What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Caribbean database for a 430W

pierre smith

Well Known Member
Last month when we flew to Ft. Pierce, Florida, we discovered that the 430W didn't have the Bahamas in its database, so we used the 496, which does.

We also discovered that we could zoom out on the 430W and when the island and airport appeared, use the cursor and Direct-to to go to that airport using the Garmin 430W-driven autopilot.

How much is the Caribbean database anyway?

Thanks,

Last month when we flew to Ft. Pierce, Florida, we discovered that the 430W didn't have the Bahamas in its database, so we used the 496, which does.

We also discovered that we could zoom out on the 430W and when the island and airport appeared, use the cursor and Direct-to to go to that airport using the Garmin 430W-driven autopilot.

Thanks,
If my memory serves me correctly, You might have the North America data base but you probably need the Americas data base. I usually get a one time update once a year and believe it costs about 150+. A call to jeppesen
http://jeppdirect.jeppesen.com/legal/charts/ads-overview.jsp?kwpgus=&cid=sem90044776 might be necessary. Larry

Thanks,

If I recall, it is covered in the World Map but that is likely relative to only the 496 I have, which can now hold only North America or South America, due to the size.

EDIT: Disregard. I was thinking ForeFlight database.

Last edited:
As LARCO said above you have to get the full Americas database even if you only go as far as the US Virgin Islands. Go figure. But if you only go once a year then you might consider a 1 cycle only upgrade to your existing subscription. And you have to get it from Jeppesen.

FWIW the weather in the Caribbean is normally severe VFR and there are ILS/VOR approaches at most major airports so I refuse to pay for the upgrade. You can get most approach plates and low IFR charts for free on line. Helps me with my old school IFR procedures.

:cool:

Last edited:
You have to get the full Americas database even if you only go as far as the US Virgin Islands. Go figure. But if you only go once a year then you might consider a 1 cycle only upgrade to your existing subscription.

Interesting. The JeppDirect site to purchase Navdata subscriptions for the G430W lists "Continental US, Hawaii, Bahamas, and Bermuda" when you mouse over the "Full US" subscription for $425/yr. Guess that's not true?

And for anyone thinking they want to purchase an Avidyne IFD-540, just wait till you choke on the Jepp database update price for that unit. You can get the whole USA for only $3,336.38/year! What a deal! :eek:

Interesting. The JeppDirect site to purchase Navdata subscriptions for the G430W lists "Continental US, Hawaii, Bahamas, and Bermuda" when you mouse over the "Full US" subscription for $425/yr. Guess that's not true?

Yup. The NORTHERN Bahamas is included with the Full US but, if I remember correctly, nothing south of Bimini or Nassau so legally it is a correct statement.

I have gone as far south as Great Exuma and it is my database. I know Eluthra, Nassau and the Abacos are in my database. Rarely will you fnd any approach plates, but I have trips to these places a couple of times a year. Try using airport IDs like MYNN for Nassau, etc.

We tried

We tried a couple of the airports..MYGF and came up empty..."Not in database" or something similar.

Best,

Pierre,

Should you happen to be using Foreflight you can download the WAC charts for the area. Or more.. The MB is not large for the WAC. Utilizing a GPS such as DUAL or Stratus you will be geo cashed the entire way.

Hope you have been well. Lot of snow up here in Cumming did you get any?

Jack

I use Skychartspro

Hi Jack,
Yes, we have maps available on Skychartspro but to use the autopilot, it needs to be in the 430W. Getting lazy in my old age. :)

No snow..just barely missed it.
Best,

As stated: "The Americas" will get you all you need...

You will also get "Central America"... just in case you ever get a "really" wild hair.... For the Bahamas, I call Jeppesen about every two years for a "paper" copy of the Marsh Harbor and Treasure Cay approaches.... they are always very helpful and send them, no charge.... I have a friend that made a couple of "medical supply" runs to Haiti after the earthquake. Jeppesen sent him a ton of stuff "no charge".... they were very helpful then too....

Your numbers look great.

Jim, your progress report on the -8 looks good!

Finishing kit arrival...cool. Expected fly date, or is it too early?

Best,

Thanks Pierre!

Jim, your progress report on the -8 looks good!

Finishing kit arrival...cool. Expected fly date, or is it too early?

Best,

Prepping for interior paint now so that I can put everything in and leave it. Want to hang the engine so I can get the cowl right.... Fixin' to pull the trigger on some "horse power" in a few weeks... probably at SNF..... Only hitch is, the fish have started biting..... :eek:

If I can hold back the "fishin' addiction" long enough to get the "flyin' addiction" fully funded..... maybe as close as next year..... or not....

Back