What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Odyssey Battery Question

Gerald Clabots

It's time to order a battery for my 7A. Is the Odyssey PC 680 the correct battery to purchase?
Is their anything to be aware of when ordering like some model might have side mounted terminals?
Also what size cap screws do they have for connecting the battery leads?
Best place to order?
Gerry

Odyssey PC 680

1) Good choice
2) Top screws are metric threads
3) Forget the lightning holes in the case-the steel is tough to cut and ruins cutting tools
4) If allowed to discharge down to low voltage, some chargers will not charge unless you simultaneously apply a load on the battery-like hooking up a light or motor to the battery as you try to charge it. This is an old A&P trick that lets you charge a battery that won't take a charge.
5) Spruce sells a cheap ~$39 battery keeper so you can keep it charged during avionics installs, testing,etc.

Vern hit all the high points. To expound a little: The screws are metric M6. There are no side terminal models (that I'm aware of.) They're available online from a bunch of places for about the same $.

It may be right there in your backyard!

Gerald Clabots said:
It's time to order a battery for my 7A. Is the Odyssey PC 680 the correct battery to purchase? Is their anything to be aware of when ordering like some model might have side mounted terminals?
Also what size cap screws do they have for connecting the battery leads?
Best place to order? Gerry
The PC-680 is widely available and is used in jet skis. For that reason, when my first $160 copy purchased from Van's catalog shot craps, I was able to buy a replacement on a Sunday from a Batteries Plus outlet located at a local strip mall. It cost $80. Wicks carries the the terminal adaptors but I'm sure they can be had from other places.

Rick Galati RV-6A "Darla"

Try Ebay for batteries. You can get a PC-680 delivered to your doorstep for about $75. Even better, Sunn batteries (they sell theirs for $62 + $13 S&H) sells a whole bunch of 'em through Ebay, so you're not going to get a battery that has been sitting on a shelf somewhere for 6 months...

What is the full Model Number of the correct PC 680?
Vans currently sells it for $87.50.
It appears that Vans version it is slighty smaller in thickness than the E Bay PC680MJ being offered.

Al Smith
RV 6 FF N495AB
KEOS

MJ = metal jacket

The full part number is just PC680.

Pretty sure MJ means metal jacket, and I believe the MJ comes with the steel box. Not sure if it's the same steel box Van's sells as part of the PC680's installation kit. Regardless, the PC680 is the same battery whether it's the MJ or not. (Please correct me if I'm wrong here, guys.)

sunnbattery.com and batteries4everything.com also sell (or at least used to sell) the PC680. Depending on which state you live in, you may pay less buying from one vendor than the other, due to tax, shipping costs, etc.

)_( Dan
RV-7 N714D
http://www.rvproject.com

Back