What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Status of paint project for N159SB (Brantel)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brantel

Well Known Member
Here I will update pics of my paint project as it progresses...

Painter is Bobby Potts of Tuscaloosa Interiors in Tuscaloosa Alabama. He is a well known airplane painter of the South East. He has over 30 years experience painting airplanes of all types and has painted many many many RV's.

Direct link to larger pics.

Here is the scheme, colors will be Metalic Red, A shade of Metalic Gold that leans to the darker side, and an Off White.

paint2.jpg

DSC00566.jpg

DSC00567.jpg

DSC00568.jpg

DSC00569.jpg

DSC00570.jpg

DSC00571.jpg

DSC00572.jpg

DSC00573.jpg

Last edited:
Wow!, he's making some progress. I am still waiting for updated photos of mine. Are you flying it up to Oshkosh?

Wow!, he's making some progress. I am still waiting for updated photos of mine. Are you flying it up to Oshkosh?

No Osh for me this year...My company has a maintenance/project shutdown that conflicts with Osh. :( Maybe next year!

Wing paint is on:

DSC00574.jpg

DSC00575.jpg

Aileron paint is on:

DSC00576.jpg

White is on the fuse and the lower cowl:

DSC00577.jpg

Can't wait to see the Metalic Red go on!!!

More color pics

Almost as good as going to Osh. Last week's progress...

He ain't the fastest around but it sure looks so far like he knows what he is doing!

DSC00579.jpg

DSC00578.jpg

DSC00580.jpg

I can hardly wait to see this thing complete and out in the Sun!!!

Few pics from last week's progress. Bobby tells me it will be finished and ready for pic up this week/weekend!!

Link to larger pics...

DSC00582.JPG

My canopy no longer has electrical tape all around the edges of the glass!!!
DSC00581.JPG

Some dust on these parts, it already needs a bath!
DSC00583.JPG

DSC00584.JPG

Woo-HOO!

Looking great, Brian! Isn't it amazing how your excitement builds when going from oogly scuffed aluminum and blotchy composite to shiny, colorful paint? Same plane, but ... not!

Can't wait to see finished pics in the sunlight. Keep 'em coming. :D

It really looks good Brian.

Thanks Alton!

I like the red color can you tell us what the colors are.
Thanks
Gerry

I picked out the paint chips but I don't remember the codes. I will get em from Bobby when I pick up the plane and report. I do remember they were 2004 Ford PPG colors.

Brain

You have to pleased with that!!!! I bet you cannot wait to pick it up.

I am very anxious to see it in person!!!

Beautiful! Looks so wet!

Thanks!

Very nice. I really like the classic lines. Unique also!

I was after a classic but different look, something out of the box. Seems like this is gonna work out.

looking great Brian. guess you'll be over there tomorrow putting it together

Bobby and crew is doing most of the reassembly. I will double check their work but he has an A&P that does this type of thing so I do not expect to find anything. Right now it is looking like it will be the weekend before I can get over there and get it.

Looking great, Brian! Isn't it amazing how your excitement builds when going from oogly scuffed aluminum and blotchy composite to shiny, colorful paint? Same plane, but ... not!

Can't wait to see finished pics in the sunlight. Keep 'em coming. :D

It is amazing how different any RV looks from no paint to paint. They totally transform into something different. It is scary to see what they do to one of these planes getting em ready for paint. Kind of makes me laugh since I left all that blue plastic on for most of the build.

I am gratefull to be allowed the privelege to build and fly one of these planes. Thank God that my situation turned around 180? to allow me to finish, fly for over a year and then afford to be able to get paint on my bird.

Won't be long now till I can make a post in the finished forum! (I know they are never truly finished)

Looks great Brian!

I would be interested to know how much color and clear were used for the paint job. For future reference.

That is really looking great Brian. You must really be proud. I'm looking forward to seeing it in person sometime.

Here are a couple teaser pics of the finished paint!

I was to go down and pic her up today but the large mass of storms in Northern Alabama stopped us....will try again tomorrow.

DSC00586.JPG

DSC00585.JPG

Larger pics here:

I will post some out in the Sun pics as soon as I can get her back home!

call them back and tell them to shove it outside. We need a sunshine pic!:D

Gonna be looking sharp, Brian

Nice!

I got to say Brian, the renderings were "ok", and it is always hard to imagine the end result.

Now that it's done it really came out NICE!

You got to be proud of the outcome!

Wow! That looks great Brian!
You guys are setting the bar high for good looking airplanes.

Nice! Congratulations

Love the red and gray color together. Also very unique. Please post more pictures when you get it finished!

FINSIHED!!!

More to come over in the Virtual Hangar later but for now...FINISHED (I know they are never really finished)

DPP_1133.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back