What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

O-360 C/S Exhaust popping

13brv3

Well Known Member
Greetings,

I've read a few similar threads, and haven't seen anyone come to a complete solution to this problem (?) yet. I've had two RV-8's with O-360 engines. One had a fixed pitch Sensenich prop, and the current one has a Hartzell blended prop. The fixed pitch plane never had this issue, but my friends C/S equipped RV-8 has always has, and now my C/S equipped plane has it.

The problem is when I close the throttle all the way on final. There is a popcorn like sound from the exhaust, and it just doesn't seem like there ought to be. Originally, I had the idle set way too high (about 900), and it didn't do it. Now, with the idle around 750, it does, but only if I close it all the way.

Today, I was doing climb and descent tests, and tried leaning the mixture during descent. Sure enough, it makes the popping go away, but only when you get very close to idle cutoff. Interesting, but not something I really want to do on short final :eek:

My idle mixture is set to 30-50 rpm increase. The engine runs great otherwise. Anything I can do to make this noise stop?

Thanks,
Rusty (popping in the new year)

Normal? Don't fly with full idle, crack throttle

Well the obvious is don't pull the throttle back to full (750rpm) idle, leave a little power. I always make approaches with slight power. I don't go to full idle until I am into the flair. Now I and fellow RV'ers do make the noise (pop pop) especially in an overhead break when going abruptly to full idle, but than it goes away once the drag is out and partial power is applied.

Reason? My guess because of mixture and lack of air (throttle shut) fuel is not fully burning, valve timing (overlap, duration), ignition timing and open free flow pipes, you are getting the unburnt gas mixing with fresh air in the pipes (outside air can flow up the pipes). Now lean enough with enough heat the mixture re-ignites and goes pop pop pop. Lean mixtures can spontaneously ignite.

That is why you don't want to fly too lean with power, it can cause detonation, a spontaneous uncontrolled ignition of the fuel/air mixture instead of a controlled burn or ignition.

Is there anything wrong? No I don't think so, just with no mufflers and low flt idle as soon as the valve opens unspent fuel igniting in the pipes when the fuel sees the air exhaust pipes. With the throttle full closed you really are starved for air so in essentially you are rich. Cracking the throttle will eliminate the pop pop? That is my story and I am sticking to it. :rolleyes: :p :D

The reason for fixed pitch prop not causing the the pop pop is its spinning faster and is pumping more of what little air you have so the fuel is more "spent" and not likely to "re-ignite" in the pipes. I bet if you leaned while the pops where occurring you would kill the pops, but the best advice is add just a touch of throttle back.

Other theories (for backfires) which is more in the intake:
Too lean
sticking valve
timing off
air leaks in induction
voltage leak cross talk between wires

Last edited:
This is a well known and pretty common phenonemnon with RV's and especially Vetterman exhaust. Larry tells me it's because the exhaust scavenges so well that you're getting some after-firing of unburnt fuel with basically a very rich mixture condition.

Anyway, I wouldn't be too worried about it. It's been out there as long as there has been Vetterman exhausts on RV's...my -6 does the same thing, so as George Suggested, I normally don't close the throttle all the way and that usually works for me....but sometimes it can't be avoided and I come "poppin" down on final!

Cheers,
Stein

RV6, Minneapolis

Thanks for the comments. Everything I had read suggested that this was normal, and essentially unavoidable if you closed the throttle all the way. With the C/S prop, that's not really all that necessary due to the extra drag, but it's necessary when you're doing "glide" speed testing. I wonder how many 911 calls I generated yesterday while doing that :)

(911 operator) "Hello, what is your emergency?."

(Caller) "There's an airplane flying over my house, and the engine keeps backfiring. I think he's going down."

(911 operator) "Calm down sir. Is it a low wing plane, with short fat wings."

(Caller) "Why yes, how did you know."

(911 operator) "We get lots of calls about these. There's no need to worry. It's just an RV with a Vetterman exhaust. This is not an emergency, but the pilot will be cited for closing the throttle too far, and excessive scavenging."

Cheers,
Rusty (trying not to generate any calls today)

Yep, my carbed O-360 CS with a 4 into 1 pipe does this... and it's gotta be due to the exhaust. I've flown and watched/heard this exact same engine when it was installed in a Geronimo Apache with mufflers; no backfiring or popping at all, just nice and quiet on final.

I've noticed that it's not just at idle, even carrying a bit of power on base/final it's still popping. I've tried the leaning technique, and maybe it helps a little... but perhaps I'm not being aggressive enough with it. It's a bit annoying but I guess I just gotsta live with it.

