camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-8/8A
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-12-2022, 05:19 PM

Default Options

Quote:
Originally Posted by claycookiemonster View Post
One of the many wonderful things about the newer glass instruments is how SO MUCH information can be compressed into a smaller space than the old "Six-pack" days of round dials. Attachment 24517
My tentative panel will leave room along the bottom of the panel unused, so I'm interested in cutting the panel along the bottom to allow for a longer stick and more leg room.
I'm concerned that cutting off that rounded corner at the bottom will reduce the integrity of the panel. Am I over thinking that? I know I could always rivet some angle along the newer edge down there.
You will need the angle at the bottom for structural integrity. If you are really "bent" on more room, a couple of options I can think of:

1) When I laid out my new panel, I was looking for MORE length at the bottom, not less(for switches). Turns out, Vans makes an oversized panel. Bill from Up North Aviation who cut my panel has the CAD RV8 template, so he was able to create an RV8 panel from the blank stock rectangle panel to fit the RV8, but just a little longer. I suspect he could do the same, only shorter, leaving the bend at the bottom if you wanted. In the end, I used the stock panel, but I considered having Bill cut one a little longer.

2) Stu chimed in - but I like what he did and took a picture. Here it is. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9nkZvtgbIoo
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	59
Size:	101.6 KB
ID:	24562  
New Superior IO-360-B1AC2 w/Hartzell Composite CS
RV8 - #83313 - Under Construction (sort of!)

Last edited by Northernliving : 04-12-2022 at 05:21 PM.
Old 04-12-2022, 05:20 PM

Default setback

I took a different approach and recessed the center portion of the panel about an inch. Made a big difference in legroom.

KBKX Brookings SD
RV9A x2, RV8A, Glasair S2RG, RV14 in progress

Last edited by 9erDriver : 04-12-2022 at 06:01 PM. Reason: better pic
Old 04-13-2022, 06:30 AM

Van designed the stick, pushrods and bellcranks to provide a specific relationship between stick force and aircraft response. Lengthening the stick will change that. Do you understand what that change will do to handling qualities? Do you really want to mess with that?
Instagram @sblack2154
Old 04-13-2022, 06:47 AM

Just my opinion but I would rethink lengthening the stick unless you are a large person because the shorter stick is so sweet on the controls as is. Like others said itís your plane though

RV6 N6RP rebuilding
RV6 N9XK bought and flying
Old 04-13-2022, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sblack View Post
Van designed the stick, pushrods and bellcranks to provide a specific relationship between stick force and aircraft response. Lengthening the stick will change that. Do you understand what that change will do to handling qualities? Do you really want to mess with that?
Absolutely. A little more pitch sensitivity is well worth the current setup where I'm reaching down between my legs to fly, and can't get my thumb on top of the stick for trim..

You can only go about a half inch longer because of the steel crossbrace, unless you go with an S-Bend.