What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Vinyl cutter: Which one to get?

loopfuzz

Well Known Member
I painted my RV a base metallic color. And have been looking at different vinyl cutters. I'm on a Mac but could use a pc as it looks like most of these cutters are made for pc.

I've been planning on using cut tape or knifeless tape for bigger patterns and stripes. like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWqIBnr-1yg

I used a Stika on my Mac for years...I think the better machine these days (and cheaper) is the Silhouette. Software for both is compatible with Mac or PC.

My local boat/truck/car wrapper in town has a HUGE cutter that he will cut any vinyl you need for a small charge...

Just a thought

I've got a Silhouette and it's worked well for me, both with vinyl and paint masks. It only takes 12" wide material so consider whether what you want to do is within it's capability. In theory it can do unlimited length. The longest thing I've done is the Experimental sign on the baggage bulkhead. If you're thinking of doing fuselage-length stripes, I'd suggest farming it out. Weeding the result and applying the transfer tape may require a work surface as long as the stripe.

We purchased a Silhouette Cameo 4 for general hobby work plus future Aircraft vinyl. I see no reason for it to not be able to do the planned artwork for the plane. The only limit is the 12" width but bigger machines are of course more expensive. I have the impression that the Silhouette is more capable than the Cricut machine with the downside of being somewhat less user friendly but that is not from first hand experience with the Cricut, only conversations.

Interestingly, the two artwork automation softwares we have (Silhouette and Bernina Embroidery) are not the best user experiences which is a pain for me since my wife is not a computer expert. The pair do not help with her confidence on computers even though the troubles are rarely her fault.

It is getting plenty of practice. Similar to the Navy.... seems that if it doesn't move it gets vinyl art on it. :)

Back