What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

How much paint per wing?

loopfuzz

Well Known Member
I've been searching around the forums for a answer to this but didn't find a answer.

Painting one wing at a time on a RV6. Wondering around how much paint and primer a single wing takes? Ideas?

I made a long post in the painting section of the forum with a lot of details.

On a side note, just watch out, I rarely see 2 different batches of paint match exactly.

I think somewhere around 3/4-1 gallon for 2 wings, top and bottom including wing tips if I remember correctly.

Whatever paint you are using, look at how many square feet a gallon uses, then compare to the surface area of the wing.

I think my whole rv 8 used about 2 gallons total.

It depends on the type of paint you are using and type of spray equipment you are using. A HVLP spray gun uses lots of CFM and generally puts down more orange peel, but it can save on paint used. A more conventional gun will require less CFM and will put down a smoother finish, but will use more paint. A good HVLP gun can use 13-15 CFM. So unless you have a huge air compressor, go with a more conventional gun. If you use a HVLP gun with not enough CFM, you will get a horrible finish.

Back