What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dynon and Advanced Flight Systems Oshkosh 2016 Product News

Dynon

Well Known Member
Advertiser
In addition to our new SkyView HDX system, we have updates to our products across the SkyView and AF-5000 series lines:

• $500 Price Reduction on SkyView Touch, SkyView Classic, and AF-5000 Series: Mapping Now Included
  • New Advanced Remote Audio Panel with Dimensional Sound and Bluetooth Music Streaming
  • Upcoming SkyView v15 Software Preview
  • Advanced Flight Systems AF-5000 Series Graphics Updates

$500 price decrease for SkyView Touch, Classic, AF-5000 Series systems

map-pricing-image-web.png

Effective Monday, July 25 2016, all SkyView Touch, SkyView Classic, and AF-5000 series displays now include navigation mapping capabilities. This equals a savings of $500 per system compared to previous pricing, where the mapping software was an additional separate $500 purchase.

New Advanced Remote Audio Panel with Dimensional Sound and Bluetooth Music Streaming

Advanced Flight Systems announces a remote audio panel with class-leading features. Manufactured by PS Engineering for AFS, the new AF-PDA360EX-R features IntelliAudio? True Dimensional Sound to let you hear multiple radios simultaneously - spatially separated in your headset.

afs-psengineering-image-web.png

Enhanced Bluetooth? provides both music streaming capability and connection to your phone. Other features include legendary 4-place hi-fi stereo IntelliVox? intercom with Soft Mute, two stereo music inputs, split mode, and multiple other inputs. The AF-PDA360EX-R is compatible with the AF-5000 series. It is expected to be available Q3 2016 at a list price of $1450.

Dynon Previews SkyView Software Version 15

Dynon?s upcoming SkyView Software Version 15 contains a variety of new features to enhance the SkyView flying experience, including:

• Extended Runways on Map
  • Highway in the Sky (HITS)
  • Airport Signposts in Synthetic Vision
  • Maintenance Logging
  • Weight and Balance Calculator
  • VNAV from SkyView?s flight plan to your destination airport, arriving either above the airport or right at the runway itself.
  • Airspace proximity notification. This includes airspace you are in, upcoming airspace along your flight path, and those that are above and below you.

SVv15_Extended_RWYs.PNG

Extended Runways on Map

SVv15_HITS.PNG

Highway in the Sky (HITS) & Airport Signposts in Synthetic Vision

SVv15_Maint_Log.PNG

Maintenance Log

SVv15_W_B.PNG

Weight and Balance Calculator

SkyView Software v15?s new features will be available as a free upgrade for SkyView Classic and SkyView Touch Summer-Fall 2016. SkyView HDX will ship with all v15 features when it is released.

Advanced Flight Systems AF-5000 Series Graphics Updates

AF-5000_updated_gfx-web.png

The upcoming Advanced Flight Systems AF-5000 software release features improved display graphics, including updated colors for contrast and legibility, redesigned VSI and roll indicators, crisper fonts, and reduced clutter.

Looking forward to having runway extensions, airspace proximity and HITS on my SkyView display. :cool:

Looking forward to having runway extensions, airspace proximity and HITS on my SkyView display. :cool:

they're catching up to what Garmin has offered for the past few years, i was hoping to see some new features that will put the competition on their heels, at least the skyview finally has HITS

they're catching up to what Garmin has offered for the past few years, i was hoping to see some new features that will put the competition on their heels, at least the skyview finally has HITS
Not to mention that I have had all these for a number of years on my GRT

Do you guys use HITS? Ive never flown with it. Personally, i dont see the utility. I already have the magenta line.

I am ALL about decluttering. We already know there is enough *stuff* to completely clutter your screen, let alone fill up your hangar and garage with stuff. In some ways, it is *harder* to clean things up, ala, what Apple used to be known for. ;)

i'm on the fence about it being as useful as some indicate, i do not like how Garmin does not draw the HITS vertically on anything other than an approach

if you dial in a VS that would put you into terrain, you'd think the HITS showing that would be helpful for example, i'd like to hear the reasons why they don't, and i'd like to hear if Dynon followed Garmin and GRT on this and only show HITS for the altitude-pre-select and course, unless on an approach

This is an excellent update, but you're right--I'm really hoping it involves sharing ADS-B weather and traffic data to ForeFlight.

with all this glass on the panel, how is an iPad still providing functionality in such a small cockpit? this baffles me, i use foreflight on the ground before getting in plane, after i get in the plane the iPad is stowed

i commute twice a week, IFR, VFR, you name it- never need foreflight and have been all but disappointed with ADS-B weather compared to XM

I fly IFR regularly and recently added Foreflight on an ipad mini back to the cockpit. I have the flightcharts on the AFS and the Garmin GTN and things worked well - until a recent recurrency. One of the things cockpit charts cant do is show notams and revisions to charts. In this case, several approach plates for my local airport changed the missed approach climb altitude. Neither the AFS nor GTN indicated this information. It was only then that the best way to have CURRENT data, is to have something sync'd the moment before I depart. The AFS and GTN don't have any facility to have that kind of daily update. So now they are my backup chart tool - primary is back to the foreflight app.

with all this glass on the panel, how is an iPad still providing functionality in such a small cockpit? this baffles me, i use foreflight on the ground before getting in plane, after i get in the plane the iPad is stowed

i commute twice a week, IFR, VFR, you name it- never need foreflight and have been all but disappointed with ADS-B weather compared to XM

Backseater! It would be great to have foreflight get the weather and traffic from my AFS and GDU375. The Attitude indicator is nice, but weather and traffic would be more useful for my GIB.

Backseater! It would be great to have foreflight get the weather and traffic from my AFS and GDU375. The Attitude indicator is nice, but weather and traffic would be more useful for my GIB.

great point, i do recall flying my RV4 that the options for the backseat were so limited

No, I looked at that. The SE does not offer any interface with a navigator. It is even less capable than the legacy D10/D180. The SE system is not for me.

I too have a G3X Touch, and agree that once I get in the plane the iPad gets stowed. My reason for requiring the ADS-B (GDL 39 in my plane) to talk to the iPad is emergency backup. If I have a comple electrical failure (again), I'll have the G5 with a 4 hr backup battery and my GDL 39 running on its backup battery. I'll have attitude, airspeed, altitude, track, onboard weather and the ability to navigate to a clear spot with the iPad.

No, I looked at that. The SE does not offer any interface with a navigator. It is even less capable than the legacy D10/D180. The SE system is not for me.

SE can show an HSI and fly autopilot guidance from an external NMEA source (IE, an aviation portable). But it does not connect to IFR navigators. As you said, it doesn't have perfect overlap with the D10/D100 series, but it has other capabilities that the legacy products don't have, like ADS-B Out, 912 iS support, the larger screen size option, six-pack and COM radio.

For those who do not desire the mapping software, is there an "actual" price reduction off the base model?

The $500 system price reduction is via inclusion of the map with the system, so the strict answer to your question is no. But practically speaking, almost everyone buys the map, but the process of buying and activating it has been a pain point for years that we wanted to remove. So for almost everyone that has bought SkyView Classic or Touch, the answer is yes. SkyView SE is our even lower cost option that doesn't have mapping capabilities at all.

So if I purchased two Skyviews touch without the MAP last winter, can I receive the MAP free now?

Back