What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

burn marks on cowl near exhaust stacks

dwilson

Well Known Member
I am 4 hours into my fly off time for the RV10. When I pulled the cowl off yesterday I noticed obvious discoloration where the bottom cowl comes close to the exhaust stacks.

Has anyone else had this problem?

My first stab at a fix will likely be a combination of stick on reflective coating on the cowl and a heat shield attached to the exhaust stack.

Any other better ideas?

Thanks,

Vans supplied stick on here too.

Did the entire lower cowl with it, sure makes it easy to wipe up any oil-----luckily I have very little to wipe up:D

Congratulations on your 10

Duane,

Must have missed your first flight announcement. Congratulations!

Ted

Haven't announced first flight yet!

Hi Ted,
I haven't gotten around to putting the first flight out to the world yet. It has been a very hectic past month or two. We moved, finishing the airplane, mandatory continuing education trip to Boston.
I will try to get the official announcement out next week.

Thanks,

My solution

I had a very close condition with the exhaust and cowl on my 6A. Put on the reflective foil as others have advised. DanH, I believe, applied several epoxy coats to the inside surface of the cowl so there was a smooth surface on which to apply the foil. Be sure to seal the perimeter with Hi-Temp RTV so oil cannot wick underneath it.

The other thing I did that no one else has mentioned was to install one of Van's exhaust heat shields to the exhaust at the close condition location. I also riveted a piece of high temp silicone to the heat shield to have a softer, friendlier surface for contact when the engine rocks during start-up and shut-down. There is indeed contact, and this method has addressed the issue so far. The previous condition was blistering the paint. Hope this helps.

Larry Tompkins
544WB -6A
W52 Battle Ground, WA

What material did you use for heat shield

I built a heay shield out of aluminum, but don't know if I should have used stainless steel.
Any thoughts?

If you seal and paint the inside of the cowl you'll have no adhesion problems.

This is 1/16" fiberfrax felt strip under Vans stick-on aluminum foil.

mvjjut.jpg

I did the same thing after Dan told me about the fiberfrax and it totally cured the problem. I have dual mufflers and heat muffs on my 9A and the mufflers are real close to the cowl. I painted the edges with resin to keep the reflective foil from peeling.

Back