What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Torque value for crush washer type plug

Bavafa

Well Known Member
I know there is a procedure for properly tightening a plug with a crush washer type (i.e. oil screen plug) but I have forgotten it. I know tthat the crush washer is installed with the slit part to the non-moving side and you are suppose to hand tighten it and then xxx number of turns. What is the xxx
Please correct me if I remember the whole thing incorrectly

Thank you.
If I read this correctly, it says turn 90 degree for copper after the surfaces touch. Only quarter of turn seems a bit less than what I remember but it says so in this guide so I must have remember incorrectly.

I've been using 3/4 of a turn for a long time and no leaks, but apparently I've have been over torquing.

135 degrees

Turn it 135 degrees after contact, no more. I turned it a tad more than 135 exactly one time and of course it leaked and I had to go back and fix it.

Thank you.
If I read this correctly, it says turn 90 degree for copper after the surfaces touch. Only quarter of turn seems a bit less than what I remember but it says so in this guide so I must have remember incorrectly.

Thank you.

Check the parts catalogue for your engine. I show that oil screen plug as 1.00x20 Lycoming P/N LW-12545, so 20 tpi, which takes 135 degrees, not 90.

Thank you.

The number of degrees depends upon the thread pitch. The courser the thread, the fewer the degrees of turn.

Larry

Print the last 2 pages and laminate, very useful reference for general maintenance.

Back