- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 08-14-2022, 02:54 PM

Default OSH 2023

Basic question. How do those that don't fly themselves in bring the cost of attendance down? Looking at hotels and it is crazy expensive even for a motel 6. That doesn't even include airfare. From Oregon it is literally $1300 round trip per person. Basically, for a few days there, rental car, food, airfare and misc, looking at $4-5k for 2 people. Not sure why it is so expensive to fly to the midwest. No wonder they call it fly over country, its too expensive to stop. Cheaper to fly coast to coast than to stop in the midwest.
Old 08-14-2022, 03:22 PM

I got a round trip quote from Alaskan Airlines from Seatac to Milwaukee nonstop roundtrip departing 07/22/22 returning following Friday for 950, three days before departure.

I imagine that the price would be less if booked in advance.

Cant help you with hotels, but there are alternatives like the University.

A
VAF #1401
(N89269) reserved
"Seek to understand before trying to be understood"
Old 08-14-2022, 03:32 PM

I guess you could fly somewhere within a few hours drive of Osh (wherever is cheapest), get a rental car, ship camping gear which you could pickup at the GES service center between hangars A & C, and camp in Scholler. That’s probably the cheapest option unless you can get in with someone looking to share expenses on an RV (trailer trailer) or house rental/AirBnB.
WAR EAGLE!
Old 08-14-2022, 04:11 PM

Default Perhaps a change of focus

I can't help with the expenses, but perhaps a change of focus might "psychologically" help. I've been to KOSH probably 28 times in 35 years, live 8 hrs. away, and drive in.

My wife and I stay in the Sheboygan area. Yes, its an hour drive, but the ride to and fro gives me a leg rest anyway. We go to EAA for a day or two, take a day off, and walk Lake Michigan at the beaches/harbor. Go another day and then hop up to Door County for some shopping. Breaks up the trip, and gives a nice rest. Besides, how many times can you ride the yellow tram anyway...?

There is a lot to do in that part of Wisconsin. There are some nice towns, sites, and great restaurants. Accommodations are more plentiful and cheaper a little farther away. We did buy a small motorhome last year, and this was the first year camping on Lake Michigan. Worked great, but I know that is not applicable to your position/question about cost.

If you simply want to go to Airventure from opening bell to close at night every day, my post isn't worth much......but if you are trying to make a well rounded enjoyable vacation, stay farther away and break it up a little. Just my 0.02. Thanks.
N433BM "Dastardly" RV-12is EMP, FUSE, WINGS, Done...FINISH and POWER PLANT in PROGRESS
Official Repeat Offender
"Maintain thy airspeed...Lest the earth arise and smite thee..."

Last edited by bkc3921 : 08-14-2022 at 04:12 PM. Reason: typo
Old 08-14-2022, 04:13 PM

Default Osh

That's why we stopped going. First trip was fun. $50 night. 2nd trip we stayed closer. Not much more, close and wonderful salt water pool. Two years on that hotel. Next year was a massive price increase. We called it quits. Even hotels 100 miles away were too much. Kinda sad.
Builder Blog: http://wirejockrv7a.blogspot.com
Donated 12/01/2021, plus a little extra.
RV-7A #73391, N511RV reserved
Disclaimer
I cannot be, nor will I be, held responsible if you try to do the same things I do and it does not work and/or causes you loss, injury, or even death in the process.
Old 08-14-2022, 04:31 PM

Fly into Appleton. Bus goes from airport to EAA. School bus to dorm .Dorm room at the University. Eat at the university or a nearby walk. Bus pass for the week.

Last few trips, Appleton bus people had locked storage at the EAA bus loop that you could leave your stuff the day you arrive and get at the end of the day when headed to dorms. Same when you head back to Appleton

Pay attention to check in times at the dorms.

Short of sleeping in a tent at EAA, this is the cheapest way to go.... You do not need a car.

Info here.... https://uwosh.edu/gcc/eaa-airventure-lodging/

2022 rates here.... https://uwosh.edu/gcc/eaa-airventure...ons-and-rates/
VAF #897 Warren Moretti
2022 =VAF= Dues PAID

Last edited by gasman : 08-14-2022 at 04:42 PM.
Old 08-14-2022, 05:22 PM

Default Save your money

Save your money until you can fly there yourself, I did the same.
There is nothing in Oshkosh that you cannot find elsewhere and with you in Oregon, you can visit Van and browse all the Rv's until your heart's content.
When you do eventually get to fly your own RV-14?? the cost of flying will probably not be less but much more fun and rewarding.
If you end up not building an airplane, I would spend the money at least once in your life to visit Airventure.
Running on 91 Octane E10 mogas since 2011
We all get what some of us deserve
Old 08-14-2022, 05:39 PM

My wife an I stayed in Appleton for this years show. Stayed 5 nights and went to show 3 days.
Easy drive to show. BUT, motel was $279.00 a night.
Now to schedule 2023. My wife already reserve a hotel in Appleton with pool for only $169.00 and we'll stay for 4 nights.
Goin to drive from Battle Ground Washington cause we are going to go through Canada on the way there and the southern states on the way back. Three weeks probably.
Only thing I hate about traveling is the motel air conditioners.
We only stay in plus rated motel too. None of them Motel 6's for me.
It did cost $800.00 in gas, But, we were on the trip for 19 days
A different perspective. But then I'm retired and have time on my hands.
Art
Old 08-14-2022, 06:21 PM

Cost of transportation from your home to Oshkosh and back... if time isn't an issue, drive to bring that cost down... of course increase in time demands is the penalty. The absolute least expensive way I think is to drive and camp. I was alone so easy breezy. Have a spouse to consider and that alone may require a change of plans. Sometimes women don't like the common showers and porta potties, (although I'd rate the common shower/porta potty experiences at Osh as the best anywhere. They keep everything pumped and very clean IMO). Driving from the gulf coast each time I've been and camped at Scholler in my tent. Cost this year I think was about 30 a night. I also eat very little inside the show or in town. I bring my own food. My total expense this year was very reasonable. The experience of camping is wonderful too. Tent, sleeping bag, cool dry breeze most of the time and visiting with fellow campers.
RV 7A, Lycoming 0 320 D1A, Sensenich FP propeller
pilotforfun2001@yahoo.com
VAF supporter $$$
Old 08-14-2022, 06:43 PM

Sure does seem like a lot of $$$ to use Porta-Potties and save 10% on your Aircraft Spruce order....

-Marc
Plus extra donation for someone who didn't