What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Which Alternator, Starter and Oil Cooler?

rockitdoc

Well Known Member
Sponsor
Attached to my YIO 390EXP119. But, does it matter which engine? What's the consensus? Does it matter?

I choose the B&C 60 amp alternator and the skytec NL starter ave been happy with my choice. (Standard oil cooler)

Skytec NL starter won’t fit EXP119

I choose the B&C 60 amp alternator and the skytec NL starter ave been happy with my choice. (Standard oil cooler)

I just had that experience this week. The NL won’t fit due to interference with the FM200 fuel servo. I’m exploring alternatives as I don’t like the standard LS STARTER with permanent magnet motor.

I just had that experience this week. The NL won’t fit due to interference with the FM200 fuel servo. I’m exploring alternatives as I don’t like the standard LS STARTER with permanent magnet motor.

Ahhh, yeah I dont have the new engine so I have the FM-150. And yes it is the externally regulated alt.

Have a picture of the interference?

Have a picture of the interference?
This is the best picture I have right now. But the FM200 is much larger and mounts at a slight angle which is enough to not allow the inline motor of the NL to fit in that space.

Attachments

• E45EC267-3E4B-4110-9AA9-6F620760EDA0.jpg
    E45EC267-3E4B-4110-9AA9-6F620760EDA0.jpg
    476.8 KB · Views: 330
Can you rotate the FM200 90 or 180 degrees and have the starter fit above it?

(I'm thinking the starter hits the top of the FM200)

My other thought is a wedge adapter between the FM200 and the intake.

I've been told it's worth considering the B & C alternator as well as a backup alternator. If you've installed a backup alternator, which have you chosen?

I put a BC-410H on the vacuum pad as a backup to the stock Plane Power alternator. Not possible on the new 390EXP119 unless I have missed something. Also did the B&C oil filter adapter. Very pleased with both choices. The stby alternator (20-Amp) can carry the whole electrical load no problem. Belt and suspenders for me! :D

Sump? Hot or Cold

This is the best picture I have right now. But the FM200 is much larger and mounts at a slight angle which is enough to not allow the inline motor of the NL to fit in that space.

Which intake air sump do you have on your IO-390 with the FM200?

I have the hot air sump on my 390 along with the FM200, I went through a challenging modification of the Van's intake air snorkel to plumb it to the FM200. I was able to take the modified snorkel over to Air Flow Performance (18 miles away) to have Don test it for proper air flow - passed with flying colors.

Am wondering if the newer snorkel from Van's that is designed for the cold air sump would work even better and would take little (or no) modification to apply to my install.

I put a BC-410H on the vacuum pad as a backup to the stock Plane Power alternator. Not possible on the new 390EXP119 unless I have missed something. Also did the B&C oil filter adapter. Very pleased with both choices. The stby alternator (20-Amp) can carry the whole electrical load no problem. Belt and suspenders for me! :D

The stock EXP doesn't have a vacuum pad. However, there is an option to add it back at a cost, but you loose some of the weight savings etc. Tradeoffs Tradeoffs.

Which intake air sump do you have on your IO-390 with the FM200?

I have the hot air sump on my 390 along with the FM200, I went through a challenging modification of the Van's intake air snorkel to plumb it to the FM200. I was able to take the modified snorkel over to Air Flow Performance (18 miles away) to have Don test it for proper air flow - passed with flying colors.

Am wondering if the newer snorkel from Van's that is designed for the cold air sump would work even better and would take little (or no) modification to apply to my install.

Hi Jeff - I have the cold air sump (EXP119 engine). I haven't received the snorkel yet but it may work for you . . . i just don't know.

Can you rotate the FM200 90 or 180 degrees and have the starter fit above it?

(I'm thinking the starter hits the top of the FM200)

My other thought is a wedge adapter between the FM200 and the intake.

Rotating brings about lots of complications with the throttle and mixture cables. I am working on a starter solution and will report back later. A wedge will only mess up the snorkle alignment - remember this is a newly engineered fix that is meant to solve some other issues - besides the starter i am not wanting to change things up too much. In the end i may have no choice but to use the less desirable LS starter.

Last edited:
Back