What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Maryland RV-4 guru needed

There is a RV 4 listed in trade a plane located I believe in Maryland. It has P51 markings polished aluminum except for the cowl. Anyone familar with this plane or can suggest a good RV inspector from the area?

Never mind

This -4 is located at KCBE and is a pure basket case. I looked at it a couple months ago after the owner/builder died and the least I can say is; I was horrified.

The cowling, I believe, came off of a Mooney and the engine is a 200 hp something. Don't remember exactly, other than there was a prop strike within phase 1, which I believe hasn't been completed. Workmanship/construction is terrible.

For $10K, I'd but it for engine and parts. But I sure wouldn't consider lifting it off the ground.

Rv4

Thanks! You just saved me a thousand mile round trip. The guy on the other end of the phone was definately a used car salesman. Got a bad vibe from him after a couple of minutes.

My pleasure. Fortunately for me, it's location isn't too far from me so I didn't have to travel too far.

Price?

Just out of curiosity, did you get the asking price?

Thanks! You just saved me a thousand mile round trip. The guy on the other end of the phone was definately a used car salesman. Got a bad vibe from him after a couple of minutes.

Asking price revealed.

Being a newbie to the market i was unsure what the price would be for this ship. I first mentioned 20k and he laughed. I told him my budget was between that and 30k for a fixer upper and he said he'd sell it for 30k in a second. Kept on pushing me for a pre inspection deposit. He is a corporate jet salesman so I don't think he even knows what he has.

Buying a flying RV

From the photos on Trade-A-Plane, that is the worst example of an RV I have ever seen.

Nothing wrong with being "new to the market", but if you don't have a good background in experimental aircraft and construction techniques then make sure you find a knowledgeable inspector before you get into something that you'll regret. And never place a deposit before your inspection, especially if the RV looks like it needs some work.

A decent RV-4 will sell for no less than just under $40K. In the $30K range you could expect serious problems, and you'd better have the cash or expertise to fix them.

I haven't seen this RV-4 myself, and I'm not experienced enough to place a value on it. Even if you can get this one cheap, it will probably cost you more in cash and headaches than you want.

It is generally easy to find a knowledgeable inspector by advertising on this forum.

Jim
RV-4 N444JT
RV-8 N37PK

RV-4

Thanks for the advice. I have a new friend (Squeek) (RV8 current ship) from Jasper Indiana who will be looking out for me and hopefully stop me from doing something stupid. I'm now leaning to the idea of completing someone's project.

Back