-Advertise in here!
- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 11-29-2015, 09:21 PM

Shouldn't matter. Use fans to draw out overspray to avoid dieback (dry overspray falling onto the freshly painted surface and making it "sandy". Based on your photos it looks like you don't have that issue, but watch out for it when shooting larger pieces (more paint in the air) Also, aim away from the booth walls with the gun air blast, as you can kick up dust/dried overspray on the walls.

I'm sure you've read Dan H's tips on color sanding and buffing. A painters secret weapon. That's how all the high end cars get that finish. It doesn't come out of the gun that way! (A run is easier to fix than orange peel. Go for good flow out.). Ironically, you may find your best finishes on the surfaces you paint upside down (or nearly so) due to no dieback and better flow out!

N164WM RV-6A Slider/O-360/FP Sold 4/2022
N184WM (RV-8) In final assembly at the airport. Titan IOX-370
N184P reserved (RV-8QB) Empennage kit and QB wings in the shop
Old 11-30-2015, 05:21 AM

thx, will read about buffing and it's true, the better surfaces are the lower sides. I place the top side downwards in the booth. Less dirt on the downward side too.

Last edited by A2022 : 11-30-2015 at 02:45 PM.
Old 11-30-2015, 10:29 AM

Steve what size and model compressor are you using?
Building RV-12 with brother
Old 11-30-2015, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Melton View Post
good tips, I think I have one of those unused pumps laying around. I'll put it to use. I'll try the cardboard. Question, does solvent escape faster/better with booth vans on or off?
I'm not sure cardboard would be the best as it will absorb some of the solvents and dry quicker. A scrap of alum. might be better. Just a thought.
AirCam flying
Old 11-30-2015, 02:50 PM

before, satin finish just after painting because I sprayed a final dust coat on this to try to eliminate some orange peel

after, one day baking at 65F, a little better

I don't recommend dust coating with this paint. Put it on wet.

I do notice the paint oozes solvents for about a week because I could not pick up a wheel pant by the tail because it would slip out of my hand at two days after painting. I probably didn't let the solvents escape as well between coats on the wheel pants. after a week I can pick it up by the tail.

Last edited by A2022 : 12-07-2015 at 02:34 PM.
Old 12-02-2015, 05:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fearless View Post
Steve what size and model compressor are you using?

I'll add a couple more aux tanks when I paint the wings and fuse. I think they help. Sams idea.

no fisheyes using these final clean paper towels, cheaper than rags. hey, they are 50% stronger. that always makes me wonder, stronger that what? it looks like there is some fine print there I need to read.

added some exhaust vent ends to make the outside connection easier, $4 each. when it's raining outside I can place the fans outside and swing the door open and make the connection inside and then close the door and not get wet. the fans operate on independent circuits in case of a failure. I can modulate the flow using one fan. One fan pulls negative pressure in the booth. When painting, both fans are on. there is no fogging in the booth when painting. I should be able to place the fans outside and connect the vents in less than two minutes.

more dyrwall compound. I will slough this off over the trash can using grey scotch-brite.

Last edited by A2022 : 12-07-2015 at 02:43 PM.
Old 12-02-2015, 11:07 PM

little pieces that jump around when hung. I needed to stabilize these with my hand on the backside. maybe there is a better method than this. always more orange peel when vertical but not too bad. I should have cut those strips loose at the base to cure in a relaxed state. beginning first coat paint both temp 75F, end of first coat booth temp 69F, beginning second coat booth temp 70F, end second coat booth temp 66F. reducer DT870. air pressure at gun when trigger pulled 21 psi. outside air temp 3C.

drywall compound works for pin holes.

Last edited by A2022 : 12-07-2015 at 02:40 PM.
Old 12-03-2015, 05:32 AM

Well, looks like I'm gonna have to start another plane just do I can try that drywall mud!
First Flight https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqgxhWH3pqA
Dues Paid
Old 12-03-2015, 02:16 PM

hey, the urethane set up in the refrig after three days. I used this container three days in a row with similar at the bottom. my conclusion is you have one day in the refrig to use it again. I mix it with new before using. calculations are this paint cost 1 cent per drop. this is probably $10 worth of paint.

the epoxy primer on the other hand has lasted up to 10 days in the refrig with no apparent issues.

dental root canal drill bit for cleaning small air holes in paint gun. try not to think about how long it is.

Last edited by A2022 : 12-07-2015 at 02:47 PM.
Old 12-03-2015, 02:22 PM

first runs. why... because the paint was over thinned and the hung part was jumping around when painting and swung in too close to the gun nozzle. the new paint cups I purchased did not have the correct ratios marked and I had to estimate the reducer quantity. time to buy proper mixing cups to be able to mix it per the spec without estimating. I need a 4:1:2 ratio and used the 4:1:1 ratio and tried to estimate by being slightly less than doubling the last number for the reducer. also, do not mix the paint by weight, using a scale, as I saw in one youtube video by some "internet" guy measuring to the last gram. I tried this once using sandable primer and noticed to my suspicion that the weight measurements did not match the volume measurements. duh. mix it by volume by the spec.

trim tab, darn it.

Last edited by A2022 : 12-07-2015 at 02:48 PM.