What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Testing The Waters: Mojave to Bimini

Toobuilder

Well Known Member
With a nod to Rosie's epic journey, I just wanted to give a quick shout out to all the virgins out there. If you think you want to fly the Bahamas, just do it!

With plenty of research and building confidence in our recently acquired Rocket We loaded up our stuff and set out solo for our first foray out of the country.

28a2p83.jpg

Our overnight stops included (in order) 50F, FA51, MYBS, KEYW, FA51, KNEW, 50F, and back home to Mojave: 1CL2.

Only a few weather snags including an uncharacteristic head wind on the very first day which required a premature fuel stop. That, coupled with the emotional burden of seeing only 170 knots ground speed made for a long day. The second day from Texas to Florida was much better with a slight push giving us 200+ for much of the way. I didn't have to use my "spare day" waiting out weather, but I was also not feeling much like fighting my way up to Sun n Fun either, so I killed the day relaxing. The next day's flight to South Bimini was a short one, with only 15 minutes over water. Easy pass through customs, they didn't even ask for any fees or taxes. Just showed the passports and we were on our way to our rented house for some R&R.

A view from our back deck:

2hickdl.jpg

Clearing out of customs was easy with payment of the departure tax and showing my pilot certificate to gain access to the ramp. The weather was not as clear as I would have liked, requiring flying lower than I'm used to for a while, but was safe and easy. Upon arrival at KEYW, we had to wait for 20 minutes in the US Customs "penalty box" out on the ramp while the guy did whatever it is they do, but he was pleasant. He didn't even comment on the fact that I forgot my "big numbers" on the fuselage.

The flight back to my buddies house in Ft. Meyers was also easy with great weather and about 40 minutes "feet wet".

Though we planned New Orleans as an option on the way home, we didn't book until the last second and lucked out with a great deal on a room right near Burbon street. this, despite the fact that Jazzfest was still in high gear. Two enjoyable nights in the Big Easy and we made the short hop back to the Ft. Worth area. An unusual eastbound push with the ground speed once again 200+ made quick work of that leg. We considered grabbing gas and pressing for home, but a line of weather along the Texas-New Mexico border had me worried. I elected to spend the night at 50F and get a fresh start in the AM. I was rewarded for my caution with blistering headwinds, turbulence and sketchy weather. In fact I was stopped in my tracks by weather at Abiline only an hour into the trip. We waited a few hours, saw a break and went for it. I punched through the line safely, but still had to deal with 160 knots over the ground for much of the trip. Only after fuel in Demming did I begin to see the headwind slack off, and with it the fuel totalizer showing a positive margin at landing. We landed yesterday evening with plenty of daylight remaining and 6.8 hours logged for the day.

Total mileage for the trip was right at 4500 and we logged 25.8 hours of flight time.

So my message is simple: If an international Virgin, VFR pilot can pack his wife and some clothes into a Rocket for a 2 week vacation, so can most of you. If you're on the fence, go for it!

Nice job

We just got back from our second bahamas trip. What was amazing to me was the number of RV's.

We met lots of rvs at ft pierce, marsh harbour and on the tiny island of blackpoint there where 8 RV's! 7,8s, 9s, and a couple tens! Its super small island...it was like oshkosh for rv's!

Landed at deadmans cay, another rv.... got to exuma, more rvs, got back to ft pierce and there are on the ramp where some of the big trip rvs having lunch at the fbo.

Small world. Rvs are EVERYWHERE.

Nice report, Michael!

Living here in Florida, we've had many opportunities to hop over to the Bahamas over the years. The first couple trips are a little bit anxiety-producing, but then one has to remember that the airplane doesn't know when it's flying over water, and it doesn't know when it's in another country.

Flying is flying. Leaving and returning to the USA just takes a bit more planning and paperwork, but it's all quite doable.

Go for it!

P5120257.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

RV Travel machine

If you think about what Mike said in his post, the RV is quite the traveling machine. 4500 miles in 25 hours! Couldn't do that in a car.

Back