What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Folding Bikes in Planes

A unicycle fits too, is lighter, doesn't require folding, and gets more looks than the RV when you ride away on it. :)

the visual.....

The visual of someone coasting down a hill on a unicycle...... I know they don't have clutches...... Does this involve a wig and a red foam nose? The folding bikes are really cool and a bit pricy it seems. Still looking for a really small bike to fit in the back of my -3...

The visual of someone coasting down a hill on a unicycle...... I know they don't have clutches...... Does this involve a wig and a red foam nose? QUOTE]

Brian,

No wig or red nose involved, but there are a small number of guys riding unicycles on serious mountain trails around here. Takes big lungs, legs and cajones.

Jim Berry
RV-10

The visual of someone coasting down a hill on a unicycle...... I know they don't have clutches...... Does this involve a wig and a red foam nose? QUOTE]

Brian,

No wig or red nose involved, but there are a small number of guys riding unicycles on serious mountain trails around here. Takes big lungs, legs and cajones.

Jim Berry
RV-10

Jim, that is interesting because after doing much bike riding, you might as well have them removed!

Back on topic, I have ridden the Citizen Gotham 2. It is really not a bad bike considering it's size and the ability to stuff it in about anywhere. I know there are more expensive bikes that fold, but for the money, the Citizen is a pretty good choice.

fits an -8

2m2vwn5.jpg

I saw a post a while back about a Citizens Tokyo folding bike, we were told you could put two in the back of an RV7 and still have room for 42 lbs of baggage.

I bought one and it fits beautiful in the RV7. It has 16 inch wheels and sets up in about 15 seconds, comes with 7 speed derailer. We will buy another one this fall after we get our 1 st phase done.

Nice thing is with the deluxe seat it only cost 199.00 and is a blast to ride

Smilin' Jack

Can you confirm what you have is the "Tokyo"? The website says the Tokyo is 6 speed and $169. I ask because if two "Miami's" fit in an RV7 that would be great as I prefer the larger wheels.

Bevan

I tried a while back to convince Citizen to do a 16" alloy "RV" model. Or, a very flat folding 20". I don't think I could get a second 20" in the back of the 6 slider. They indicated they were considering it (a 16" alloy), but nothing so far. I teased them with the number or RV's flying.
Hit 'em up!

I will add my 2 cents to this thread. I purchased (2) Xootr Swifts a year ago and I believe they are manufactured in Scranton, PA. Here are some details and I would recommend a visit to the xootr website as I am not able to post a pic of them. I fly an RV9A wtih a slider canopy. Each bike weighs 25 pounds and the bikes will hold up to 260lbs of people. They cost about $750 each and come with 8 gears and 20 inch tires. When I fly with them I remove the front tire and handle bar stem and have plenty of wiggle room in the baggage area. Some of the reasons I purchased them are: I weigh 230lbs and needed a bike that would not break under my weight:) The geometry of the bike is unique in that it is set up like a road bike for angles and tire distance from front wheel to back. I wanted 20 inch tires too. I tried out a bike friday Ticket and did not like the 16 inch wheel, the way it folded up and the cost at nearly 2K for each bike was absurd. I don't know how it will fit with a tip up canopy, but with the sider it is cake. PS When Cindy and I ride these bikes people just think they look cool. Always fun! Good luck and hope this helps a bit.

Looked at Citizen bikes, all said height range of 5'0"-6'0", I am a long legged 6'2", and every bike I have tried was to small. Does anyone know of any other than custom Bike Friday that are good for tall folks?

I think that the Xootr Swift is worth looking into. I stand 6'1" and weigh 230lb. I may not be as long legged as you, but the bike is real comfortable.

Looked at Citizen bikes, all said height range of 5'0"-6'0", I am a long legged 6'2", and every bike I have tried was to small. Does anyone know of any other than custom Bike Friday that are good for tall folks?

My wife and I ride tikits, and we're 5;10" and 5'9", respectively. There is definitely range left in both the stem and seat post, so you could try it and see.

The Dahon bikes also have some rather long seat tubes available, so you could try those as well.

I bought a Brompton for my -9A. I could place four of them in the baggage area.
Not sure if it enters in the baggage area of the -4 I am building. Maybe it will go in the pax seat.

Yes, I have the Toyko model, i might have been wrong on the number of gears, but i did order the optional seat, the entire invoice including shipping was 212.00
The only issue was that when we first rode the bike the habdle bar was not in alignment with the front tire it was off a couple of degrees. I called customer service and the tech told how to fix it in about 5 seconds. Nice folks..
A lot less expensive than the Dahon bikes and the reviews on the citizen bikes are good.
Smilin' Jack

Brompton

See my comments on the Brompton in the bikes for RV10 thread.
As an aside on many occasions I have exceeded 30+ mph down hill and they handle well.
They are just fantastic bikes.

Like flying RV's you don't want to go back to anything else, same with a Brompton no other folding bike matches them.

Just my2p worth.
Rob

Folding bike

If you like a full size wheels, take a look at sandsmachine.com.

Takes only a few minutes to reassemble but then you have a "real" bike.

Why not strap a full size to the outside, like the canoes they strap to floatplanes up north......;)

Bob Bogash
RV-12
N737G

Brompton

That's just it Bromptons ride like a full size or quote "Real Bike" with the added convenience of a folder, the wheel spacing is the same as a full size bike.

Happy flying and cycling.
Rob

I have been looking at the motopod, with that you could just lay in your regular bicycle. Not sure if I will do it, but I have installed the hard points during construction.

