What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Not starting up quite as fast...

alpinelakespilot2000

Well Known Member
I'm about 25 hours into Phase 1 and have noticed that my cold startups are not quite as fast as they used to be. I have a new Aerosport 0-320 with dual Slicks.

My first few hours the engine would fire within a blade or two. Now it takes multiple blades and sometimes a couple of attempts, even with a couple seconds of primer on the first attempt. It seems to have gotten progressively tougher. It has started getting cooler outside, though I'm pretty sure that is not the primary issue because even on the warmer days it's a bit slow to start. FWIW, however, if re-starting while warm, it will fire right up.

My amateur guess is that having run full rich for most of the first 20 hours during break in has left one or more plugs with a bit more lead than they like. Is this the first place I should start? Any other suggestions?

Thanks,
Steve

Last edited:
I don't think I'd discount the cooler weather Steve, especially since you say it starts right up when the engine is warm. Simplest solutions are generally the easiest to work with. We don't have primers on any of our airplanes, but that's because we live on the gulf coast. Getting started up north in the cold is a bit trickier.

You can check your plugs (and probably should), but this might not be too complicated.

cold starts

Here in northcentral Pa., the morning temps have been in the upper 20's/low 30's for the past few weeks. Sure enough, my Lycoming 0-360 got quite stubborn to start. For the short term I have a 100 watt bulb hanging off the oil service door with a blanket over the cowling. End of starting problems.

Jim Diehl 7A
Lock Haven, Pa.

Reiff Pre-heat

One of my co-workers has the Reiff system on his O-360 powered C170. He says that when it's -40 outside, his oil and cylinders are just about warm enough to take off. Never does a cold start.

Thanks for the comments. I'm keeping the cooler temps in mind but I'm still skeptical b/c starting on more recent 60-degree days has been slower than it had been on 60-degree days earlier in Phase 1.

Slow winter starting

I'm about 25 hours into Phase 1 and have noticed that my cold startups are not quite as fast as they used to be. I have a new Aerosport 0-320 with dual Slicks.

My first few hours the engine would fire within a blade or two. Now it takes multiple blades and sometimes a couple of attempts, even with a couple seconds of primer on the first attempt. It seems to have gotten progressively tougher. It has started getting cooler outside, though I'm pretty sure that is not the primary issue because even on the warmer days it's a bit slow to start. FWIW, however, if re-starting while warm, it will fire right up.

My amateur guess is that having run full rich for most of the first 20 hours during break in has left one or more plugs with a bit more lead than they like. Is this the first place I should start? Any other suggestions?

Thanks,
Steve

Steve,
a preheat of the engine is best.
If that is not an option then try waiting 2 minutes to crank after priming to let fuel atomize better, (Cold weather trick.) Just one option.
Give it a try. Good luck and let us know what works best.

Can you check your timing?

I do not have the same ignition system as you but in a recent Lycoming class I attended the instructor emphasized the importance of precision in the timing. My engine was also getting a little balky at starting to the point that I bought and installed a new Concord battery and a new mag (not installed, however) so when I came home I checked it and found it to be off but within tolerance which is the way I had been setting it - because it seemed impossible to get it precisely correct. This time because the instructor was so insistent on precision in direct response to my questioning, I set it locked the mag down rechecked it found it off but in tolerance, loosened it reset it, tightened it down rechecked it, loosened it reset it ... 5 or more times before I nailed it. Then I synced the nonsensor mag to it precisely, which I also used to just make sure it's in tolerance and I haven't had a hesitation in starting since.

Bob Axsom

winter starting

Bob, above, is absolutely correct. A quick starting Lycoming does not need the mags timed. A slow starting Lycoming should have the mag timing checked.

I did not consider this as your issue since you claimed the engine started quickly less than 25 hours ago. Bob is right though and you should check your mags for proper time settings. Good to do every 100 hours or when harder starting is identified. Also try the waiting after priming.

Agree with all above points.

Also check Lycoming Service bulletin SB603 which is related to accelerated wear an a particular lot of point assys from Slick. It affects engines other than just Lycoming.

Back