What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Suggestions on how to fly with a 1 year old toddler?

loopfuzz

Well Known Member
Wondering who has tried flying with a one year old kid in the RV and if there is any pointers or lessons learned? Any recommended headsets? I'm guessing the kiddo is going to try to take them off while we are flying.

I'd like to try some short trips first around the area. And then work our way up to some longer trips if everything works out good.

Thanks!

I've flown with my 3 year old, not a 1 year old, but here's what I know:
For general hearing protection, you can get "Ems for Bubs" earmuffs. http://earmuffsforkids.com/

I think the best kids headset is a Bose X. All the kids headsets are passive head clamps. The Bose have great noise attenuation, and fit small heads pretty well since they hinge in the middle. You can add a pad for spacing, if needed. My boy and I sat in the hangar and talked to each other on the headset a few times so he got used to them.

I use a car seat, but under 2 and the kid can be a lap passenger. Might help keep things under control if somebody is holding him.

Good luck!

Paul

I wouldn't even try. My daughter is about to turn 2 and I still won't consider it. Once she's able to make it through a movie theater experience, beginning to end, then we'll go flying.

If the child is anything like mine was when she was one years old, I'd recommend handcuffs and some ratchet straps. At that young age, they seem to possess the urge to toggle and push this and that. :)

Seriously though; every child is different and will react differently in that environment. I'd recommend a good child seat installed facing rearward (so he/she can't reach the panel) and see how he /she does initially with some taxiing. That'll give you an idea what lies ahead.

My wife and I were just discussing this over the holiday weekend and agreed that it was not a good idea for our 18 mo old grandson yet.

Thanks for the earmuff link mrblob. That may accelerate the time a little bit since hearing protection was a big part of the discussion.

Our son has been flying with us since before he was born.

We bought a set of Peltor Child headsets and they worked great.

The first year he was in a snuggy.

(Click to enlarge)

As he grew, he was relegated to the baggage compartment:
The+Family+-+Copy.JPG

At around five, he outgrew the baggage compartment and moved up front, along with his car seat.
IMG_3750.JPG

His headsets are RA250 Child's Headset that I sent off to Headsets Inc. and had converted to ANR.

The real trick was finding a booster seat that would fit in the baggage compartment and in the right seat without interfering with the controls.

At five and a half he no longer wants to ride in the booster seat (in the plane) and two extra seat cushions get him high enough to see over the side.

Last edited:
I also use Ems for Bubs. My son flew once in the back seat for the RV-8a when he was 6 months old. He did fine, but I could only see him by reaching back and taking a photo with my phone. I decided that it was beyond my risk/reward tolerance until he is old enough to enjoy it and to get out of the plane somewhat on his own.

He's at 10 months now. In the meantime, he gets to fly in the certified airplanes I have shares in. If it's a family trip, I have help and it makes the risk/reward ratio acceptable for me and my wife. Here he is in April getting his first time in the TB20 on the way to meet Scott and Tanya Card for some BBQ!

i-B9rvfv3-L.jpg

We took my daughter to an air/firework show when she was about 1.5. The fireworks are loud so we put her in a set of shop/shooting ear muffs. She did just great with them. I would suggest going with the wife or someone the first few times. You don't want them freaking out while you are trying to fly. Good to have another set of hands until they are comfortable.

Now THAT is a photo you will cherish forever (and he will also)!
I also use Ems for Bubs. My son flew once in the back seat for the RV-8a when he was 6 months old. He did fine, but I could only see him by reaching back and taking a photo with my phone. I decided that it was beyond my risk/reward tolerance until he is old enough to enjoy it and to get out of the plane somewhat on his own.

He's at 10 months now. In the meantime, he gets to fly in the certified airplanes I have shares in. If it's a family trip, I have help and it makes the risk/reward ratio acceptable for me and my wife. Here he is in April getting his first time in the TB20 on the way to meet Scott and Tanya Card for some BBQ!

i-B9rvfv3-L.jpg

Keep in mind that children under 2 years old often can't properly clear their ears. That is why the switch on the 727 to start the cabin pressure down was often called the baby switch. You could hear them screaming in the cockpit when you started the cabin down.

2-3 seems right..

We took my daughter up when she was 18 months. We used a child-sized passive headset for her and I throttled down for cruise (hard to do in a POS 172, since it's so slow to begin with!). She kept trying to take them off, but then fell asleep and my wife kept them on her. Seems like 2 might be the "right" age to get them started. When they can really begin to enjoy it.

Here's a pic from today, not an RV but a rental Lance with the family. This is the first flight with the hearing protection that is actually made for babies (my wife ordered it not for sure where). She's a little more than 9 months and at 12000 after a takeoff from 1000. We try to use binkies or bottles as well as slower (300fpm) climbs and descents. She wasn't always this happy, but not much different than riding in the Van. She was the only one who got airsick though......
39E4D27E-75F7-4798-B4FC-2222351993B9_zpseqwhhin8.jpg

Decent luck in the back of the RV with the giant muffs piddling with a sic sak to play with.
AC65D52A-E03F-4A55-8566-2436FDA4002B_zpsnbnalsw7.jpg

358217DA-494E-4717-AD21-6DAD56CA6A73_zpsnr2ovzrx.jpg

Just go for it, I've found the carseats fit perfectly with the seatback removed in the 6/7/9's, not sure about the 4/8's.

Thanks for all the pictures, stories, and recommendations. Given me some things to think about. I also ordered some of the small ear muffs to give them a try.

Back