At 6 ft. 2 you will need to change out the seat post on whatever bike you ride.
Not hard to do and they are available. I use two Citizen 20 inch wheel folders in the back of the 9A.
After having to walk miles and miles back to the airport at Ramona... I bring a bike now.

if anyone is interested, newegg.com has a sale on folding bikes right now: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...5-_-EMC-020115-Index-_-index-_-9SIA1M10HC2384

These bikes are about 35-36 lbs (a bit heavy by folding bike standards) Though you can strip off the fenders and other necessary parts to get a bit of weight reduction .
If you are willing to spend about twice as much you can get one in the 27 lb weight range. If you are willing to spend a lot more you cen get teh weight down to the low 20's.

BTW, numerous other sellers (amazon being one) sell the same bike for the same price, not on sale.

These bikes are about 35-36 lbs (a bit heavy by folding bike standards) Though you can strip off the fenders and other necessary parts to get a bit of weight reduction .
If you are willing to spend about twice as much you can get one in the 27 lb weight range. If you are willing to spend a lot more you cen get teh weight down to the low 20's.

If you are willing to spend even more, I can get you on a full size folding bike that weighs 14 lbs. $7-9000 fully tricked out.

If you are willing to spend even more, I can get you on a full size folding bike that weighs 14 lbs. $7-9000 fully tricked out.

Yea, but you can only get two full size folding bikes in an RV-10. The other models require something a bit smaller.
I didn't even mention the class of bike you are talking about because I figure it is likely that only a hard core bike person would be willing to spend that kind of money for a bike.

Hi All,

I have an RV12 and badly wanted to get folding bikes to fit. I did a lot of research on the Internet and phoning people.i talked to Vans about fitting two bike Fridays in an RV 12. Vans thought I was nuts. Bike Friday is a excellent company to deal with they rang me a few times to NZ to help. The problem was ther don't come close to fitting. In the end all my study lead me to the Brompton. They cost big money but the fold is incredible. We place two in the back of the RV12 at 20kg total weight so that leaves 3 kg for personal items. Now I would imagine you would find they would go in any other RV even more easily. They are good bikes to ride. I know a small amount about riding bikes and have done an ironman at 180 km.obviosly they are not a full size bike but they ride well and my wife and I just love the adventures they allow. We have had to get creative to get more luggage in. Less fuel, lost a lot of body weight, take the wheel pants of.

Cheers
Julian 120316

Xootr swift

Has anyone tried to fit a Xootr Swift model in the back of a -6, -7 or -9?

Bruce to answer your question I bought 2 xootr swift folding bikes about 3 years ago. Both bikes fit nicely with room to spare in my slider 9A. You release the front wheel and remove the handle bar, pedals stay on the bikes. Each bike weighs 25 pounds and will handle a 250 pound rider. Yes they hold up great. I am 6'1" and 235 and the bike is designed too the geometry of a full size bike. Price point, weight carrying and bike weight all seem to work well on this bike. It's a good choice.
Koziol

cheapskate

Brompton is the top of the line.... test rode some at Copperstate Fly in.
Loved them, but too spendy for me.
I stripped all the unused weight off my Citizen including front brake assembly. Now the weight is fine and fits the 9A

You can keep all your weight limit and rent a lot of cars for that kind of cash....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1scP9uZP9Y

Even though i have some folding dahons, i have found myself carrying my skateboard around a lot. It is just so much more portable light and convenient. For the less than a mile walk from airport to hamburger, it works great. However, lately, i have been seeing these electric skateboards more frequently. They are expensive but i sure am tempted! :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1scP9uZP9Y

Even though i have some folding dahons, i have found myself carrying my skateboard around a lot. It is just so much more portable light and convenient. For the less than a mile walk from airport to hamburger, it works great. However, lately, i have been seeing these electric skateboards more frequently. They are expensive but i sure am tempted! :D

LOL - you go for it man. I still have my old board in the basement - haven't ridden it since I was 13 and I'd probably kill myself if I tried now really.
Given that my missions will take me to mostly rural places, I think an e-bike is more likely for me. Now a hover-board - that would worthy of offroading!

Last edited:
You can keep all your weight limit and rent a lot of cars for that kind of cash....

True.
But not everyone travels by using big airports with fancy FBO's that have rental cars available.
I find it a lot more fun to visit smaller airports that are usually just a couple to 3 miles from town, and it greatly increases your stopping point options.

LOL - you go for it man. I still have my old board in the basement - haven't ridden it since I was 13 and I'd probably kill myself if I tried now really.
Given that my missions will take me to mostly rural places, I think an e-bike is more likely for me. Now a hover-board - that would worthy of offroading!

I think maybe he is talking about something called a scooter? (a bit bigger wheels than a skate board)

Yes, but by that line of reasoning, none of us should build airplanes. Just buy tickets on the aluminum tube.:)

Exactly Jim. That is why they make different bikes. People spend their money on what they want to. I have an $1200 toilet seat and think I got a bargain. I also have some bike shorts and shoes I have had since the 80's. I guess you can tell where my priorities are! Ha!

We need to get together again next time I am in Denver.

Exactly Jim. That is why they make different bikes. People spend their money on what they want to. I have an $1200 toilet seat and think I got a bargain. I also have some bike shorts and shoes I have had since the 80's. I guess you can tell where my priorities are! Ha!

Rocky but you have an access to a bike which beats all prices discussed here. I saw it :D

Rocky, you got it. What money Vans and Stein haven't taken, I spend on bikes. We are in Tucson till the end of April. Will be relocating the -10 to AVQ in about a week. Come on down if you want to warm up.

Back