the firewall.

The foam is safe and non-corrosive. Much easier to clean up than corrosive dry chemical extinguishers, and stays put, unlike Halon, which has its own hazards in an enclosed space.

Their drawback is that they do freeze below 30F.

You can get them at Lowe's or Home Depot, or from us.

I am building a -4 and I have been thinking about this really hard. I have looked at installing explosive bolts and also the explosive Actuators under the canopy rail that could be used to "blow" the canopy off quickly in an emergency. I don't even know where I could get such hardware and I have been looking into other options.

Pacific Scientific, located in Hollister, California (about 50 miles sourth of San Jose, California) used to make explosive bolds for military aircraft.

Back