Mine pops too

Just for data points, my engine pops a lot, too, at very low throttle settings.

Aerosport O-360-B1B, Lightspeed Ignition, Airflow Performance FI, Vetterman Crossover 4-into-2 exhaust.

Thanks for the continuing "misery loves company" comments. I made a point to keep the throttle cracked on final today, and managed to avoid the pops.

Just curious, is anyone having this with a fixed pitch prop? I'm thinking the C/S prop is the key, forcing the engine to turn faster than it naturally wants to turn. As I mentioned before, I never had this with my fixed pitch prop on the earlier RV-8.

Rusty

Two observations...

The C/S vs fixed pitch question can be decided easily. I wouldn't try this on approach, but in a decent, power off (and popping, I assume) pull the prop control back and see what happens. Problem is this dosen't do anything for the issue. I know that it is counter intutive, but I think you will find that engines "pop" or backfire in the exhaust when they are lean not overly rich. Comes from the engine missing some when lean and the collected fuel igniting in the exhaust system. This was a common issue in 4 cylinder Porsches. The answer was setting the idle slightly richer.

John Clark
RV8 N18U (not popping ;) )
KSBA

Well I agree and don't I thinks its more complicated?

John Clark said:
The C/S vs fixed pitch question can be decided easily. I wouldn't try this on approach, but in a decent, power off (and popping, I assume) pull the prop control back and see what happens. Problem is this dosen't do anything for the issue. I know that it is counter intutive, but I think you will find that engines "pop" or backfire in the exhaust when they are lean not overly rich. Comes from the engine missing some when lean and the collected fuel igniting in the exhaust system. This was a common issue in 4 cylinder Porsches. The answer was setting the idle slightly richer.

John Clark
RV8 N18U (not popping ;) )
KSBA
That is a subtle and good point. Lean mixtures are volatile and combustion will burn very fast and abruptly. I forget to mention that a leaky GASKET can exasperate the characteristic.

My theory is regardless of what is going on with the mixture going IN to the cylinder (still think is a little rich @ idle), when the exhaust valve starts to open and fresh air mixes with the exhaust gas (which still has un-burnt fuel), it gets super lean suddenly and just POPs off, verses just flaming out or a continued controlled flame burn. Lean mixtures will burn rapidly and abruptly. However its lean because the initial combustion process in the cylinder has burned some fuel and than its injected with air making it super lean and volatile. Similar things happen in diesel engines but fuel is injected at super high pressure into the air already compressed (and hot) and thus you get a explosive spontaneous detonation with no ignition. Diesels are build super heavy duty to take it and get efficiency by the very high pressures they work at. For planes it may seem ideal but the engines are heavy to take the punishment.

One thing that happens at low power (and pressure) is the combustion flame front is slower and you are blowing unburnt fuel out the tail pipe. Also valve timing is a factor where the exhaust valve opens early for idle but fine for 2,500 RPM. That is why hot rods and drag cars with radical cams pop and lope unevenly at idle.

When the existing combustion sees the in rush of air and NOW lean mixture will finish burning abruptly, like detonation. When AIR mixes with lean FUEL mixture it causes an abrupt finish of the combustion that's still going on when the starts to exhaust valve opens.

Add very short pipes, any 4-into-1 or Vetterman than there are two things going on, more air in the pipe (when exhaust rushes out air goes in) and they are just not muffled. The reason other planes don't pop I think is indeed the pipes which are either muffled enough or starved of air (due to restrictions and effective length with muffler).

Detonation is a dirty word as we know and is bad if moderate or severe at high pressure (high power). In the classic sense, denotation occurs in the cylinder. The pipe POP deal its a mini detonation, but happens at such low pressures it's nothing more than a fire cracker noise maker. At high power and lean mixture detonation in the cylinder occurs with such force, abruptness, combustion is like an explosion, a bomb, not a controlled flame combustion. This can cause valve, piston, rod and bearing damage. The boundary layer of air around the combustion is ruined w/ detonation and causes more heat transferred to the cylinder (thus high CHT is a indicator or detonation) verse being expelled out the pipes. If detonation is left long enough and severe enough, it can turn into pre-ignition.

The lesson is lean mixtures burn abruptly. Its ok at low power and in the pipes, but to be a good neighbor it's good to avoid. I suppose if you run this pop pop a lot, even at low power, idle, you may do some harm over the long term? (Possible erosion of the exhaust port or initial part of the pipe?)

A leaky exhaust gaskets can cause a pop-pop condition in cars or planes. BY ALL MEANS MAKE SURE the exhaust gaskets on your RV are not leaking. I learned the HARD WAY. If you do have a leak, any, you can erode the exhaust cylinder head seat, but this is more of a worry at high power than idle. The leaky exhaust gasket I think might make the idle POP worse or more likely. Any way leaks are bad exhaust or intake. SO if you are getting lots of pops check it out. The leak allows more air into the exhaust port and cause the mini pipe detonation in the idle condition.

So bottom line I do think the mixture is RICH to start with at idle, but by the time it gets to the pipes just at the start of (EVO) - exhaust valve open, it is lean and ready to burn or pop abruptly with added oxygen in the pipe.

PS:
As kids, oh yes youth, we'd go down hill in gear and turn the ignition off back-driving the engine and than turn it back on. All that raw fuel in the pipes plus heat and air, pop or boom! It's kind of like what's going on with our Lycs in idle approach; it's a similar thing but different, but in either of these cases, you have combustion in the pipes, not the the cylinder. I didn't do it to my car, but my knuckle head friends thought is was fun.

In the case of drag cars, at idling at the start line w/ large valve overlap, you hear the, pop, pop-pop, pop. In this case its a HUGE cam over lap. EVO is happening so early at idle the flame front is still burning as the exhaust valve opens. In the Porsche case its again a combo of RICH fuel mixture, short pipes and radical cam timing. As the engine decelerates raw fuel is burning in the pipes. It could be a missing ignition but I don't think that is the case, its just normal and avoidable with slow throttle movement and idle position while decelerating or back driving.

Last edited:
Diesel ignition

George,

I agree with all you have said, except one small point. There is really no explosion in a diesel, or at least no more than a properly operating gasoline engine. While the fuel is injected at very high pressure, it is injected over a (relatively) long period of time. It is a very controlled burn. I helped with what I believe were the first high speed photos of the inside of a diesel combustion chamber back probably 35 years ago. Very interesting to watch. Incidently, one of the things we found was that part of the pollution of diesels of that day was caused by a small dropplet of fuel that injected itself as the pressure in the cylinder was released by the exhaust valve. It accounted for a significant part of the diesel smoke as it left the chamber almost totally unburned.

Bob Kelly

Popping when throttle is pulled

Simple:
straight pipes is the issue.

To reduce popping, clean and re-gap plugs or replace with new plugs.

This makes a big difference on my IO-360 RV7

Greetings,

I've read a few similar threads, and haven't seen anyone come to a complete solution to this problem (?) yet. I've had two RV-8's with O-360 engines. One had a fixed pitch Sensenich prop, and the current one has a Hartzell blended prop. The fixed pitch plane never had this issue, but my friends C/S equipped RV-8 has always has, and now my C/S equipped plane has it.

The problem is when I close the throttle all the way on final. There is a popcorn like sound from the exhaust, and it just doesn't seem like there ought to be. Originally, I had the idle set way too high (about 900), and it didn't do it. Now, with the idle around 750, it does, but only if I close it all the way.

Today, I was doing climb and descent tests, and tried leaning the mixture during descent. Sure enough, it makes the popping go away, but only when you get very close to idle cutoff. Interesting, but not something I really want to do on short final :eek:

My idle mixture is set to 30-50 rpm increase. The engine runs great otherwise. Anything I can do to make this noise stop?

Thanks,
Rusty (popping in the new year)

Mine (O-360 c/s) is pretty bad too. I mostly do wheel landings and usually come in with about 11". I get the popping when I pull back the power on downwind or when I chop it at the break from initial. I have idle mix set to 50 rpm rise and am at full rich in the pattern.

I also have some backfiring on the ramp occasionally. I also occasionally see fuel staining on top of the air box. Its the fuel staining the bothers me, not the popping so much.

I have replaced all the exhaust hoses and intake and exhaust gaskets to no avail.

Last edited:
Popping

You won't fix this issue unless you weld up all those slip joints in your headers.
That's where the fresh air is coming from. Problem is these slip joints keep your exhaust from cracking. Also makes installation easier.

Pretty normal... All recips do it...

Listen closely to any garden variety C-182 or Comanche on short final. You will hear the same popping sound, although greatly muffled due to the exhaust system differences. (i.e muffler)... :rolleyes:

If you've ever watched a formation flight returning using the overhead pattern, you will hear lots of popping as power levels are retarded in the break, as the airspeed begins to drive the propeller. Except unless it's a Mazda rotary... (Sorry Rodoc) ;)

The simple solution is to leave the prop at about 2300 on final.

It is a fallacy that you need full fine for landing.

It stops the popping and still gives enough power for a missed.

Back